Ditching Sky

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    edited July 2018
    MrBump said:
    Thanks for the responses.  Got an aerial bloke coming over tomorrow (they're actually getting harder to find...) to tell me what I need to do to beef up my digital signal, and I think think I'll then drop Sky for BT (once the wife has finished watching "The Affair"...)
    You don't even need to do that. If you still have the sky dish, simply buy a Humax Freesat Box and that will do everything that you need.....having just re-read your email I'm pretty certain that BT relies upon an aerial to access the EPG info even though most of the BT content is delivered over broadband connection.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    boogieman said:
    munckee said:
    My sister in law constantly misses sky after moving to virgin because sky tv is more user friendly apparently. However I have whole sky TVs package in three rooms plus broadband and could cure Liberia's deficit with the monthly cost. 
    Virgin is 10 times better with the new V6 box compared to the old TiVo one. Has she upgraded? 
    Not to derail the thread, but I moved from EE to Virgin recently. It's a better box overall, but why oh why can't I have 5 or 6 channels on constant record? It has integration to catch-up apps, which is patchy at best, but I do miss that feature of the EE box.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1020
    Not had a problem with sky until BT broke our phone.... then took me 3hrs on the phone to sky support to get them to send the BT engineer out....
    BT engineer... your problem is with our euipment !!!
    me: yer I know that but tell that to the dim whitted sky support person
    BT: three hrs on the phone, what did they do
    me: oh said it was my kindle causing issues with the internet
    BT: idiots
    me: funny thing i work in IT ....
    “Ken sent me.”
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    We (in ROI) ditched Sky over a year ago, bought a Humax FreeSat box with HD fitted and have no regrets.  Apart from regretting that we did not do so earlier!  The Humax box uses the Sky sat dish, pulls in the BBC & ITV channels plus a few more that we don't watch anyway.  The Irish stations are on Saroview, for which we got an aerial guy to fit a new aerial.

Financially it is a win for us.  Eight months Sky subscription is all it took to pay for the Saroview aerial, a new Samsung TV and the Humax box.  We are now in a profit situation with no outgoings for TV.  The user interface is not quite as slick as that on Sky but it is more than good enough for what little TV we watch.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum