My Strat feeds back a lot

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10467
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    "and do you HAVE to wear that bloody  T shirt while you're playing me ... AGAIN?"
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Guitar feedback is their equivalent to them throwing up all over your feet...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

https://digitech.com/en/products/freqout
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    tFB Trader
    Hattigol said:
    Mine feeds back like a bastard too. Then again, I do have this turned on - might that be the cause?

Lol ... but serious point:
    Feedback and squeal are two different animals: feedback can be brought in at various harmonic points and controlled. Squeal caused by severe microphhony is on one narrow, high band ... and simply squeals uncontrollably whatever you do.
    I used to gig a semi-acoustic fitted with very high gain pickups and a dirty great Marshall stack back in the eighties, it would feedback like a bugger, but I could control it by choosing where I stood on stage, turning into the amp on certain notes etc. 
    Guess I was going through my Ted Nugent phase :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Yes, good point ;
    I mean squeal 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    Hattigol said:
    Mine feeds back like a bastard too. Then again, I do have this turned on - might that be the cause?

Feedback and squeal are two different animals: feedback can be brought in at various harmonic points and controlled. Squeal caused by severe microphhony is on one narrow, high band ... and simply squeals uncontrollably whatever you do.
    I used to gig a semi-acoustic fitted with very high gain pickups and a dirty great Marshall stack back in the eighties, it would feedback like a bugger, but I could control it by choosing where I stood on stage, turning into the amp on certain notes etc. 
    I'm getting real squeal on my tele bridge pickup at rehearsal/gigging levels. I'm gonna swap the pickup springs for rubber tubing next string change and see if that helps but I'm not sure what else I can do really  :s
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    You could always just turn the gain down a bit... ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:
    I mainly play clean!
  • impmann said:
    Heresy!!!
    tFB Trader
    bbill335 said:
    Hattigol said:

I'm getting real squeal on my tele bridge pickup at rehearsal/gigging levels. I'm gonna swap the pickup springs for rubber tubing next string change and see if that helps but I'm not sure what else I can do really  :s
    Likely to be a loose baseplate.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    bbill335 said:

Likely to be a loose baseplate.
    It can also be the whole bridge vibrating - it tends not to be tight to the body at the front. Likewise double-sided tape or silicone can help.

Try temporarily jamming a bit of folded paper or something under the front corners of the bridge and see if it stops it or reduces it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Will check next time the bridge is off. Thanks!
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12372
    ICBM said:
    poopot said:

got around it by covering the back of the guard with gaffa... you will also need to add some sort of shielding once you have applied the tape.
    No, just cut enough of a circle in the tape around the volume pot that it makes contact.
    Hi @ICBM I have taken delivery of the offending anodised scratch plate.  I had a little dig around and have seen various solutions, one is to ground the plate, one was to put strips of electrical tape on the plate but leave gaps then there is the gaffa tape solution but I don't have shielding tape.

I hardly ever use lots of gain, just a tubescreamer but want to deal with it now.

Whats the quickest/easiest/most idiot proof solution with what I will have to hand.  I have wire if it is to solder a wire from the plate to something.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    If you scrape the coating off around the volume control - on the underside obviously :) - it will do it. I know what poopot said, but I can only assume it somehow didn’t bite right through the anodising on his one. If you have metal-to-metal contact, it *will* work as a shield without needing to do anything else.

You can then use double-sided tape or silicone - as sparingly as you can - to stick the plate to the body and stop it vibrating. I’ve also done a few - actually including a couple of plastic ones, which vibrated enough to make the pickups too ‘lively’ - just by stuffing some soft padding into the cavity. Polyester wool as used in hi-fi speakers seems to work well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    If you scrape the coating off around the volume control - on the underside obviously :) - it will do it. I know what poopot said, but I can only assume it somehow didn’t bite right through the anodising on his one. If you have metal-to-metal contact, it *will* work as a shield without needing to do anything else.

You can then use double-sided tape or silicone - as sparingly as you can - to stick the plate to the body and stop it vibrating. I’ve also done a few - actually including a couple of plastic ones, which vibrated enough to make the pickups too ‘lively’ - just by stuffing some soft padding into the cavity. Polyester wool as used in hi-fi speakers seems to work well.
    Brilliant thanks will let you know how it goes.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4704
    bbill335 said:
    I had similar with mine.  Got the most squealy bridge possible for the classic tele sound (glendale) then had to dampen it with silicone.
    It’s basically like a tuning fork.

The Callaham is very good if going the other way.  Thick and has screw holes at either end.
    Sounds different, loses twang but sounds fuller and has less of the high Roy Buchanan put your teeth on edge treble.
    bbill335 said:
    I had similar with mine.  Got the most squealy bridge possible for the classic tele sound (glendale) then had to dampen it with silicone.
    It’s basically like a tuning fork.

The Callaham is very good if going the other way.  Thick and has screw holes at either end.
    Sounds different, loses twang but sounds fuller and has less of the high Roy Buchanan put your teeth on edge treble.
    I haven't actually got under the hood to fix it yet but I don't think the bridge plate is my problem, it's the base plate on the pickup. The fixes I've got are to swap the height-adjustment springs for rubber tubing and to fix the base plate more securely with carpet tape. Again, will report back when I get around to doing it.
  • So just a quick update. I changed the scratch plate and now it does not squeal, unless I want it to!

Well Matt sold me the anodised plate, I roughly sanded round the volume pot as advised by @icbm until I could see the silver colour underneath and no issues, I don't play tons of gain but no vibrating or microphonics and looks terrific, nicely worn in by Matt too.  Here are the pics @lovestrat74

https://i.imgur.com/mgrZs3L.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/I3Gg4ia.jpg

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2529
    Looking good @munckee ; 8 holer too :+1: