Fender Twin Reverb alternative?

What's Hot
Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
I'm looking for an amp that sounds similar to a fender twin reverb as I can't justify the price. Is this a tube amp? I'm thinking of buying a used hot rod deluxe but I'm not sure if it's a tube amp. (I'm after a tube amp)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I have a Musicman Hd130 2x12 combo that I’m selling for a mate that he’d let go for £500, a lot of the Twin sound comes from a beefy output stage and high quality 2x12” speakers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    I forgot to mention I will mostly be using the amp for clean sounds and using a maxon od9 so what's a good amp for clean sounds?
  • Calum13 said:
    I'm looking for an amp that sounds similar to a fender twin reverb as I can't justify the price. Is this a tube amp? I'm thinking of buying a used hot rod deluxe but I'm not sure if it's a tube amp. (I'm after a tube amp)
    The HRD is a tube amp mate - and a decent one at that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks. I'm after a tube amp because my favourite guitar player (John Squire) used a Fender twin reverb and a mesa boogie MK III along with lots of effects.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    You will probably hate me for saying this, but although the Twin is a valve amp - and a very nice-sounding one - if you're using it purely clean with effects, you will be able to get very close to the same sound with a solid-state amp that's voiced correctly - maybe even closer than with a Hotrod, which although also a Fender, is actually quite different-sounding.

The amp to look for would be a Fender Champion 100, or the older version which is the Frontman 212. It's not exactly the same as a Twin, but it's very much in the same ballpark and the Champion sells for only just over £200 brand new.

It's harder to get the sound of the Mesa MkIII with a solid-state amp, but the second channel on the Champion is also probably going to get you closer than you can without spending a pretty significant amount on a valve amp.

The Hotrod is a nice amp too and does have an overdrive channel, although it's not Mesa-like - but it might get there with a pedal in front as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    You will probably hate me for saying this, but although the Twin is a valve amp - and a very nice-sounding one - if you're using it purely clean with effects, you will be able to get very close to the same sound with a solid-state amp that's voiced correctly - maybe even closer than with a Hotrod, which although also a Fender, is actually quite different-sounding.

The amp to look for would be a Fender Champion 100, or the older version which is the Frontman 212. It's not exactly the same as a Twin, but it's very much in the same ballpark and the Champion sells for only just over £200 brand new.

It's harder to get the sound of the Mesa MkIII with a solid-state amp, but the second channel on the Champion is also probably going to get you closer than you can without spending a pretty significant amount on a valve amp.

The Hotrod is a nice amp too and does have an overdrive channel, although it's not Mesa-like - but it might get there with a pedal in front as well.
    Yeah I was actually looking at a champion but I forgot about it. I think the fender was his main amp until he bought the mesa but I can get quite close to his tone with my pedals. If I was to pay £200 for the champ is it worth it? I wouldn't use most off the effects apart from the reverb but the footswitsch is a nice touch I think the mesa has one.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Would you be interested in a Traynor YGL-3? I have two - one a head, one a 2x12 combo. They're known as a Fender Twin on steroids.

This what the combo looks, and sounds like (when driven):

This is what the head looks like:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Would you be interested in a Traynor YGL-3? I have two - one a head, one a 2x12 combo. They're known as a Fender Twin on steroids.

This what the combo looks, and sounds like (when driven):

This is what the head looks like:

How much would it be for one? I don't know if I would buy an old 70s amp and it does sound quite good.
    Somewhere in the region of £300. Both have been recently serviced by Dave @ Rosewell Amps.

R.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Those Traynors are extremely well-made and reliable amps once serviced, you don't need to worry about them being unreliable just because they're old.

Circuit-wise they are an almost exact Twin Reverb copy, but using EL34s instead of 6L6s. If you prefer, they can be fitted with 6CA7s which are a more 'American-sounding' version of the EL34, without modifying the amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2018
    Somewhere in the region of £300. Both have been recently serviced by Dave @ Rosewell Amps.

R.
    Is it 300 quid for the amp and the combo or just one of them? And can you ship it or is it too heavy?
    It would be for just one of them, and yes, they are both pretty heavy so not idea to ship.

R.
    It would be for just one of them, and yes, they are both pretty heavy so not idea to ship.

R.
    Oh. £300 is really a good price for that and I can barely lift my old1x12 Marshall so it must be pretty heavy. Does Royal Mail have a weight limit?
    Yeah, they're both pretty heavy. Sound fantastic, but not the most portable of things.
    Yeah, they're both pretty heavy. Sound fantastic, but not the most portable of things.
    Yeah I looked up some youtube demos and can't see why anyone would buy a twin reverb when these things are out at a fraction of the price! They must be pretty rare though there isn't even one on reverb. Portability isn't much of a problem for me as I mainly play in my room.
    Mostly brand snobbery. No-one plays them, they're from Canada, so are rarer. They're very well-made - legend has it that Pete Traynor used to test the designs by throwing them out of a 21st floor window!
    Mostly brand snobbery. No-one plays them, they're from Canada, so are rarer. They're very well-made - legend has it that Pete Traynor used to test the designs by throwing them out of a 21st floor window!
    Haha I would hate to put an amp to waste! As it is made in Canada would you say the speakers are more American or British sounding? Speaking of which, are the speakers stock?
    The speakers in the combo are stock. Overall, both amps are more British-sounding. I love that glassy EL34 sound.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    ICBM said:

The other guitarist I was in a band with went between a Twin and a ( solid state) Tech 21 Trademark 60. He used pedals for distortion. Certainly in the ballpark soundwise ( although it couldn’t rip your face off like the Twin was capable of doing) and they are fairly affordable used. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Not a legend, I've seen a video on the net somewhere of them doing it back in the day :) From the roof of his shop, then took it back inside and fired it up :)

Probably only did it once though :)