How to create my perfect telecaster..?

What's Hot
JamieWakehamJamieWakeham Frets: 39
edited July 2018 in Guitar
Hi all

My first proper post here: I'm looking for advice on how best to put together a not-quite-Micawber telecaster.  Apologies for the essay!

I'm not a serial buyer and seller of guitars - my long term aim has always been to end up with just the two guitars, one for regular tuning and one for five-string open G.  I've owned, for more than twenty years, a 1978 hardtail Strat.  I know late 70s Fenders get mixed reviews, but this truly is one of the special ones - I've simply never found anything that sounds as good or plays as well.  I just wish it wasn't so damned heavy...

So for a long time, that was my regular-tuned guitar.  I've had a few other things serving for open G but none of them ever really worked.  A year or so ago I splashed out on a Les Paul Studio, and made that my regular tuning guitar and put the Strat into open G.  The Strat is working pretty well in that role... but the LP just isn't doing it for me. 

I've since spent a load of time in various guitar shops, and what I think I've realised is that I am so utterly used to the 7.25" radius of the Strat that anything flatter just feels wrong.  So, I've decided to get rid of the LP, return the Strat to regular tuning, and get a Telecaster - which is, clearly, the correct instrument for five string open G anyway.

So, long story short, I want a very particular spec on this Tele.  Blonde, of course.  I love darker fretboards, either rosewood or pau ferro, and obviously 7.25" radius.  Neck humbucker with Keef-style blend wiring. And six individual saddles, not three pairs.  So it's clear I won't be getting this off the shelf.

I figure there are three ways I could do this:

1) Buy an off-the-shelf Tele that's as close as possible, and then mod it.  I'm fairly sure this is going to need a competely new neck, though, as there's no blonde Tele with a vintage radius rosewood fretboard.  And by the time I've changed the neck, at least one of the pickups, the scratchguard and the electronics, I may as well...

2) Buy all the constituent parts from, say, Warmoth and put it together myself.  This way I get to choose absolutely everything.  But by the time I've paid import duties on all that kit, I could probably just...

3) Find a UK based custom guitar builder to make me my Tele.  I've been looking at Barefoot Guitars, but can't find much in the way of feedback about their work.  Feline are, sadly, a little over my budget.

So - any ideas, suggestions, dark muttered warnings?

Oh, and one other idea I had.  Whilst I've not got on with the LP it has been nice to have a bridge humbucker from time to time.  I'm wondering about fitting a single-coil sized humbucker to the Strat, and using its original single coil in the Tele.  I know this will need a bit of modification to make it work - but it's a pickup I know sounds absolutely excellent.  Is this a ridiculous idea?

Cheers for any input!
Jamie

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    You could always add another option if its within budget. 

That is take a weeks course with somewhere like crimson, and build it yourself to your spec. Kind of mixing the benefits of the partscaster and the benefits of having it built, but hopefully not as expensive.. 

I know you said you dont flip guitars much, but always worth mentioning anything like partscasters or modded guitars, even customs of lesser known names will probably not hold their value. So if it didnt work out, you’d probably lose money if you decided to sell.

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I've been down the Warmoth route 4 times now. I'm sure there are other cheaper ways of doing a self build.. But because the Warmoth stuff just fits together perfectly, it means I had my ideal guitars a few hours after opening the box. And it's good quality stuff! 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12418
    I did option 6 or 7 I lost count, buy bits on here used.  I bought a highway one nitro US body, a creamery bridge pickup and a classic vibe maple neck, for the total of £255 and then had Alegree make me a neck filtertron.  Bought the electrics and had some generous bits donated bridge and saddles and neck plate.

Once I finished I decided I wanted a nitro rosewood neck and bought that new from Axecaster and its a real gem.  Total cost of everything was £600 but I sold the original neck, swapped the creamery for other pickups and sold a squier strat I had modded so put in less than £300 cash and have a bespoke tele in nitro finish with US body.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27217
    I haven’t done Warmoth but have a couple of things from MJT (using Musikraft necks) and they’re fabulous.

If you know exactly what spec you want (as you seem to) then it’s a very good way of getting a very good instrument
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    Have you seen this:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/136770/wtt-my-avri-52-tele-for-your-avri-american-original-62-tele#latest

It has the 6 saddle bridge included the pickups are worth trying to see if you can achieve the sound you want. If not you should be able to sell them on for a
    decemt price.

It’s a nice weight and you can change the neck to a rosewood one.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    How close to Micawber do you want it?

