Steely Dan - still awed by them well over 45 years later

What's Hot

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    gordiji said:
    Epic, etched into me. Donald Fagan's nitefly is also a masterpiece.
    That is a stunning album....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Steely Dan is great.  For me, Wayne Krantz playing live with SD in 1996 was one of the greatest moments.  He brought his out there style and turned all the guitar solos on their head.  

Here he is playing Black Cow in 2006 with the Donald Fagen Band with Jon Herington also on guitar:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    My favourite band ever.  I was lucky enough to see them on the Y2K tour at the NEC with my dad, and again in 2009 on the Left Bank tour at the Birmingham Arena.  I still have the t-shirts from both gigs, though they don't fit too well these days!  Just sublime.

• westwest Frets: 996
    edited July 2018
    Steely Dan is great.  For me, Wayne Krantz playing live with SD in 1996 was one of the greatest moments.  He brought his out there style and turned all the guitar solos on their head.  

Here he is playing Black Cow in 2006 with the Donald Fagen Band with Jon Herington also on guitar:

So Outrageous ! ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I love this version of home at last and Drew zingg's solo starts around 3.59 ... incredible ....   i think from my perspective zingg and krantz bought something extra, less conventional and more improvisational in the spirit of steely dan ...

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I spent over a decade working in the motor show circuit doing video screens for the Ford group. One of the sound men used one particular Steely Dan song to eq the system over and over and over again on each show. 

I now cannot stand Steely Dan
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    /\ similar with me but for a marketing comms agency doing video stiff and the sound levels was always rigged up with bloody Tears for Fears Everybody wants to rule the World, stop start, over and over for hours on end. My office was right next door...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I still love probably their least acknowledged song the best - the one that introduced us all to SD back in late1972...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

So Outrageous ! ...
    Wrong link.....  His solos on My Old School is just incredible.  

• StinkfootStinkfoot Frets: 74
    Apologies for the shameless plug, but if anyone is in the London area and at a loose end tonight, my band Stanley Dee are playing at the Half Moon in Putney tonight if you fancy a couple of hours of Dan tunes from across their whole back catalogue! Can't promise it will meet the standards of some of the awesome players name checked above but it's played with a lot of love and enthusiasm for this wonderful band. We have a pedal steel player guesting on a few tracks tonight for the first time too.....just to try and capture some of what Skunk Baxter added to some of those earlier tunes!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    Stinkfoot said:
    Apologies for the shameless plug, but if anyone is in the London area and at a loose end tonight, my band Stanley Dee are playing at the Half Moon in Putney tonight if you fancy a couple of hours of Dan tunes from across their whole back catalogue! Can't promise it will meet the standards of some of the awesome players name checked above but it's played with a lot of love and enthusiasm for this wonderful band. We have a pedal steel player guesting on a few tracks tonight for the first time too.....just to try and capture some of what Skunk Baxter added to some of those earlier tunes!

might ty and get there. ive heard good things about Stanley Dee
    If i was down that london i would , sign in stranger and do it again ... ;)
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    Stinkfoot said:

Been a Dan fan since the 70's....I'm familiar with Nearly Dan but not Stanley Dee until now, I just watched some of your stuff on Youtube and am very impressed; shame I'm not in the area as I'd be there....hope the gig goes well.

That Irish lad Colm Lindsay....he's a bit good isn't he!

• StinkfootStinkfoot Frets: 74
    Thanks for that!

Yep I've watched that Irish chap before - lovely playing. 
    Never really liked "reelin"  that much the guitar playing, the ( in my mind scottish dancing section lol ) ... but this for me lifted it to another level , them horns though !!  

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited July 2018
    Stinkfoot said:

Big fan of the Dan. 'Josie', 'Peg', 'Kid Charlemagne etc are such great songs.

I'm lucky to have seen them a few times, including last year with Jon Herrington and he did a good job but I liked them with Drew Zingg.

To jump on Stinkfoot's post, his band, Stanley Dee, are very good, great fun and cover a large SD repertoire from various eras, plus he's a monster player

Recommended and saddened that I can't attend tonight as just back from my hols .

Have a good one D
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    Couldn't stand them in the late 70s and through the 80s, offended my heavy metal/rock tastes, always thought of them as the type of band listen to by people with high end hifi.
    Absolutely love them now, started with "cant buy a thrill" and work my way through them all, turning point for me was Reelin with Elliott, just WOW
    Stinkfoot said:

Who is your favourite Steely Dan guitarist?
    I love this, especially the fills.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    'Do it again' is an anthem of my youth. I got Steely Dan from my Dad very early on and I love it but normally those chords and lead lines confuse the hell out of me.
    I haven't sub'd to Lick Library for a while and I didn't know they had that Tom Quayle DVD. Tom is an awesome player and teacher so the next time we start paying monthly sub's again, that's definitely the first one the list. I loved how clear it was to watch him play 'Black Friday' and although I'd need to watch the breakdown of it, it seems way more possible now I've seen it up that close.

Thanks for posting this @Voxman , I can't think of a better way to start a Monday morning.