Steely Dan - still awed by them well over 45 years later

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Watched the Classic Album series on Aja, the other day.  Fantastic album and well worth a watch if you haven’t seen it already.   Bernard Purdie impressed me so much.

https://youtu.be/8sdMV9TzMkc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Basher said:
    Judge a band by the stuff they left on the cutting room floor.... 

Not entirely sure why but this song kills me every time - polished, restrained and cynical. It took me a long time to get the 'Dan (as in about 20 years) but when I did, it bit me quite badly.  
    God yes, this is one of my favourites!
  • Voxman said:
    drwiddly said:
    @Stinkfoot been checking out some Stanley Dee on YouTube and I have to say it's very impressive. The band is very tight and your guitar work is excellent.
    +1 on that.
    Not just impressive - bloody superb!  Really enjoyed those clips...fabulous playing! :)
    Thank you very much. It’s a bit of a dream gig for me really as a long-standing SD fan, and I never get tired of playing these fantastic tunes!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    @Stinkfoot out of interest to play all that complex stuff do you read music? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3044
    Basher said:

Not entirely sure why but this song kills me every time - polished, restrained and cynical. It took me a long time to get the 'Dan (as in about 20 years) but when I did, it bit me quite badly.  
    I went looking for this on Spotify and couldn't find it. It seems it's actually called "Here *In* The Western World".
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Basher said:

I went looking for this on Spotify and couldn't find it. It seems it's actually called "Here *In* The Western World".
    It was an out-take that was include on the 1978 Greatest Hits compilation. I originally had it on cassette, but realised it wasn't on any of the CD re-issues, so I got it as an iTunes download.
  • 4on64on6 Frets: 86
    Im also putting in a shameless plug ... avert your gaze if you’ve had enough ....please anyone who has time and the inclination come and support ‘Stealing Dan and Don’. First Tuesday of each month at The Bulls Head in Barnes. I think it’s up to 18 squids in the door now. Hope that doesn’t put anyone off. I’ll be the shifty looking guitarist stage left. Don’t claim to be the best at anything but we have a damn good go and people seem to enjoy it. Come and say hi after the show. Regards. Ian. Btw I hear great things about Stanley Dee too so any competition is purely friendly I hope. I still get a thrill (which I can’t buy) each time I play this stuff. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    4on6 said:
    Im also putting in a shameless plug ... avert your gaze if you’ve had enough ....please anyone who has time and the inclination come and support ‘Stealing Dan and Don’. First Tuesday of each month at The Bulls Head in Barnes. I think it’s up to 18 squids in the door now. Hope that doesn’t put anyone off. I’ll be the shifty looking guitarist stage left. Don’t claim to be the best at anything but we have a damn good go and people seem to enjoy it. Come and say hi after the show. Regards. Ian. Btw I hear great things about Stanley Dee too so any competition is purely friendly I hope. I still get a thrill (which I can’t buy) each time I play this stuff. 
    You guys have been going for a while and I saw you way back at The Bull's Head and you're a good band.
    Is Robin Bibi still with you on other guitar?
  • 4on64on6 Frets: 86
    Robins Blues band really took off some while ago and he couldn’t commit to dan and don any more. I’d been depping for him for a while and took over when he left. Jeremy Dunning is the other guitarist and Robin still makes occasional (very welcome) guest appearances if one of us can’t make a gig. 
  • @voxman No I never did learn to read music and have always just struggled through learning by ear and the odd bit of assistance from YouTube and tab sites when I get stuck on something! There are 2 non-readers in the band - me and the keyboard player so it’s quite interesting when we discuss our different approaches to learning stuff!

@4on6 a few of the guys in Stanley Dee went to see your band a little while back and loved it! I hope to make it along to one of your gigs soon. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Stinkfoot said:
    @voxman No I never did learn to read music and have always just struggled through learning by ear and the odd bit of assistance from YouTube and tab sites when I get stuck on something! There are 2 non-readers in the band - me and the keyboard player so it’s quite interesting when we discuss our different approaches to learning stuff!

That's really reassuring @stinkfoot - might encourage me to have a crack at a few SD numbers myself! lol  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)