Thank you Fender!

What's Hot
BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2209
edited July 2018 in Guitar
So Fender have just released a guitar I’ve been gassing for in a MIM format. Before CustomShop was the only option. It’s a 60’s Classic in Fiesta Red with a Nitro finish! Only part of the spec that’s not exactly as I’ve gas’d for is the PF board vs Rosewood, but I’ve read good things about PF so can live with that given the £2k saving. 

My question is the 7.25 radius and vintage frets. I’ve read quite a few negative things about this radius and combo. My question is, are people who are buying original 60’s Strat for £20k+ then swapping the necks because it has a 7.25 radius? I doubt it very much, so why then are they worth so much if no one likes that radius and unplayable as many tend to suggest? Is it just a naievity with this radius and people who have never played one, giving their opinions based on assumptions, or are the concerns just? 

Sorry to cause any GAS, but here it is https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-60s-strat-lacquer-pf-frd
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    Try one is the simplest answer. I’ve had a few with that radius ( mustangs, 70’s strats and a few Tele ‘s). 
    I find them very comfy and playable but..... the fret work has to be spot on if you want as low an action you have on a 9.5”. 

If if it’s set up well you’ll just enjoy it same as any other good guitar but if it’s not and the frets aren’t level you’ll blame the curve on the fretbord for the poor setup. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    Only tried 7.25 on teles but I prefer it, makes 9.5 etc seem really flat. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14348
    edited July 2018 tFB Trader
    many players with original vintage models have had re-frets, often with larger frets, to allow for easier string bending - Many will retain the 7.25" radius after such adjustments - I've heard stories of some adjusted to a flatter radius, others say they wear down from 7.25 anyway

7.25 + small frets is not wrong - some like it, but as an overview I'd say less user friendly than 9.5" + chunkier frets - But your own hands will need to be the final test - It depends on your playing style, string gauge, action, set-up and how much bending you do
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24848
    As I’ve said before - prior to 1983 when 9.5” became standard on Fender’s non-vintage style guitars - players has no choice. All the classic Strat solos played by Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Mark Knopfler, David Gilmour, Rory Gallagher, et al - we’re on 7.25” boards.

If the frets are well dressed and the nut is properly adjusted, it’s perfectly possible to get a low(ish), highly playable set up. In the ‘70s, most people used lighter strings than are the norm today - which also helps with bends.

It wouldn’t be a deal-breaker for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    I like a 7.25" radius on a Fender - it feels more Fendery. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4319

Personally I love 7.25.

It's very much down to personal taste, so best to try one as has been suggested. I have never had a problem. You can't get the action as low as you can with flatter radii as has been said, but I've never found it restrictive.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2403
    It would be for me, a vintage radius and vintage frets feels like crap compared to any flatter fingerboard. Hate the tightness. 
    Not all the classic Strat solos were played on that combo either, lots of refretted guitars with flattened boards on 50's Strats by the 60's and 70's. Pass.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31650
    I grew up with Fullerton-built Fenders and all my heroes played them so it was second nature to me. 

These days though I only have one left, and since I switched mainly to Gibsons a few years ago I now find the 7.25" radius a bit annoying if I'm honest, so my Strat is rarely used. 

Mine is well set up, and as I'm not one for huge string bends it has a low action, but I no longer find that radius comfortable. Try before you buy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    The fact that Fender dropped the 7.25 radius as its standard and no-one picked it up tells you everything.  Its an acquired taste and if you like 9s and a low action as your norm, then it very likely isn't for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That guitar is stunning! However, I couldn't go back to 7.25" now I've gone 9.5".
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    tFB Trader
    Quite often, if I get a used guitar in stock, be it old/vintage, or replica, with vintage frets and a 7.25" radius, then I'll re-string and set-up with 9-42, for ease of playing - otherwise I'll always use 10-46
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    7.25 for me. I far prefer the feel.
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 412
    Vintage radius is fine but personally I prefer it with taller frets (6105's).  As long as the guitar is well set up, you'll have no problems.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2209
    I’ll go try one tomorrow and will let you know my thoughts after. Damn you Fender for making this so close, yet so far from an easy decision! 

Thanks for the response guys. Looks like I hit a contentious topic. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469

I like 7.25" radius.  You can spend a lot of your time playing chords lower down the neck.  For that, it's much more comfortable with the tighter radius.

Some people do like it.  That was one of the big discussion points on the John Mayer PRS.  That comes with a 7.25" radius because that's what he likes.

My main Strat is 7.25" going to need a refret soon.  I probably will go for slightly bigger than vintage frets on it, but I won't go for huge frets.  I had a CS Tele for while with enormous frets, and I didn't get on with it at all.

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1060
    Vintage radius is fine but personally I prefer it with taller frets (6105's).  As long as the guitar is well set up, you'll have no problems.
    This. My old strat has 6105  Effortless to play! More about the quality of the frets and how the nut is cut imo 
    tFB Trader
    This. My old strat has 6105  Effortless to play! More about the quality of the frets and how the nut is cut imo 
    agree - the 7.25" is far less noticeable with medium/jumbo based frets and far less 'stiff' - The C/Shop Michael Landau Strat has this spec and is slick to play

Just 7.25" and smaller frets is less friendly to many, especially with 10's or heavier
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 412
    I think all the Road Worn 50's and 60's Strats and Teles have vintage radius and 6105's.  Makes 'em great players...at least the ones I've had have been   ;)
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2209
    I’ve back ordered one from PMT as they are £120 less there then anywhere else. Wanted to order before trying incase the price goes up. Will go try one tomorrow and if I don’t get on with it I can always look to cancel. Alternatively given the saving, I could order a Warmoth vintage neck with a slab rosewood board for c£200 and have a radius I’m used to. That way I’d have a pretty sweet guitar for around £1k and a spare neck to sell. Any thoughts about swapping necks on guitars. Is it a bad idea? Most famous guitarist I see talking about their guitar always seem to have a mix match of years. This is all hyperthetical I realise. 
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921

I think you'll be fine with the radius. If it was to be an issue (and you wanted to keep the guitar), I'd be tempted to get a refret with taller frets on the existing neck.

Only time I've ever had an issue with 7.25 is when the frets have been low.