Bernie Marsden's The Beast played by Chris Buck

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10595
    tFB Trader
    normula1 said:
    Pretty sure I read that the neck ring is a DiMarzio replacement as the original broke way back when.
    Would make sense ... as it's not been adjusted to match the top contour at all.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hey guys, Chris here (aka serial nob tweaker!)

Firstly, thanks for sharing the vid; great to see it's got people talking! In regard to adjusting the volume, it's just a habit I've developed through constantly flicking between my pick and fingers. I've never seen the volume knob as a 'set and forget' kinda thing...

I can't remember exactly where the volume for each pickup was set in the video but I would say that neither were above 6 or 7 at the video's loudest point. I know that neither were 'wide open' at any point. It's part of the fun of playing a guitar that good; there's a clarity and definition from 1 through to 10. I just wish I'd had more time with it...and in regard to adjusting the neck pickup volume when I was on the bridge, it was in anticipation of going onto the middle position which you can see me do just as the video fades. Unfortunately, Bernie came in and started talking to me just as I did that, hence the video fading! C'est la vie. Next time! 

Either way though, thanks for watching. Also, yes to those speculating it's a DiMarzio replacement. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 18reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    No need to justify anything mate! Great playing and stick around.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Hey guys, Chris here (aka serial nob tweaker!)

Firstly, thanks for sharing the vid; great to see it's got people talking! In regard to adjusting the volume, it's just a habit I've developed through constantly flicking between my pick and fingers. I've never seen the volume knob as a 'set and forget' kinda thing...

I can't remember exactly where the volume for each pickup was set in the video but I would say that neither were above 6 or 7 at the video's loudest point. I know that neither were 'wide open' at any point. It's part of the fun of playing a guitar that good; there's a clarity and definition from 1 through to 10. I just wish I'd had more time with it...and in regard to adjusting the neck pickup volume when I was on the bridge, it was in anticipation of going onto the middle position which you can see me do just as the video fades. Unfortunately, Bernie came in and started talking to me just as I did that, hence the video fading! C'est la vie. Next time! 

Either way though, thanks for watching. Also, yes to those speculating it's a DiMarzio replacement. 
    That shut them up ;)

Sounded great dude
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Hey guys, Chris here (aka serial nob tweaker!)

Some of the best rappers of all time reach for their knob in between each bar, no reason guitarists shouldn't.

Very nice playing as everyone has said, I'll be subscribing.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914

What amp where you using? It sounded superb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 784
    Another 'nice playing' Chris. It reminds me a little of Sam Vilo's playing which can only be complimentary. I can't believe the guitar's worth more than my house though.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited July 2018

That shut them up

Sounded great dude
    Just goes to show that some fellow guitarists are so quick to judge/criticise. Probably just jealousy so hats off to any guitarist who can create that response in someone 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

That shut them up

Sounded great dude
    Just goes to show that some fellow guitarists are so quick to judge/criticise. Probably just jealousy so hats off to any guitarist who can create that response in someone 
    Who judged or criticised? Pretty much everyone praised the playing, I doubt the comments about the knob habit were actually meant to be critical. I'm pretty sure no-one mentioned that because they were jealous of the playing lol
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13957
    edited July 2018

^^ This. I started the post and think Chris has impeccable taste, tone and superb phrasing on all of his YouTube clips and I am now subscribed to his channel.

I think the camera angle of this clip brings his hand movements to the fore, it's just an observation that's all. Good angle though as I have grabbed a few of his licks to "borrow" by watching his left hand positions!

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
    Fabulous playing @ChrisBuckGuitar !   

I have also been accused of being an inveterate knob twiddler from time to time, but the nuances of a good Les Paul are so addictive it's hard not to sometimes. Mine is rarely on ten either, and the expressive possibilities of keeping a loud amp under control are great fun. 

1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    Welcome @ChrisBuckGuitar, that clip is a masterclass in tone and tasteful playing, you fiddle with your knob(s) for all you’re worth mate! :)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    It was a general observation really that I see on the internet. Not necessarily just this thread ;)
  • meep-meepmeep-meep Frets: 2

I wish he'd stop checking the volume control though, it's on 10 and didn't change in the 3 seconds since you last checked it

I think he's just using it to time himself, to remember to let the playing breathe.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    Chris explains: https://youtu.be/gsMDVbUzweI
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Just goes to show that people really do take on board what some people say. Interesting that chris touched on this subject as it really is forgotten about I.e. Volume knob. I use it all the time which is why I changed my knob pot tapers to  enable me to do this better. Well done @ChrisBuckGuitar ;for taking the time to show the un enlightened how useful that effect can be :) It's what we did before pedals lol
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited July 2018
    I am a great believer in tone controls. Get the right Les Paul and you have the History of Rock Guitar (tones) at your fingertips.
    But not endless  twiddling.

When I first saw Santana performing in the Woodstock movie his mid song knob twiddling looked to me like mild OCD.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
    @Skipped I imagine it was partly todo with nerves as it was their first big gig, but mainly because he'd taken so much acid he barely even remembers it.
    Found this thread to post the response video but I see it was already posted, I must have missed it on here at the time.

That tune he plays at the start of that video is so good! I think this guy is easily one of my favourite Youtube guitar players.