This may be bad form re pimping my business, but I have a Micawber tribute body for sale in my store.

https://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_7&products_id=581
    Body is also routed for the neck humbucker slightly closer to the neck, as per Micaber.
    The pic is a mockup - it comes with the nitro finished bakelite guard and humbucker ring.
    All the work on the body/pickguard is by SC Relics.
    https://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_7&products_id=581
    I also have a couple of options for rosewood board vintage radius necks.
    https://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_1&products_id=182
    https://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_1&products_id=543

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2531
    munckee said:
    I did option 6 or 7 I lost count, buy bits on here used.  I bought a highway one nitro US body, a creamery bridge pickup and a classic vibe maple neck, for the total of £255 and then had Alegree make me a neck filtertron.  Bought the electrics and had some generous bits donated bridge and saddles and neck plate.

Once I finished I decided I wanted a nitro rosewood neck and bought that new from Axecaster and its a real gem.  Total cost of everything was £600 but I sold the original neck, swapped the creamery for other pickups and sold a squier strat I had modded so put in less than £300 cash and have a bespoke tele in nitro finish with US body.
    This +1. Might take a bit longer but will probably cost less and be more fun ;)
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2531
    Hi all

My first proper post here: I'm looking for advice on how best to put together a not-quite-Micawber telecaster.  Apologies for the essay!

I'm not a serial buyer and seller of guitars - my long term aim has always been to end up with just the two guitars, one for regular tuning and one for five-string open G.  I've owned, for more than twenty years, a 1978 hardtail Strat.  I know late 70s Fenders get mixed reviews, but this truly is one of the special ones - I've simply never found anything that sounds as good or plays as well.  I just wish it wasn't so damned heavy...

So for a long time, that was my regular-tuned guitar.  I've had a few other things serving for open G but none of them ever really worked.  A year or so ago I splashed out on a Les Paul Studio, and made that my regular tuning guitar and put the Strat into open G.  The Strat is working pretty well in that role... but the LP just isn't doing it for me. 

I've since spent a load of time in various guitar shops, and what I think I've realised is that I am so utterly used to the 7.25" radius of the Strat that anything flatter just feels wrong.  So, I've decided to get rid of the LP, return the Strat to regular tuning, and get a Telecaster - which is, clearly, the correct instrument for five string open G anyway.

So, long story short, I want a very particular spec on this Tele.  Blonde, of course.  I love darker fretboards, either rosewood or pau ferro, and obviously 7.25" radius.  Neck humbucker with Keef-style blend wiring. And six individual saddles, not three pairs.  So it's clear I won't be getting this off the shelf.

I figure there are three ways I could do this:

1) Buy an off-the-shelf Tele that's as close as possible, and then mod it.  I'm fairly sure this is going to need a competely new neck, though, as there's no blonde Tele with a vintage radius rosewood fretboard.  And by the time I've changed the neck, at least one of the pickups, the scratchguard and the electronics, I may as well...

2) Buy all the constituent parts from, say, Warmoth and put it together myself.  This way I get to choose absolutely everything.  But by the time I've paid import duties on all that kit, I could probably just...

3) Find a UK based custom guitar builder to make me my Tele.  I've been looking at Barefoot Guitars, but can't find much in the way of feedback about their work.  Feline are, sadly, a little over my budget.

So - any ideas, suggestions, dark muttered warnings?

Oh, and one other idea I had.  Whilst I've not got on with the LP it has been nice to have a bridge humbucker from time to time.  I'm wondering about fitting a single-coil sized humbucker to the Strat, and using its original single coil in the Tele.  I know this will need a bit of modification to make it work - but it's a pickup I know sounds absolutely excellent.  Is this a ridiculous idea?

Cheers for any input!
    Jamie

From personal experience I wouldn't bother with Barefoot. I ordered a neck and body in April and I am still waiting for it now. His communication also leaves a lot to be desired...  :s
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    I've done a few with MJT, Musikraft and Fender wooden parts. The only problem is that it's addictive and you start looking for bits to make it "even better".  One of my Strats has had 3 necks and 3 sets of pickups - this is the longest it's remained in a constant state (2 years I think). There comes a point when you stop viewing it as a collection of parts and think of it as a guitar - this doesn't have to happen when you buy a new guitar of have someone else build it for you.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 295
    If you go the partscaster route and want a similar look to the Micawber bridge, I have a 4 hole gotoh version that I stripped most of the plating off so it's raw brass now. It's currently doing nothing in my parts draw. Sounds massive compared to a thin vintage style bridge but it also ages quickly. Depends what you want.
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Didn't know what a Micawber bridge was, so googled it and found this which may have useful info on it...
    http://chasingguitars.com/micawber-telecaster-inspired-project/
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12418
    munckee said:

