The wonder of thefretboard!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14526
    I do believe some basic changes have to be made to the way things work in order that one can feel safe posting, without dick-wittery being hurled about for no good reason except mischief. 
    An American forum on which I used to be a regular allowed invitation-only private chat rooms. Registered members with a common interest could discuss it amongst themselves without fear of interruption from the dense or the uninformed.

A couple of Strines, a few other Brits and I created our own private group to discuss Cricket. This neatly avoided the need to explain EVERYTHING, EVERY TIME, to the vast majority of the forum membership. It also made possible the exchange of a good deal of sledging and the use of Proper English - including vulgar expressions not commonly used in the United States.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10582
    tFB Trader
    I do believe some basic changes have to be made to the way things work in order that one can feel safe posting, without dick-wittery being hurled about for no good reason except mischief. 
    An American forum on which I used to be a regular allowed invitation-only private chat rooms. Registered members with a common interest could discuss it amongst themselves without fear of interruption from the dense or the uninformed.

A couple of Strines, a few other Brits and I created our own private group to discuss Cricket. This neatly avoided the need to explain EVERYTHING, EVERY TIME, to the vast majority of the forum membership. It also made possible the exchange of a good deal of sledging and the use of Proper English - including vulgar expressions not commonly used in the United States.
    A very good idea ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11806
    I'm actually struggling a bit to identify which user behaviour has everyone riled up quite so much.

There have certainly been some threads where a bit of calming down was in order, but normally it was rooted in the behaviour of some rather short-lived members who ended up banned.

What if we broke it down to two extremes of what members often seem to actually want (lets assume they want one of these, plus classifieds).

1. A forum where a certain group (of non-specific nature) discuss specific guitar related topics, and which provides a sharing place for those already in the know and of a certain point of view.
    2. A place where anyone with the vaguely common interest of playing guitar can hang out and shoot the sh*t.

I've always though that TFB navigates rather well between these extremes, but maybe others don't feel this way?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14526
    two extremes
    These need to overlap. The "vaguely common" will sometimes wish to draw on the knowledge base of the "specific" lot. The difficulty arises when detailed descriptions are called for. Hence, the requests for photographs of the offending guitar issue.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    When I had my PRS stolen in 2016. So many people helped me to get the word out. I am eternally grateful. This s a great place. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    two extremes
    These need to overlap. The "vaguely common" will sometimes wish to draw on the knowledge base of the "specific" lot. The difficulty arises when detailed descriptions are called for. Hence, the requests for photographs of the offending guitar issue.

Sorry I wasn't referring to anything specific, not sure what the offending guitar issue was?

I couldn't agree more that the two need to overlap, not only do the "vaguely common" need to draw on the knowledge of those who have it and so generously offer it on here, but fostering the interest of the "vaguely common" is what will keep the art/hobby/pursuit of guitar playing, and gear collecting (two different but complementary things) going once the boomers shuffle off this mortal coil.

It could be argued that we need as many Ed Sheeran and 1975 fans coming on board TFB and playing/loving guitar as we have guys from the 90s (like me) and guys who grew up in the 70s and 80s.
    tFB Trader
    two extremes

Sorry I wasn't referring to anything specific, not sure what the offending guitar issue was?

I couldn't agree more that the two need to overlap, not only do the "vaguely common" need to draw on the knowledge of those who have it and so generously offer it on here, but fostering the interest of the "vaguely common" is what will keep the art/hobby/pursuit of guitar playing, and gear collecting (two different but complementary things) going once the boomers shuffle off this mortal coil.

It could be argued that we need as many Ed Sheeran and 1975 fans coming on board TFB and playing/loving guitar as we have guys from the 90s (like me) and guys who grew up in the 70s and 80s.
    Lol I grew up in the sixties ... started gigging in the 70s ... fuck I feel old
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

two extremes

Lol I grew up in the sixties ... started gigging in the 70s ... fuck I feel old
    Apologies I didn't mean to exclude those who grew up in the 60s! :)
  • I'm relatively new on here but I've had nothing but positive and funny experiences on here. Long may it continue 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5789
    edited July 2018
    Running a forum is like opening up your living room to friends to come round anytime to chat and hang out. It’s lovey and there’s always good company and some friendly chat. 

Then as the numbers start to grow, your whole house gets taken over and as they grow more, you find you don’t have time to stop and hang
    out like you used to. You spend a lot of time dealing with the small minority and keeping the warm welcome going for the majority. Most of whom you don’t even know anymore. 

Eventually, you get to a point where you’d like your house and your peace and quiet back. Perhaps if everyone who came in appreciated that they are in your personal space and respected everyone around them, that day wouldn’t happen. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    dazzajl said:
    Running a forum is like opening up your living room to friends to come round anytime to chat and hang out. It’s lovey and there’s always good company and some friendly chat. 

Then as the numbers start to grow, your whole house gets taken over and as they grow more, you find you don’t have time to stop and hang
    out like you used to. You spend a lot of time dealing with the small minority and keeping the warm welcome going for the majority. Most of whom you don’t even know anymore. 

Eventually, you get to a point where you’d like your house and your peace and quiet back. Perhaps if everyone who came in appreciated that they are in your personal space and respected everyone around them, that day wouldn’t happen. 
    Wisdom awarded ...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom