Anybody ever complained over a broken string?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• valevale Frets: 1052
    edited June 2018
    if it was a posh bass string then i might. i was thinking about la bella flats recently & they seem a lot for four strings (£35), so if one broke i would probs report & offer to return for another.

but if it was just a guitar string? while it's undoubtedly annoying, i think you run more of a risk of making everyone at the shop think you are a crazy meldrew, than potentially get any free stuff.
    & even if you did get something free, the staff would probably not be forming a queue to serve you next time you went in. good will flows both ways.

sh*t happens. it's a drag. but sometimes it's better to let the small stuff go to keep the bigger game sweet.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    prlgmnr said:
    and yes, then I got rid of the guitar with the Bigsby
    wiz'd.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I bought a 3 set of Dunlops from the guitar show and they were rusted out of the pack. I took some photos and sent them to customer service and they sent me replacements. 
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 212
    I had a problem with D'Addario high E strings unravelling at the ball end.  This happened with a couple of sets that I'd bought together and installed on two different guitars.  They were very good about it when I contacted them, and sorted me out with some more strings.  
    I later tried Rotosounds for the extra E strings  and slightly lower price, but couldn't get on with those at all!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    no, but I've cried over split milk...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

TBH, you are more likely to fly to the moon propelled by your own bottom gas than be able to prove that it was genuinely the string. 
    Interestingly it’s lack of mass that makes farting your way to the moon so difficult - it would take 300,000 years apparently.

However, pissing has far more mass, and apparently would take a lot less time to propel you along to the moon. 

Oh, apart from the “getting into orbit in the first place” thing....

The world would be a hilarious place if being in charge of a vicious fart was a threat to one's own personal gravity situation!
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7810
    vale said:
    if it was a posh bass string then i might. i was thinking about la bella flats recently & they seem a lot for four strings (£35), so if one broke i would probs report & offer to return for another.

while bass strings can be pricey, double bass strings are more than doubly so - a 4 string orchestral set for pizzicato playing for £625, for example

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 212
    ?Paul_C said:
    vale said:

while bass strings can be pricey, double bass strings are more than doubly so - a 4 string orchestral set for pizzicato playing for £625, for example

I once got a dead string in a double bass set, fortunately Thomastik were fine about replacing it. I'm on their Spirocores, which are a mere £165 per set, but go for years.  
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    vale said:

but if it was just a guitar string? while it's undoubtedly annoying, i think you run more of a risk of making everyone at the shop think you are a crazy meldrew, than potentially get any free stuff.
    & even if you did get something free, the staff would probably not be forming a queue to serve you next time you went in. good will flows both ways.

sh*t happens. it's a drag. but sometimes it's better to let the small stuff go to keep the bigger game sweet.
    I do think bass strings are different. If one broke on me so quickly I’d want money back. Guitar strings, no...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11804
    Alnico said:
    impmann said:

TBH, you are more likely to fly to the moon propelled by your own bottom gas than be able to prove that it was genuinely the string. 
    Interestingly it’s lack of mass that makes farting your way to the moon so difficult - it would take 300,000 years apparently.

However, pissing has far more mass, and apparently would take a lot less time to propel you along to the moon. 

The world would be a hilarious place if being in charge of a vicious fart was a threat to one's own personal gravity situation!
    What is extra impressive is that having gotten into orbit, @Bridgehouse could apply enough force through farting to get upto 0.8 miles per year.

Ironically, he is probably right, assuming the force of his farts can overcome inertia (curry first) given the fairly leisurely acceleration implied, they wouldn't even need to be that forceful!

I think overall though the Apollo program probably still chose the best solution.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Alnico said:
    impmann said:

What is extra impressive is that having gotten into orbit, @Bridgehouse could apply enough force through farting to get upto 0.8 miles per year.

Ironically, he is probably right, assuming the force of his farts can overcome inertia (curry first) given the fairly leisurely acceleration implied, they wouldn't even need to be that forceful!

I think overall though the Apollo program probably still chose the best solution.
    If my farts were powerful enough to allow me to get into orbit then I’m pretty sure my biggest problem is going to be stopping myself before I crash into the moon at a velocity well above .8mph...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11804
    Alnico said:
    impmann said:

If my farts were powerful enough to allow me to get into orbit then I’m pretty sure my biggest problem is going to be stopping myself before I crash into the moon at a velocity well above .8mph...
    Well if you could get a lift up there first in a giant rocket, I think that Elon Musk would probably chip in to try the "thruster" solution.  Those little gas rockets they use currently must be expensive.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1384
    MartinB said:
    I had a problem with D'Addario high E strings unravelling at the ball end.  
    I had this too recently, but I think I've binned the gray plastic thing they came in.

Honestly I like the sound and feel of dadds (I also love the 11-52 sets which EB doesn't do) but they take forever to settle down and I hardly ever broke an EB.