Bass Bridge Problem (Gibson 3 point type)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6077
    ICBM said:
    JezWynd said:

Do you think the Hipshot replacement would be an improvement in that respect, noting that the Epi is not through body strung?
    No, if anything it's worse because the ball ends are lower down so the upward force will be even greater.

You also can't put one on your Epi because it has an arched top.
    I checked that by laying a flat edge between the two ferrules and it looks flat at that point but I take your point about the upward force. I'd be reluctant to install one unless there was a clear advantage as the general quality of the bass really doesn't merit slinging a load of money at it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72395
    If you want a really radical solution - if you're brave and have the right tools - you could to make it a string-through...

That would also solve the problem of the ball-end windings being over the bridge saddles, which can cause odd intonation issues with these bridges.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    If you want a really radical solution - if you're brave and have the right tools - you could to make it a string-through...

That did occur to me but 1. I'm not sure I have the skill to do a professional job of it and 2. The wood it pretty low grade stuff and might chip or tear (especially if I'm doing it). I've bought it up to tuning and it looks to be holding okay at present.

Re. the silks, is it possible to simply burn or cut them away? It seems like such an easy fix that I'm sure there must be some drawback.

Not having frets, intonation isn't so critical and I'm finding it surprisingly easy to find a note simply by sliding up/down to it which seems to be a big part of the fretless sound. Soundwise, the silk is quite noticeable on the E string but not so much on the others.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    If that's the one that was on eBay recently then it's real nice - and a bargain
    JezWynd said:

Re. the silks, is it possible to simply burn or cut them away? It seems like such an easy fix that I'm sure there must be some drawback.
    Just cut it off with a razor blade. The problem is more with the twisted wrap under it though - it can make the string vibrate oddly, and it might even on a fretless.

Needs new knobs too, those are Maplin's finest... although presumably a piece of history now :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    JezWynd said:

Just cut it off with a razor blade. The problem is more with the twisted wrap under it though - it can make the string vibrate oddly, and it might even on a fretless.

Needs new knobs too, those are Maplin's finest... although presumably a piece of history now :(.
    Would look nice with some of these:

If I remember correctly the original 50s Gibson ones were brown (not gold) 'speed' knobs. The very dark amber Epiphone reissue ones - which are normally unnaturally dark, when they're meant to look like gold - would be quite close.

The knobs are a temp item, I've got a pair of witch hats on the way. I see a lot of the EB-1 reissues from the late 60's have them, though I don't know if they came originally.

@Bridgehouse, yes it was the recent eBay one. I'd decided I wasn't going to bid on it. Then I did. It was a good price, but then factor in a case and a set of Pyramids.... Still, a Gibson EB-1 is one of my dream basses and I'd always wanted to try a fretless, so I've almost killed 2 birds with lots of money.

@ICBM, thanks for the info on the silks. I think I might live with it a while before attempting the fix, it's kinda like having a gentle mute permanently engaged.
    I was a bit tempted myself mate.. glad someone on here got it tho as it’s good to see what it’s really like. I bet it’s got some thump to it
    JezWynd said:
    The knobs are a temp item, I've got a pair of witch hats on the way. I see a lot of the EB-1 reissues from the late 60's have them, though I don't know if they came originally.
    Yes, they did.