How to create my perfect telecaster..?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:
    No need to go to an American company for a good guitar. You can build a top quality tele using the plethora of talent within the UK. 

Im building a few full teles just now (commissions) and the quality of the parts and finishing will be outstanding. 

Funnily enough, one is an ambered blonde, maple neck, humbucker neck route and Bakelite guard. The body is lightweight ash. Overall weight will be around 6 1/2lb.
    This IS the man you need to speak to. 
    Too kind :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JamieWakehamJamieWakeham Frets: 39
    edited August 2018
    This IS the man you need to speak to. 
    This is becoming clear to me!  I'm away for a few days now, but when I get back I'll have a chat with Lonestar and with Gavin, and see what options I've got.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2306
    I build using as many used components as possible.  I typically spend 600 to 700 this way for top spec stuff.  Just takes a lot of stored searches and picking up the bits over a few weeks. I'd rather do that than spend the grand or so for all new parts .
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 228
    Bump on this thread as I'm on a similiar path. I wanted a Tele with a P90 in the neck and found a new MIM FSR with a 50s style neck on Reverb for a good price, which feels great and sounds good. Now I'm having it hod rodded by doing the following:
    • Body refinish by SC (Lake Placid Blue poly replaced with Sonic Blue nitro, tort pickguard replaced with cream)
    • Pickups/harness from Oil City (stock replaced with Firewatch neck, Summer of Love bridge, 50s wiring)
    • New hardware from Feline (vintage style tuners replaced with Graphtech Ratio locking, stock nut replaced with Earvana, stock cup replaced with Electrosocket)
    It will be re-assembled and set up by Feline.  And I'll have some parts to offload and claw a little cash back so I hope to end up spending less than (new) American Professional money for substantially superior quality, with input from UK builders for additional warm and fuzzies.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10649
    tFB Trader

Ultimate Keef vibe ... Tele bridge pickups that are only fixed with two screws not three :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bit of a thread bump.  I've come to the conclusion that the best solution for me is to have someone build this for me.  I'd love to do it myself, but reaslitically I just don't don't have the time.

I'm having a chat with Lonestar; absolutely my only reservation about that is that he's a very long way from me so getting to him to try out the feel of various components is not really feasible, and the first time I got to feel this guitar would be when it was delivered.

I'm also talking with Crimson: they are close enough that I could drop in and fondle some necks before the actual build.  They really are top end of my budget (well, if I'm honest, they're beyond budget, but if it came to it I can probably use an impending round-number birthday as justification...)

Is there any one else I really ought to seek quotes from?  Luthiers somewhere within a couple of hours from Oxford, who might be interested in this sort of build?  I'm happy for this to be someone taking a good kit and modding it, rather than starting completely from scratch.
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 228
    Hi Jamie. I think we have a very similiar approach. My 'kit' has been a MIM model which I've played for about 5 months. So I know what I specifically want to change and some of the other upgrades are punts based on conversations with specific experts. Good luck with your build!
  • Get a body and neck including hardware and electrics from Guitar Mill in the states. That's a relic'd or fresh blonde nitro finish and neck specs to what you want. All you need is to buy your own pickups. Handmade £800 plus shipping taxes, etc.