Ditching Sky

What's Hot
MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
Had enough of Sky, if my maths are right I can get PlusNet fibre and Netflix/Amazon (plus the additional cost of a FreeSat box) for a third of what I'm paying Sky for ADSL broadband, or BT fibre and TV for a little less than half!

Anyone jumped the Sky ship and regretted it?
Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12375
    Have you tried the “I’m going, please close my account” ploy? Often you’ll get their retention people phoning you back with a better offer to get you to stay. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12371
    My sister in law constantly misses sky after moving to virgin because sky tv is more user friendly apparently. However I have whole sky TVs package in three rooms plus broadband and could cure Liberia's deficit with the monthly cost. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14440
    My father subscribed for several years - mainly for Cricket and Formula 1 motor racing. Everything else was filler. Since ending that subscription, he occasionally bemoans not having the live coverage but not much.

One tip: End your subscription in writing rather than by telephone or e-mail. It prevents the representative wheedling away at you to change your mind by offering the next three months at a discount rate.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    munckee said:
    My sister in law constantly misses sky after moving to virgin because sky tv is more user friendly apparently. However I have whole sky TVs package in three rooms plus broadband and could cure Liberia's deficit with the monthly cost. 
    Virgin is 10 times better with the new V6 box compared to the old TiVo one. Has she upgraded? 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12371
    boogieman said:
    munckee said:
    Virgin is 10 times better with the new V6 box compared to the old TiVo one. Has she upgraded? 
      Not sure if she had. I will mention it. 
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    Ditched it in January this year. Bought a Freesat + Box s/h (from this forum) which being an older model is a little clunky but works fine. Also have an old sky box running the free to air channels in another room.

We don't miss it at all and have saved over  £500 so far

Where we are we cannot get reception via an aerial - even the aerial engineer chap agreed it wasn't possible to do and as Virgin isn't available we are stuck with sattelite for TV.

munckee said:
    boogieman said:
    munckee said:
      Not sure if she had. I will mention it. 
    Should be a free upgrade, definitely worth doing. The new style WiFi router is better too, also free. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Ditchling Sky

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I don’t watch as much tube as I used to, but still like an hour or two on weeknights. Got a decent smart TV and a Netflix sub and have a backlog of things to watch. Genuinely cannot remember the last time I watched scheduled programming.

Not a footy fan, but miss the cricket despite the endless other ways of keeping up. Go to the occasional match at Old Trafford, but would still like a bit on the telly in between. That’s the only thing I miss on MurdochView. I watch it when at my parents’ place, but they’re retired so if they want to watch a five-day test in its entirety to get more value from their Sky sub, they can. 

I have the the old Virgin TiVo box which came as part of my broadband deal and agree, it’s poor. It just sits under the smart telly gathering dust. 
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    I left Sky for a short time but found BT TV to be laughably bad. It may be OK if you like sport.
    Having said that we will probably leave Sky once the child grows out of Nickelodeon etc.
    I have the Sky Box sets package for little more than our Netflix sub.   
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Easy just stop watching sport and practice guitar instead :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I was saying about £75pm for Sky....told them I just needed to save some money, ...got same package down to £47 for a year.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 336
    Ditched Sky about three years ago and bought a Freesat box which paid for itself in about 4 months.

Never had any inkling to go back, as we don’t follow the footy as much as we used to.

Do it, you won’t regret it I’m sure.
    I love my brick
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    I dropped it after Game of Thrones finished its last series and not missed it one single bit.  There are SOOOOO MANY things to watch i simply don't have time to watch it all.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4633
    dropped all live tv viewing. Just have an apple tv loaded with catchup apps + Netflix. If I do want to watch live TV there is tvplayer (picture quality is crap though)
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    I dumped the TV package after many years of threatening to and getting better deals. The last deal they offered wasn't good enough when compared to Netflix. The trouble with Sky is they expect you to pay extra for everything, even HD when all their competitors offer this for free. I got a freesat box which has already paid for itself and have not regretted it. I kept the broadband though because that was pretty competitive.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

Negotiate.

I keep threatening to leave but am still there - Sky Q multiroom with boxsets, phone (no call package) and Fibre max for around £65 p/m.

Always a 12 month discount applied which means annual negotiation which is a moderate hassle but Sky Q is great so seems worthwhile.

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    I have the BT TV (mainly for the UFC on BT sport) but find it great for recording and coverage etc, the app works well too. 
    for the TV/ infinity broadband and phone its only costing me £42/month.
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for the responses.  Got an aerial bloke coming over tomorrow (they're actually getting harder to find...) to tell me what I need to do to beef up my digital signal, and I think think I'll then drop Sky for BT (once the wife has finished watching "The Affair"...)
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    I ditched Sky and went to BT... mega fast internet and enough TV to keep the clan happy... :)