The Fretboard Cover Challenge #1

What's Hot

Comments

• guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1020
    @enjo i found your version very sad but in a good way :) 
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Loved it @thecolourbox , you should have submitted to Spielberg (ready player one)
    Ha thanks, sadly I'm more Stephen Mulhern than Spielberg!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    @enjo i found your version very sad but in a good way :) 
    Thanks! My idea was for a gaelic(ish) lament version - I was going to try and make the lyrics give the impression of someone talking about losing their parents - 'children behave', 'I think we're alone now' etc but gave up making it work - I'm glad it did musically!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Is this still open? Might have a go tonight.. Just discovered Tiffany's version was a cover.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Is this still open? Might have a go tonight.. Just discovered Tiffany's version was a cover.
    Yep... got till the end of the month to get one in!
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Submitted.  

Had good fun playing all the covers to my wife last night who's inevitably a fan of the original.  Smiles all round!
    Nothing special production-wise on mine.  Roland V-drums, a couple of guitars, and a bit of dodgy falsetto.
    Submitted.  

Had good fun playing all the covers to my wife last night who's inevitably a fan of the original.  Smiles all round!
    Added to the playlist... Are you sending a pic to go with it?
    poopot said:
    Submitted.  

Added to the playlist... Are you sending a pic to go with it?
    Nothing springs to mind so I'll pass. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27524
    Im going to completely fail to contribute anything for this - and blame the lady who was going to do vocals for me, but decided to go to Italy instead.  Italy!

I’ll contribute a comment though.
    1. Excellent idea @poopot.  Brilliant!  Thanks for managing it all.
    2. Wow to some, most, or (really) *ALL* of the entrants.  Some proper playing & arranging & mixing.
    3. Have you noticed how many listens these tracks have generated?  

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    edited August 2018
    I've got to say I'm bloody loving these tracks.  They are all completely brilliant in their own way … and so many entries with hopefully some more to come!

I think there's something freeing about "doing a cover".  The composition challenges can be hard, especially if you're not confident in the writing, or inspiration doesn't strike, or it just doesn't feel "ready" in time … with a cover, that bits "done" to some extent so you can just be free to interpret whatever the song is into something YOU want to listen to.  Just have some fun and don't worry about it.

Loving it, I'm already looking forward to whatever the next one will be
    TTony said:
    Im going to completely fail to contribute anything for this - and blame the lady who was going to do vocals for me, but decided to go to Italy instead.  Italy!

I’ll contribute a comment though.
    1. Excellent idea @poopot.  Brilliant!  Thanks for managing it all.
    2. Wow to some, most, or (really) *ALL* of the entrants.  Some proper playing & arranging & mixing.
    3. Have you noticed how many listens these tracks have generated?  

Have to address point 1).

was totally the brain child of @flying_pie nowt to do with me really other than I’m uploading the tracks... I’m I.T. Support on this one!...

cant take the credit for this idea at all.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27524
    Well, in that case, I totally withdraw any credit and all thanks @poopot, and redirect it all to @flying_pie!

Apart from all the thanks due for the admin, organisation and IT support, which stay with @poopot.

:D

Seriously, thanks to everyone, however involved.  I‘Ve just had the playlist on repeat play, and my good lady opined that “they’re better than the original”.

Not that she’s ever heard the *actual* orignal!

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited August 2018
    My entry is on it's way! Poorly mixed, but a great excuse to get some sounds setup on my helix and back into recording, thanks for putting this together :)
    My entry is on it's way! Poorly mixed, but a great excuse to get some sounds setup on my helix and back into recording, thanks for putting this together :)
    Entry received, I’m not in front of a desktop for a few days so I have forwarded your track to @flying_pie to upload ASAP... can’t upload from my phone!!!!!
  • stickersticker Frets: 869

Somehow I have missed this thread ... I have the kernel of an idea that I will try and get done before the deadline .

Great idea for a thread/project and some brilliant entries !

• SteveFSteveF Frets: 538
    Some great entries here so far - not sure I'm going to manage this one, but hope this series continues - great idea - really hope we continue the theme of cheesy songs! :D 
    poopot said:
    Entry received, I’m not in front of a desktop for a few days so I have forwarded your track to @flying_pie to upload ASAP... can’t upload from my phone!!!!!
    Managed to get infront of a proper pooter... entry in the playlist 

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/thefb-cover-challenge-1-i-think-were-alone-now
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    edited August 2018
    Entry submitted .... and apologies to any Johnny Cash fans in advance. 

For my entry I was wondering " If Rick Rubin had played Tiffany’s biggest hit for Johnny Cash during the American Recordings sessions how might that sound " .... 

Well probably nothing like like my lame attempt . 

My usual singing register is much higher so this was a challenge and I don’t play keyboards either but it needed some Hammond in there so I just used my iPad ! 

If nothing else I hope you get the idea/flavour of what I was going for ...