This +1. Might take a bit longer but will probably cost less and be more fun ;)
    Not sure fun was the word @lovestrat74 there was a lot of swearing and begging for help on here.  Would do it again in a shot though.  The bigger issue is I now need new challenges.  This week I have taken two pedals apart to refinish, bought a new pickguard for a guitar that doesn't need on and spent an inordinate amount of time researching self build pedal kits : )
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9377
    Have a chat to Mark or Wendy at MJT. You can get exactly the guitar you want and as a previous poster said, musikraft necks are exceptional. They’ll Relic it for you based on Keef’s if that’s what you want and it’ll probably work out £1k after imports and high quality parts. 
  • 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    Assuming you want to keep the budget lower, but want Fender/decent quality, I'd look at getting a MIM Classic Series 60's telecaster (so you get the rosewood 7.25 neck and decent parts - should be able to get one on ebay for around £350 if you wait, maybe cheaper), get someone on here to strip and re-finish the body (@iamf68 does some excellent work), sell the vintage style bridge, pickguard and neckplate, and get the appropriate versions. 

Cost in the £600 ball park? 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3270
    Partscaster all the way I’d say so that you get the parts you want. Make sure you budget for a full set up and fretdress once assembled as this is were many folks end up disappointed with their build.

Have a look on the guitarbuild.co.uk site for suitable weight bodies and have a chat with @lonestar who is SC Relics and does some finishing fantastic work and also @gavin_axecaster  who posted above. Pair these with some pickups from @Alegree or @TheGuitarWeasel and you will have an awesome instrument that’ll be a pleasure to play.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the replies, all!

I guess I should have specified a budget.  I'm fine with a cost in the region of £1000; if it goes past that I'm going to have to get spousal approval.

I don't have an enormous amount of free time, so while the idea of doing a week-long course to learn how to do everything myself is lovely, it's not really an option.  I'm a competent DIYer, so putting a partscaster together from components is probably fine.  I'm probably not capable, though, of routing new holes (so getting an SS body and routing out the neck humbucker is going to need professional help).

I'm not terribly worried about having a relic finish, or making a carbon copy of Micawber.  I very much hope to keep this forever so I'll relic it myself over the next few decades ;-)

If I do go down the route of getting a blonde Fender off the shelf and modding it, I take it there's a reasonable chance I could sell the old maple neck here, right?

Thanks for all the input - I have some thinking to do now!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Part of my decision process I'm stuck on: just how critical is the body itself? For example, assuming all other parts are identical, is there going to be any significant difference between, say, a Fender MIM body, a Fender USA body, and an Axecaster body?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27217
    Part of my decision process I'm stuck on: just how critical is the body itself? For example, assuming all other parts are identical, is there going to be any significant difference between, say, a Fender MIM body, a Fender USA body, and an Axecaster body?
    I can't speak for Teles specifically, but the Jazzmaster I got from MJT/Musikraft is the most resonant and *loud* Jazzmaster I've ever played by a very long way. 

Likewise my custom, no-compromise La Cabronita is inherently a better guitar than any production line Tele I've played. 

Costwise my JM was just under 1k all-in. I'm not in the UK so didn't pay 20% VAT, but a Tele is a fair chunk cheaper than a JM (and I went for fancy wood & neck binding, which both added cost) so I reckon you'd easily get a Tele in around the 1k mark
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    No need to go to an American company for a good guitar. You can build a top quality tele using the plethora of talent within the UK. 

Im building a few full teles just now (commissions) and the quality of the parts and finishing will be outstanding. 

Funnily enough, one is an ambered blonde, maple neck, humbucker neck route and Bakelite guard. The body is lightweight ash. Overall weight will be around 6 1/2lb.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3270
    lonestar said:
    No need to go to an American company for a good guitar. You can build a top quality tele using the plethora of talent within the UK. 

Im building a few full teles just now (commissions) and the quality of the parts and finishing will be outstanding. 

Funnily enough, one is an ambered blonde, maple neck, humbucker neck route and Bakelite guard. The body is lightweight ash. Overall weight will be around 6 1/2lb.
    This IS the man you need to speak to.