The wonder of thefretboard!

What's Hot
mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
Have seen a few negative threads around lately, in particular the one about @TTony and @digitalscream taking a step back. 

So by way of contrast I thought I would share a bit of positivity as something cool occurred to me this morning. 

I have just had a great couple of hours playing guitar (at one point it was so loud I set the house alarm off as the vibration triggered the motion sensors on the windows). I was playing a Les Paul with pickups from @Mojopickups through cables from Kabl and @designacable into a pedal board with pedals from @Forge @4114Effects @timhulio @ThorpyFX with the other pedals either sourced from the classifieds here or bought due to recommendations on here. Into my dream amp bought from @miserneil into a 2x12 cab made by @Modulus_Amps with the speakers chosen after advice from @ICBM. I have also just bought a new guitar case informed by some very helpful comments on here, tweaked my setup based on some help from @FelineGuitars and after next payday will be in touch with @TheGuitarWeasel about a new wiring harness! 

I bloody love this place and the rare and invaluable resources it allows access to! Marvellous!!!
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 37reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13953
    kiss ass

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    You need to get out more. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    So what you are saying is this place has cost you a fortune and has contributed towards a future asbo. 
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    In my gigging set up a number of my guitars, my amp, cab, pedalboard, majority of pedals, and cables were all either bought here, or chosen based on advice from this place (and it’s previous incarnation). 

It’s still a great place. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    I didn't know those guys were taking a step back, what happened?

I first came around to sell some of my guitars and amps, however it's a nice place to just read about music in general and gear.

I don't care so much about the heated discussions about vintage guitar and vintage dealers that pop up now and then. But if you try not to take things too seriously, there's definitely some cool content here and some nice people to be met.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Got a link to the thread about @TTony?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
  • Ta mate

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    kick ass!!
    FTFY!

I think we have a great place here with access to knowledgeable players and a big range of makers and repairers who are often giving up time to share knowledge and expertise freely.
    I have frowned on the negative shit and the way things descend into too many wanting to stick the boot in.

I think those who only browse or use the classifieds when they come here and never look at what else goes on do miss out on a lot.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14522
    I think we have a great place here with access to knowledgeable players and a big range of makers and repairers who are often giving up time to share knowledge and expertise freely.
    In my opinion, this is a double-edged sword.

Remotely diagnosing repair and modification questions for strangers simultaneously helps the person who posed the question, robs a repairer of work but saves me from the tedium of having to do any of the actual work.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981

Remotely diagnosing repair and modification questions for strangers simultaneously helps the person who posed the question, robs a repairer of work but saves me from the tedium of having to do any of the actual work.
    I'd be surprised if it is as much of a double edged sword as say. I watched a crimson guitars video earlier this morning where Ben Crowe suggested the YouTube videos cost Crimson about 50k a year (latest what’s on the bench video) - on their YouTube channel they give away how they do virtually everything. Far from damaging them I think it’s enhanced their brand. Without youtube I wouldn’t have heard of them and wouldn’t have purchased from them in the past or gone on a guitar maintenance course with them as I did so I've given them a good few hundred quid of business because they've shared tips on youtube.

I’d say it’s the same on here. Maybe I'm wrong but I’d imagine Feline and other builders/businesses that regularly contribute on here have probably on balance benefited from being contributing members here even where they are giving away 'trade secrets'. I know I’d give them my business ahead of others thanks to the regular contributions and help/advice they’ve made. If someone’s determined to fix/build something themselves (as I was) they’ll seek out the info and find it from somewhere. Why not be the one to help them and get your own brand out there too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I think we have a great place here with access to knowledgeable players and a big range of makers and repairers who are often giving up time to share knowledge and expertise freely.

I often wonder about this, but many dont have the means to travel the UK to go to the best of the best like you guys. I made the long rare trip to Feline in London after he helped me a lot with remote advice, I don't think I'd have done that if this forum wasn't so conducive to constructive aid like that. 

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Sad to hear of the negative stuff. I tend to dip in and out of the forum in the same way that I tend to treat social media. Either playing music or working within the music industry has been my day job for 34 years ( bloody hell, I just worked that out and realise I am now officially ancient ) and I have come to accept that both amateur and profession , there is a high percentage of knobbery  associated with music. I think this forum is a breath of fresh air ( in my experience at least ) . There are some very knowledgeable people here and a culture of gracious patience ( a rare thing on music forums ). My reason for dipping in now and again is simply that I am still as geeky and passionate about guitars and gear in general as I was when I got my first guitar in 1973 ( Kinell ) and it's brilliant to read discussions ( and sometimes participate ) involving folk who obviously love the instrument more than going off on loud mouthed ego trips which seems to ruin USA based groups. Its a pleasure to be involved because it keeps rekindling my love of the guitar and makes me ask myself questions based on other folks experience. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10579
    tFB Trader
    Like Jonathan @FelineGuitars I've been here since day one, and I have always felt that we as makers get back a huge amount in feedback, and yes, gain a pool of potential customers from the forum. But also participating and 'giving back' is fun: 
    I used to own a bricks and mortar guitar shop in the 80s/90s and miss the Saturday morning coffee and banter we used to have, and real contact with customers. At it's best the forum recreates this a little for me. 

