Guitars for large fingers?

What's Hot
DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
A close family friend wants to get back into playing guitar. He has a cheap squier which isn't great. As he's a good friend I might see if I can pick him up something worth learning on. 
He struggles to fret single strings atm. I'm going to invite him over to try some different guitars out. I think an SG might be up his street. His fingers are just a bit chubby. I don't want to point him in the direction of MdWilliams as I think that's a bs operation. I've just never considered it as a possible problem? Would Gibson spacing be a good option? He is a Tele fan so I thinking about a classic vibe in due course.
I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1562
    2015 Gibson Junior...
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    2015 Gibson Junior...
    That's a good shout. A friend of mine has one. I'll see if I can borrow it.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    If not electric, classical or acoustic might suit larger fingers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    G&L ASAT (Tribute if on a budget)
  • I've recently taken on a new learner who has large hands and originally had a Yamaha, but has since bought a new Epiphone Les Paul which now feels more comfortable. Also his fretting technique was really bad, thumb way too high and didn't drop his wrist down enough making chords very odd looking. We've only done 4 lessons but already he's improved partly due to this and the new guitar.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    Schnozz said:
    G&L ASAT (Tribute if on a budget)
    They have 41.5mm wide nuts, IMO which is a bit on the narrow side of things.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Thanks guys some great suggestions. An acoustic guitar is a great suggestion as I think they are great for learning your fundamentals on. But he really wants an electric. If I see a fg310 cheap in cash converters I might pick one up. 
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    edited August 2018
    Have you considered Ibanez? Can be had for a few hundred quid second hand and very comfortable to play.

43mm nut, jumbo frets with a relatively flat fingerboard. That might help someone with big fingers as the radius will help reduce the chance of catching other strings, particularly when reaching for the low E and A.

Here is an example: Hodor nailing some Megadeth. He had massive hands and makes the guitar look like a 3/4 but is economy of movement is very good.

• jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2472
    edited August 2018
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    I have 3 of these - 7 string strat necks . Quite nice Japanese made ones ....£99.00 delivered UK
    Could be used as a very wide 6 string neck on a project - nut width is 48mm
    Last fret is about 65mm from memory -  

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    2015 Gibson Junior...
    You will need to remove the robot tuners and the adjustable metal nut, and fit standard tuners and a normal nut with string spacing that properly matches the neck - or all you have is a wider neck with standard string spacing.

(You need to remove the robot tuners because they’re the reason for the metal nut - they cause tuning problems with a normal one.)

But it’s not that much work, and the guitars seem to be pretty cheap...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I have 3 of these - 7 string strat necks . Quite nice Japanese made ones ....£99.00 delivered UK

I hate to state the obvious... 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192593876382
  • I have 3 of these - 7 string strat necks . Quite nice Japanese made ones ....£99.00 delivered UK

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192593876382
    I’m only surprised it took this long for him to get a mention :lol: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

I’m only surprised it took this long for him to get a mention :lol: 
    Me too. I’m expecting a QI style alarm to go off!
    We’ve long speculated about who buys his stuff (he has LOADS of positive sales feedback etc) maybe the OPs friend is an ideal candidate. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    My SG has a narrower neck than my Strat,
  • SparkySparky Frets: 90
    How about a second hand PRS SE? Wide thin neck makes a difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    A bass? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451

What's the Squier he's got at the moment?  I think some Squiers have narrower nuts as they tend to be aimed at young learners with small hands.

Just checked the Anderton's website, and they are listing a Squier Affinity Strat with a 41mm nut width, but if you look at the Fender American Professional it says 42.8mm.  That's quite a difference in feel.

It would be worth him trying something in the 43mm range before going for something weird.