anyone here gigged a Roland JC40.......

2»

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9634
    A surprising JC120 player - Joe Strummer.

Apart from the great highlife/township jive stuff, I associate JC120s with dire bands I used to see on The Tube in the 80s.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi, it's about four years old, bought from bintytwanger of this parish.

I'm based in East/Central London and could meet up at a London station if needed, or you could collect and drink my tea whilst testing it.

Prob looking at around £350 if collected, which is less than I coughed up for it :-)
    You not getting along with it?
  • Slowdive use JC120s, and I saw them at Hyde Park recently.... they make the most sublime sound.
  • You not getting along with it?
    Hiya @BintyTwanger77 I’m getting along with it pretty well actually but I’ve ended up going down the road of tube amps through load boxes and the UAD Apollo platform for effects.

As a stand-alone amp the JC is great, just not using it as much as a should be at the moment.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • You not getting along with it?
    Hiya @BintyTwanger77 I’m getting along with it pretty well actually but I’ve ended up going down the road of tube amps through load boxes and the UAD Apollo platform for effects.

As a stand-alone amp the JC is great, just not using it as much as a should be at the moment.
    Great amp, especially with a gritty compressor in front. As I said when I sold it to you, if I could justify more than one amp I would’ve kept it.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676
    Not me, but I do know someone who regularly gigs one and has no issues with it cutting through.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 308
    Had a rehearsal at the weekend using the JC-40 for the first time in a full band setting. That was drums, bass, two guitars and vocals. Nothing mic’d up apart from vocals. I had the volume set at about 4, so there was certain plenty of headroom left. Although listening to the recordings I could have been a bit louder, but not too much.

I certainly didn’t notice any loss of clarity at higher volumes - it was still nice and sparkly, especially with the chorus on. It wasn’t a particularly large room, so in a bigger room I’d definitely have to use more volume, but I’m sure it would cope alright.

We’ve got a gig next month in a medium sized village hall, so that will be a bigger test obviously, but I’m not too worried. (Fingers crossed etc.)

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    If anyone wants jc120 quality for less money then also look at lab series L5, L7, L9 stunning clean channel.
  • Slowdive use JC120s, and I saw them at Hyde Park recently.... they make the most sublime sound.
    Are they using them in stereo with other amps? Or strictly Roland amps? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    mr-mac said:
    If anyone wants jc120 quality for less money then also look at lab series L5, L7, L9 stunning clean channel.
    The Yamaha G100 is another very good amp that typically sells for only £100-£200, in full working order. Closer-sounding to the JC120, although still without the chorus of course. It also came as a 1x12”, which is useful if the full size of a JC120 is offputting.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    ICBM said:
    mr-mac said:
    The Yamaha G100 is another very good amp that typically sells for only £100-£200, in full working order. Closer-sounding to the JC120, although still without the chorus of course. It also came as a 1x12”, which is useful if the full size of a JC120 is offputting.
    Used by quite a few big names in guitar jazz/ fusion ( like Mike Stern and Alan Holdsworth) so I guess that's credibility as a Jazz Chorus alternative. Paul Rivera designed apparently, the OD channel is supposed to be in faux Boogie territory ( unlike the JC120 OD which is a bit more fart in a bag territory; the JC40 has a different design to make it more useable).  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.