My Strat feeds back a lot

What's Hot
MatthewShredderyMatthewShreddery Frets: 861
edited July 2018 in Guitar
So I own a 60th Anniversary Classic Player Strat. It's the mexican one, with the gold annodised scratchplate.
I've been noting that when I use a fair bit of gain, it feeds back a lot, especially the bridge pickup. I'm not using silly amounts of gain, but a fair bit, if that makes sense. (I'm not 15!)
I've also noticed that when operating the pickup selector, I can hear the mechanical sounds of the sliders brushing past the terminals coming out of the amp. Also if I tap on the scratch plate I can here it through the amp.

Any suggestions as to what may be the issue?

Thanks 

EDIT:
I have fitted Tonerider City Limits pickups. I think I've wired them correctly...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited July 2018
    If you have wired them correctly, the pickups must be microphonic, i.e. not wax potted.
    And/or maybe the earth wire is not making proper contact beneath the bridge....?

But try contacting Tonerider; this page includes a wiring diagram.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72381
    MatthewShreddery said:

the gold annodised scratchplate.

Any suggestions as to what may be the issue?
    That.

They're quite notorious for it. The metal interacts with the magnetic field of the pickups, much more weakly than the strings, but enough to produce a small signal if you use enough gain.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Interesting, thank you @jdgm ;
    So if they're microphonic, is that a manufacturing issue that I could bring up with Tonerider?
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    No, unfortunately.

And ICBM's post above details something I knew absolutely nothing of. Probably that then!
  • @ICBM thanks as per usual.
    I did suspect the pickguard may be the issue. I guess back in the 50's nobody was using lots of gain!
    Off I go to order an 8 hole plastic plate...
  • Anyone recommend a place to buy an 8 hole guard for a Mex Strat?
    The other option is to stick the guard to the body, with something like double-sided tape or a small amount of silicone glue - that should stop the vibration or at least reduce it enough to be usable. Obviously it does make taking the guard off again more difficult...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• No I can't be assed with that. I'll just buy a plastic guard. I don't really like the gold one anyway!
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Had the same issue with mine.

got around it by covering the back of the guard with gaffa... you will also need to add some sort of shielding once you have applied the tape.

• Cool idea but I seriously can;t be bothered with the faff. I'm just gonna get a PVC Guard and be done with it!
    poopot said:

got around it by covering the back of the guard with gaffa... you will also need to add some sort of shielding once you have applied the tape.
    No, just cut enough of a circle in the tape around the volume pot that it makes contact.

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    ICBM said:
    poopot said:

No, just cut enough of a circle in the tape around the volume pot that it makes contact.
    This is the thing... I had absolutely no continuity with that scratchplate, even tho’ the washers had gripped into the ally... it wasn’t making a connection to ground at all!... tested it with one lead on the back of a pot and the other against a bare bit of ally!... was weird to say the least...

poopot said:

This is the thing... I had absolutely no continuity with that scratchplate, even tho’ the washers had gripped into the ally... it wasn’t making a connection to ground at all!... tested it with one lead on the back of a pot and the other against a bare bit of ally!... was weird to say the least...
    That's very strange! One of the reasons Fender used it in the first place is that it's a very good shield. It's normal not to get a contact on the anodising, which is a non-conductive surface layer, but you should on bare metal.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31593
    You don't happen to have a baseplate on the bridge pickup by any chance? 

They can be very noisy if they're not fitted correctly. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12372
    Guitars electric do 8 hole guards that fit classic players. I might want the gold one if it will fit my mij ?
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10465
    edited July 2018 tFB Trader
    Microphonic behavior is nearly always caused by something other than the strings interacting (vibrating) with a pickup's magnetic field. The scratchplate here is acting like the diaphragm on a microphone as far as i can see. One can either dampen it or replace it with a plastic alternative.  A gasket cut from thin sheet rubber and but between the guitar body and the plate should do it (if you want to keep the plate). An unpotted humbucker cover can do exactly the same thing.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    @MatthewShreddery can I buy the Anodised plate when you've changed it please?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• @paulnb57 You get dibs if my arrangement with @munckee falls through
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    @paulnb57 You get dibs if my arrangement with @munckee falls through
    Thanks! Sorry, I missed munkee's post.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom