Using Guitar Pro and Tab creating/editing

What's Hot
kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 183
Who uses Guitar Pro here (I've got version 6) to create their own tabs. I just find it such a ball ache to use what with having to choose the correct notes - i.e. 16th notes, 8th notes or whatever. Find it clunky to use. Just wish you could switch off the standard notation and just use tab (you kind of can do this but it still won't let you just input tab without considering standard notation)
How do other people get on with it and is there anything else you use? I've used a few online tab creators, but they aren't brilliant.
Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2950
    kelpbeds said:
    Who uses Guitar Pro here (I've got version 6) to create their own tabs. I just find it such a ball ache to use what with having to choose the correct notes - i.e. 16th notes, 8th notes or whatever. Find it clunky to use. 
    You can use the +/- keys to change the duration of the note, which is quicker than moving your mouse around the tool box. I use the fretboard display to input notes & then set the duration (if it needs changing). I can't see there's any way around inputting note duration, as it doesn't just display tab, it plays it, so it has to have note duration available. 

I haven't leant all the possible keyboard shortcuts (I don't use it to create tabs often enough), but I don't really find it clunky to use - bearing in mind what it's capable of. But I do use it to practice with pretty much every day, so anything I want to practice regularly gets put into GP7, unless I can find the tab to download. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 183
    Yeah I know the +/- thing.  Prob me that's being clunky, guess I just need to spend more time with it. I just find that it is too heavily featured. Wish there was a more cutback version.
    Thanks
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Use the notation. It's easier to think musically that way. Worry about fingering later.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Shame you can't change the size of the fretboard display in GP. Find it a bit small.
    Sure if I used notation instead of inputting via fretboard it would help me musically! New learning curve right there!
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    kelpbeds said:
    Who uses Guitar Pro here (I've got version 6) to create their own tabs. I just find it such a ball ache to use what with having to choose the correct notes - i.e. 16th notes, 8th notes or whatever. Find it clunky to use. Just wish you could switch off the standard notation and just use tab (you kind of can do this but it still won't let you just input tab without considering standard notation)
    How do other people get on with it and is there anything else you use? I've used a few online tab creators, but they aren't brilliant.

When you want to turn off standard notation, is this what you're after?  If it is then it might be worth downloading a demo of Guitar Pro 7.  I bought the full version of GP 7 and it's brilliant.  I don't write my own tabs, but do edit other peoples, but it's great for reading them and you have absolutely loads of display options.

• duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Cheers @bingefeller ;

I've been looking for something on the IPad Pro, just to keep track of a few simple tunes I have started to write.

I take it that it plays through what you have written down so you can hear it as you are composing?
    duotone said:
    Cheers @bingefeller ;

I've been looking for something on the IPad Pro, just to keep track of a few simple tunes I have started to write.

I take it that it plays through what you have written down so you can hear it as you are composing?
    @duotone Yes it does.    The midi sounds on Guitar Pro 7 are actually pretty good because it has it's own built in sound banks - I'm assuming the mobile versions would have these also.  
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

I've not tried this, but think it's worth a look:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/28584/

The developers actually posted on here but didn't get much love.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tabify.writer

Whether that's a less faffy way of getting your raw stuff down will depend on what you're inputting, of course.

yeah i've seen that feature on guitar pro 6.  You still need to input the note timing tho. I would just like something where I could stick the tab in bar by bar for doing things quickly. Like you would see on most tabs for example on say ultimate guitar or similar.
    How is GP7 different to 6?
    thanks
  • kelpbeds said:
    yeah i've seen that feature on guitar pro 6.  You still need to input the note timing tho. I would just like something where I could stick the tab in bar by bar for doing things quickly. Like you would see on most tabs for example on say ultimate guitar or similar.
    How is GP7 different to 6?
    thanks
    You'll still need to have the timing correct to have the bar divisions in the right place. I think you should treat it as a learning opportunity, understanding rhythm will improve your playing and composition no end.

Mainly I found the differences between 6 and 7 are a slicker UI. Its certainly no more reliable than GP6.
    edited August 2018
    One more question @bingefeller ;

Does it show chord charts like 

duotone said:
    I will check for you when I get home from work.  
    @bingefeller ;
    I appreciate the help and info.  I'm sold, I'm going to download it on the IPad this evening...

More questions to follow