Familiar?

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
Stolen from Basschat, but c’mon - who has done this.. hmm?

13reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    Not sure whether to lol or wis.. went with a wow as it's in between. 
    But was an amp under amp cover in my case... :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6885
    Other way around for me. 

I have to sneak new ladies in under cover of darkness, else the guitars get wildly jealous and act up for weeks. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    And has anyone done the “disassemble at work, bring home over time as parts, reassemble and tadaaa! Partscaster.”

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    I'm picking up a new Precision Bass on Friday. I need to sneak it into the house somehow but no cases that will fit it. Any ideas?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Simon_M said:
    I'm picking up a new Precision Bass on Friday. I need to sneak it into the house somehow but no cases that will fit it. Any ideas?
    Does the other half know you play bass?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And has anyone done the “disassemble at work, bring home over time as parts, reassemble and tadaaa! Partscaster.”

There is currently an unmentioned guitar in the boot of my car.. it will be disassembled at work ;)
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3294
    Keyboardist in my band has done this a number of times with a range of guitars and keyboards. He also stashes instruments at the singers for a year or two at a time and then filters them in. So far his wife only knows what he has admitted to and we make a sport of dropping hints when she turns up to gigs.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7831
    edited July 2018
    "I've traded this for some old pedals, you Know, the green one, that orange one" etc (Pedals that were since sold to fund more expensive pedals)

More commonly: "I've just sold the tele (parts)caster to fund this Pro-line Gretsch"
    It sounds mighty painful having a girlfriend or wife... 

I’ll be honest though, if I got given agg about the guitars, I’d call the police. 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    ??? Yeah right, what kind of frikkin guitar would fit in a case shaped like a horse?
    axisus said:
    ??? Yeah right, what kind of frikkin guitar would fit in a case shaped like a horse?
    A Mustang. 
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    skunkwerx said:
    It sounds mighty painful having a girlfriend or wife... 

They have their benefits ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Used to do it with empty gig bags that lived in the cupboard for a while, then would mysteriously fill up with guitars that came and went on eBay. One day I'll replace the Made In Indonesia Squier P-Bass I've had since 1999 with a similar looking Fender. :)
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5420
    Have any of you ever considered actually talking to your partners?
    3reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Snags said:
    Exactly.  How can you be a bloke with balls yet let your wife control what you buy with your money?  Perhaps you and I are the odd ones out and everybody else lives in a "1980s henpecked husband" sitcom.... :)
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 953
    Snags said:
    Chalky said:
    Snags said:
    Exactly.  How can you be a bloke with balls yet let your wife control what you buy with your money?  Perhaps you and I are the odd ones out and everybody else lives in a "1980s henpecked husband" sitcom.... :)
    You two are clearly very lucky. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12687
    Luck doesn't come into it. Frankly, if you can't be honest with the person you live with then... er... who can you be?

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14471
    edited July 2018 tFB Trader
    I recall a customer owning a black Mexican Fender Strat - wanted a USA version - Had to be black so the wife would never know the difference

Many times I have had to do a false receipt with a lower value

I have another customer who always pays cash - no receipt, no e-mails etc etc - He said if I ever come in the shop with wife and kids following me, then you don't know me and you've never seen me before

I hear it does work the other way round, with the partner saying 'I've had it ages' when they wear a new dress, shoes, or bag
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    skunkwerx said:
    axisus said:
    A Mustang. 
    A Bronco.
    impmann said:
    Luck doesn't come into it. Frankly, if you can't be honest with the person you live with then... er... who can you be?

Comes down to trust i think and necessity...

Medium/big purchases (for us) are always talked about, the last guitar i bought (which i haven't mentioned to Mrs. L) was bought for £20 for a project.. Last guitar before that that i bought was closer to £500, which was discussed. 
    Also bought an amp a few months ago for £100, which was not discussed, but was funded by getting rid of other equipment. I do feel guilty about that one, but it was something that i had been after for a while and was time sensitive..

I think it's more the nature of the purchases. It's an expensive hobby.. all the purchases are wants not needs... You wouldn't feel guilty spending a few hundred on food for the month.. even though you didn't need those Weetabix when asda's own are just as good..
    You probably wouldn't flutter an eyelash at getting your car serviced.. car doesn't neeed to be serviced (sure it helps but it's probably not going to fall apart if you miss a service) - a service will often cost more than guitar items (was quoted £360 for full service from VW).

Got my car serviced recently (£130 cash ;) ) wife is happy. Bought a pedal at a bargain for £22 off ebay last year. Wife is not happy.  :/

She gets told about everything eventually.. it's just about picking the correct time.