Yes I see the negative aspects of the forum, and indeed have spent a while away and posting less regularly and the last few months due to precisely this. I am trying the water again, but I do believe some basic changes have to be made to the way things work in order that one can feel safe posting, without dick-wittery being hurled about for no good reason except mischief. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    @TheGuitarWeasel ; Forums users need to pick and choose what they read I think and stop blaming the forum for any issues. It's a large forum with a lot going on! You don't have to read every post. Enjoy the areas of the forum you’re actually interested in. For example, Areas like Making & modding/Making Music/Music etc are great and overall extremely positive areas of the forum, I've changed the way I approach this place now. Generally I avoid Off topic, Behind closed doors etc. Let people who want to argue about stuff .. argue about what they want. Its your choice the click on the link. This forum is great and I visit it daily still although I don't post as much anymore but just be smart about how you use it .... making and modding is a bloody treasure trove of fantastic threads!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2018 tFB Trader
    eSully said:
    @TheGuitarWeasel ;; Forums users need to pick and choose what they read I think and stop blaming the forum for any issues. It's a large forum with a lot going on! You don't have to read every post. Enjoy the areas of the forum you’re actually interested in. For example, Areas like Making & modding/Making Music/Music etc are great and overall extremely positive areas of the forum, I've changed the way I approach this place now. Generally I avoid Off topic, Behind closed doors etc. Let people who want to argue about stuff .. argue about what they want. Its your choice the click on the link. This forum is great and I visit it daily still although I don't post as much anymore but just be smart about how you use it .... making and modding is a bloody treasure trove of fantastic threads!!
    I don't think people are blaming the forum. An internet forum is simply a software solution, it is only a community because of the people who use it and a degree of shared respect.The issues that caused @TTony and @digitalscream to step back were not issues caused by the forum itself, but by some people's lack of self control and lack of respect within the forum.

I agree it can be a brilliant place, and a wonderful resource ... and I avoid Off Topic and BCD like the plague :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    eSully said:
    @TheGuitarWeasel ;;;;;; Forums users need to pick and choose what they read I think and stop blaming the forum for any issues. It's a large forum with a lot going on! You don't have to read every post. Enjoy the areas of the forum you’re actually interested in. For example, Areas like Making & modding/Making Music/Music etc are great and overall extremely positive areas of the forum, I've changed the way I approach this place now. Generally I avoid Off topic, Behind closed doors etc. Let people who want to argue about stuff .. argue about what they want. Its your choice the click on the link. This forum is great and I visit it daily still although I don't post as much anymore but just be smart about how you use it .... making and modding is a bloody treasure trove of fantastic threads!!
    I don't think people are blaming the forum. An internet forum is simply a software solution, it is only a community because of the people who use it and a degree of shared respect.The issues that caused @TTony and @digitalscream to step back were not issues caused by the forum itself, but by some people's lack of self control and lack of respect within the forum.

I agree it can be a brilliant place, and a wonderful resource ... and I avoid Off Topic and BCD like the plague :-)
    Sorry @TheGuitarWeasel - Not directed at you at all, I referenced you in what was basically a rant about user behaviour  - I agree with you completely. People need to appreciate the effort that goes into supplying a free resource like this and be more reasonable in their behaviour
    tFB Trader
    eSully said:
    eSully said:
    @TheGuitarWeasel ;;;;;; Forums users need to pick and choose what they read I think and stop blaming the forum for any issues. It's a large forum with a lot going on! You don't have to read every post. Enjoy the areas of the forum you’re actually interested in. For example, Areas like Making & modding/Making Music/Music etc are great and overall extremely positive areas of the forum, I've changed the way I approach this place now. Generally I avoid Off topic, Behind closed doors etc. Let people who want to argue about stuff .. argue about what they want. Its your choice the click on the link. This forum is great and I visit it daily still although I don't post as much anymore but just be smart about how you use it .... making and modding is a bloody treasure trove of fantastic threads!!

Sorry @TheGuitarWeasel - Not directed at you at all, I referenced you in what was basically a rant about user behaviour  - I agree with you completely. People need to appreciate the effort that goes into supplying a free resource like this and be more reasonable in their behaviour
    No offence taken :-) 
    For those interested in my occasional classic pickup rewind articles ... I have just had a box of dead pickups from a music shop I regularly do work for, that include some interesting ones ... so stand by for another 'over the shoulder' look in on my workshop bench ... and surgery on more ancient buggered transducers :-)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10709
    eSully said:
    eSully said:

For those interested in my occasional classic pickup rewind articles ... I have just had a box of dead pickups from a music shop I regularly do work for, that include some interesting ones ... so stand by for another 'over the shoulder' look in on my workshop bench ... and surgery on more ancient buggered transducers :-)
    Awesome old chap, look forward to that :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    eSully said:
    eSully said:

Sounds great, Looks forward to reading it :)