Hankering after a Black Les Paul custom.

What's Hot
DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
A black les Paul custom with gold hardware has been my grail guitar for as long as I can remember. Lately I've been thinking about taking the plunge and part exchanging a lot of my guitars for one. A second hand les Paul custom is about 2k. 
Question is if I got rid of the prs and some of my other guitars is it worth the gamble? Gibson's qc is questionable at the best of times. And I'm guessing a black custom can only do a few recognizable tones. Is A black les Paul custom worth the mark up over say a traditional? Or is a cheaper option to get a Japanese copy?

I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Bit posh for Brizzle innit?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    RMJ said:
    Bit posh for Brizzle innit?
    I'll hide it from the neighbours 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    edited August 2018
    Just do it, life is short..... 
    2k for a grail guitar is worth it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1957
    edited August 2018
    It's a shame Cathedrale doesn't have another Edwards!

I would recommend a Yamaha SG1000 and they do Black/Gold - I've had x5 now and they're ridiculously consistent, but I prefer my Lag RR2000 in Black/Chrome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knzXNXqeFAc
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m in exactly the same bucket. I’ve got a nice LP already, and I don’t need or want two of them, but I’d really like a black LPC one day.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1682
    For half price you could get something like Guitar No. 8 on this page

http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/Page 2 Orville By Gibson.html

It's just a question of whether it would truly scratch the itch.....

But, without knowing where you stand financially, it might be worth a few months of hardship to have for your dream guitar for the rest of your days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12406
    If you want a Gibson, then buy a Gibson. In my experience buying something that looks similar will never make you happy, even though it sounds the same and maybe plays better.  
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    As said above. Buy what you really want or you won't be happy. This is true with all things in life.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited August 2018
    We now have an unbroken run of Gibson making the Les Paul Custom for 50 years. In fact it is pretty much exactly 50 years. But they are not all equal.

Here are my thoughts. If we sat you down (OP), blindfolded you, and then handed you 20 Les Paul Customs from various years, my hunch is that the guitar judged by you to be the best playing, best sounding Les Paul Custom. with the best weight, could easily be the same guitar that I would pick in the exact same test.

Probably not the early Norlin.
    Probably not the '68 with the $18k price tag.
    No - my bet is that the winner would be one of the Historic Re-issues. 1993 onwards. Vintage format serial number. Exact spec varies.

Forum members will probably disagree about just how much over your budget this guitar would be in a private sale. But you should bargain hard and it would be worth it. Just my opinion.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3991
    I've had three of the custom shop models (not the reissues) and they have been great. I just moved them on in my cycle of wanting then not wanting a Les Paul but it's probably what I'd get again.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72549
    DrJazzTap said:

And I'm guessing a black custom can only do a few recognizable tones.
    A Les Paul Custom can do any sound an electric guitar can make* apart from the Strat in-between sound, and you can get a rough approximation of that with a phase switch.

(*Close enough to work in any musical context and that the audience won't care, rather than close enough that a guitar obsessive might not be able to tell, but still close enough.)

One great guitar is better than a collection of OK ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    edited August 2018
    I had a white 89 Gibson Les Paul Custom (which a London guitar shop is trying to shift for £3500 as we speak, WTF), and I've just bought a 2018 Goldtop classic (the one with P90's). I'd say I don't feel like I'm missing my custom at all.

But I would also agree with others here, go and scratch your itch. You'll always be wondering otherwise. Glad I did, but don't really miss it or feel like my 2018 is a downgrade. The customs are a les paul in a tux and that's about it, nice ebony boards though.
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    his supreme excellency (mad) luke haines of the auteurs used his lp custom all over the first two auteurs albums to maximum ronson-esque effect. nice spiders-y solo here at 03m05s.

99% of britpop i totally despise (maybe why i have time for luke) but the auteurs were a bit apart. they were like saboteurs inside the machine, installing viruses and flooding toilets.

and this song was basically pulp's 'common people' before common people. i think better.

"that c*nts really got it sussed, selling wine, selling drugs, you can get so far with a perishing wit... (the money's in trust, isn't it?)".

anyway, they are the only LPs i like the look of. they look deadly and dark. not cheesy rock..

hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    If budget concern steers you towards MIJ, then I’d recommend considering
    ‘Greco Mint Collection’,

~1987-92.   Generally good/excellent  QC,  

although no one would expect every one to be a keeper.
    Theyre not chambered and weights vary

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8190
    Gerz6558 said:
    I had a white 89 Gibson Les Paul Custom (which a London guitar shop is trying to shift for £3500 as we speak, WTF), and I've just bought a 2018 Goldtop classic (the one with P90's). I'd say I don't feel like I'm missing my custom at all.

But I would also agree with others here, go and scratch your itch. You'll always be wondering otherwise. Glad I did, but don't really miss it or feel like my 2018 is a downgrade. The customs are a les paul in a tux and that's about it, nice ebony boards though.
    Richlite these days, I think?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    Schnozz said:
    It's a shame Cathedrale doesn't have another Edwards!

I would recommend a Yamaha SG1000 and they do Black/Gold - I've had x5 now and they're ridiculously consistent, but I prefer my Lag RR2000 in Black/Chrome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knzXNXqeFAc
    nice but heavy enough that you have to factor in the cost of the regular trips to the osteopath.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7794
    I'd never play one but they do look Rock n Roll

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I've got one of these. Even after having a refret & a set of Bare Knuckle Cold Sweats fitted, its half the price of an LP Custom.

https://flic.kr/p/M92ZHo
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7159
    edited August 2018
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    edited August 2018
    I've been gas'ing hard for one as well! Much prefer Customs to a standard. Probably my "grail" guitar as well - just can't decide whether I want a classic black and gold or a nice silverburst!

You won't be limited tone wise, you can play everything on an LP! Used to use my epiphone (loaded with BK Mules) for all the covers in my old band. If you got some good splittable humbuckers it'd be even more versatile. It won't do the strat out of phase sound but to me thats a very good thing.