It has been a while....NGD

What's Hot
ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
edited July 2018 in Guitar
A couple of weeks ago a guitar came up on the forum that I almost managed to resist. My fondness for Les Pauls is well know, and so when a Stig single cut came up it was pretty inevitable. I almost bought a Stig last year. And then didn't. When this came up I almost jumped on it. Then didn't. Then did. Then didn't. Then slept on it and figured I didn't know when one would come up again. So I went for it.

I paid for it and then got on various aeroplanes for work. So despite having shelled out for it I couldn't get my hands on it until today. The seller, @jimmyguitar, remains a fine gentleman and put up with my prevarication and then general messing about like a star. The only option due to ridiculous schedules was to ship it. Packaged perfectly Royal Mail arrived promptly this morning with the parcel.

And oh my Lord. It really is sublime. I've never played a real one, but the Stig is by far the best single cut I have ever played. Hands down. So far I've only been able to put it through a little practice amp, but I can't wait to introduce it to my Anniversary Twin tomorrow. I have a feeling it's going to be a match made in absolute heaven. In the meantime I'm playing it at every opportunity (between work and a 5 year old's birthday). 

Oh, and I managed to take some pics too

So that's me retired from buying guitars. Full stop*. (Apart from the custom build that's underway). 

*probably. For today definitely. And most likely tomorrow too.
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1542
    Stunning. How does it compare to your Ryders?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    Good score that man. 

I wanted to get in on this one too but alas was not quick enough. Dibs! ;) 

Hope you're well my man 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    nice top on that
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Kalimna said:
    I wondered that too ! 
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
    Sniff!  :'(
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
    So glad it went to such a good home! Enjoy cranking it Nik!
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Kalimna said:
    Can you give me a couple of days on that one? The obvious quick answer is it feels old already. Which isn’t surprising. Whereas the Ryder’s feel like new guitars - no surprises there.

This is weightier and I suspect that will translate across. But make no mistake the Ryder’s are superb....and come in at a very very competitive price.

For me the interesting comparison will be against my True Historic R7, which is still the best Les Paul I have. I think....
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    Looks absolutely stunning. Love the sympathetic ageing too.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3235
    You have the finest guitars buddy! Must get over this hols for a coffee and jam -still want to risk putting my Eastman up against a few of them! :)
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    You have the finest guitars buddy! Must get over this hols for a coffee and jam -still want to risk putting my Eastman up against a few of them! :)

Thanks man. And yes, cheers me over - you are always welcome! Next couple of weeks are a write off - but some point in August? 

Speak soon mate
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3235
    ellwood said:

Thanks man. And yes, cheers me over - you are always welcome! Next couple of weeks are a write off - but some point in August? 

Speak soon mate
    Much the same here so August sounds good, will definitely try to sort something.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Nice score fella!

I mentioned to the wife the other day that my collection is pretty much done apart from the custom build I'm hoping to commision for my 50th birthday next year and she just burst out laughing. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Some say he's the most prolific guitar buyer in the world.

Others say his choice in Les Pauls is sublime, but suspect.

And then there are those that say he's a secret bedroom dealer. 

We just know him as the @ellwood ;

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Nice. 

Am all done. There will be a fs thread at some point later/this weekend as I clear out the unused. But then I'm happy to hand the mantle on to someone else...you stepping up?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ellwood said:

Nice. 

Am all done. There will be a fs thread at some point later/this weekend as I clear out the unused. But then I'm happy to hand the mantle on to someone else...you stepping up?
    My guitar buying days are over mate. I've not even bought a new bass for a while - made a couple of projects but that's it. 

If you have found a selection that you are happy with and you're going to stick rather than twist then good on you - it's actually a really lovely place to be. I've actually started to get used to some of my basses like old friends rather than forget what I have from one day to the next!!!
  • AnderzAnderz Frets: 30
    Let's hope you love it so much that buying guitars will stop from now on. It can be done. I am living proof!

Anyway it looks awesome and big congratz with the purchase of that beauty!
    Computer Shop UK Your PC Needs In One Place: https://computershopuk.com/
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4869
    Wow, when this popped up I wished I had the money but unfortunately I didn't, therefore I'm super pleased it went to a good home with you dude! Looks amazing, congrats and enjoy! :)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

So, in all truth, after a couple of days playing the hell out of this and the True Historic R7 I already have I have realised that I prefer my R7. The Stig is an utterly sublime thing, but so is my R7. And if I move it on I can keep my 75 Tele too. Interesting that having not bought anything for a few months, I bought two guitars this month and both have convinced me that I already have the guitars that I want. Which is a nice place to be. 

Have contacted the seller to see if he wants it back, and then will be talking to those who contacted me to see if I would consider letting it go.

I'm now off to sit with @bridgehouse in the retired buyers corner and make a racket...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom