Difference between SSS and HSS configuration

What's Hot
TedTed Frets: 126
Sorry if this has already been brought up.

Whats the difference between the two configurations in terms of playability/sound.

thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    I wouldn't have thought there's any difference in playability, unless you have fingers to rival the sensitivity of the princess in The Princess and the Pea, and can discern what are likely to be almost immeasurably minor magnetic pull differences through your callused paws :)

In terms of sound, you'll get a fatter, "rockier" and probably less trebly/ice-pick and higher output sound out of a humbucker in the bridge over a single coil, in my general experience.  Which isn't extensive with S-type guitars, as I've mostly played dual humbuckers for years now, but back in the day ...
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 952
    Hopefully not teaching you to suck eggs here but S stands for Single Coil pickup and H for Humbucker - so with a Humbucker (usually at the bridge) you get much thicker tone for rock and metal, rather than the brighter, sharper sound of a Singlecoil...
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11465

The big problem with HSS is that the humbucker is likely to be louder than the two single coils, so you will get volume changes on switching pickups.  At least that's my experience

To my mind, you are better off going for a single coil.  Beef it up a bit with a baseplate, and tame the highs a bit with a tone control. 

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10601
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:

The big problem with HSS is that the humbucker is likely to be louder than the two single coils, so you will get volume changes on switching pickups.  At least that's my experience

To my mind, you are better off going for a single coil.  Beef it up a bit with a baseplate, and tame the highs a bit with a tone control. 

To my mind the very best HSS set ups use slightly more powerful single coils (about 7k) and a PAF bridge of about 8k ... then you have no balance issues, and the single coils are still open and stratty.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    crunchman said:

I'd say that if you absolutely could only have one guitar and were not budging on that what so ever then it should be an HSS.

But if you don't have that limitation I definitely agree that a SSS is best for a Strat and a separate guitar for humbucker sounds is preferable. That's just my opinion mind you so barely even worth telling you since yours might differ lol.

Worth noting is that on an HSS you don't just lose the bridge single, you also lose the 2nd position sound, or at least only get an approximation of it.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28652
    crunchman said:

The big problem with HSS is that the humbucker is likely to be louder than the two single coils, so you will get volume changes on switching pickups.  

But surely that's the point? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    And if you have a coil split (or even better a partial coip split) on for the humbucker on a push-pull pot you pretty much have the best of both worlds
    normula1 said:
    And if you have a coil split (or even better a partial coip split) on for the humbucker on a push-pull pot you pretty much have the best of both worlds
    Controversial!
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    thegummy said:
    normula1 said:
    Controversial!
    But accurate!  I had an Aria Pro II strat-a-like that did exactly that, and it was very versatile indeed.

Nitefly said:
    thegummy said:
    normula1 said:
    Controversial!
    But accurate!  I had an Aria Pro II strat-a-like that did exactly that, and it was very versatile indeed.

The reason I said controversial was because it seems most people wouldn't agree that a split humbucker sounds as good as a Strat pickup. I personally think it sounds very different and, in my opinion, quite a lot worse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited August 2018
    thegummy said:
    Nitefly said:
    thegummy said:
    normula1 said:
    Controversial!

The reason I said controversial was because it seems most people wouldn't agree that a split humbucker sounds as good as a Strat pickup. I personally think it sounds very different and, in my opinion, quite a lot worse.
    I concur - it's not the same thing at all.  But if you need versatility with a range of different tones from a single guitar, HSS is a reasonable option & a coil-split etc adds further versatility. But if you are more of a traditionalist that likes the looks and tones of a conventional Strat then of course a SSS configuration is the only way to go. 

For those that want the SSS look but with additional tonal versatility, you could consider a SSS configuration with a 'stacked' humbucker, or a Deluxe Strat with S1 switching that will give you fatter tone options.  Neither of these will be exactly the same as a conventional HB at the bridge, but nevertheless these are some alternative options to consider. 

A key disadvantage of SSS is the 50/60 (UK/US) cycle hum issue that is just part of owning a Strat. A HB won't have that, but in an HSS config you'll still have that when the HB isn't being engaged.  An alternative is to go for a Strat with noiseless p/ups but arguably these won't sound exactly the same as 'standard' strat p/ups.  Having said that, the p/ups in a Strat can make a huge difference to tone/dynamics so it's a case of trying different options to see what suits you best and there arguably isn't really a 'standard' strat p/up anymore.  For example, there are Strats fitted with Texas single-coils that are more powerful and a little fatter sounding.  I have a 2010 Strat with 'Delta Tone' in which the bridge pup is a bit hotter than the middle/neck pups, etc etc. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11465
    Voxman said:

For those that want the SSS look but with additional tonal versatility, you could consider a SSS configuration with a 'stacked' humbucker, or a Deluxe Strat with S1 switching that will give you fatter tone options.  Neither of these will be exactly the same as a conventional HB at the bridge, but nevertheless these are some alternative options to consider. 

I think the Clapton style boost circuit would be a better option.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The partial coil split on the BK Mule in my HSS Strat matches very well with the Kinman Woodstocks in the neck and middle. I agree that it's not the same a true single coil, but it's a great tone in its own right.
    I tuned the split by ear using a multi-turn cermet pot until it sounded right.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    crunchman said:
    Voxman said:

I think the Clapton style boost circuit would be a better option.
    Possibly, but again very much down to personal taste. Having played Strats with the EC style boost circuit I think it's certainly an option to consider but its not for everyone.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • TedTed Frets: 126
    thanks for all the replies, given i can only have one guitar, the consensus seems to be that the HSS config is the one to go for.
    Ted said:
    thanks for all the replies, given i can only have one guitar, the consensus seems to be that the HSS config is the one to go for.
    Defo.

The next conundrum is: do you get a vintage humbucker so you can switch to it without a big volume jump or do you go for a hot humbucker that has a volume jump but when it's split in position 2, the split volume will match with the bridge pickup.

I'd personally go for the vintage because then I could switch between the neck and bridge pickup at will for tone variations. As mentioned before, position 2 won't sound right anyway so I'd rather be able to switch mid part.

The other way you can look at it was also mentioned - use the hot bridge deliberately as a boost so it's as if you stepped on a boost pedal. Depends if you like to switch pickups mid part.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72550
    I prefer a hotter bridge humbucker with a split - I think that gives the best range of sounds, and a useful solo volume boost.

The best pseudo-Strat in-between sound is when the humbucker is very close to twice the windings of the middle pickup, so when it’s split it’s the same. I also prefer it split to the front (plain pole) coil rather than the bridge (screw pole) coil.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2611
    I don't even own an SSS Strat these days but when I did I hardly used the bridge pickup.  On my Tom Anderson short Strat with a splittable H in the bridge, I use the bridge at least as much if not more than the neck, depending on musical style.

I'm not someone who can be arsed bringing different guitars to gigs and HSS is a no-brainer for me personally.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    The deal breaker for me would be getting an authentic Strat bridge-middle sound with HSS.  It's the sound that makes or breaks a Strat IMO, the other sounds available on a Strat are available elsewhere.  If that isn't available, then two guitars.
    I'm the opposite of @ICBM. I go for a relatively low output bridge humbucker with a partial split voicing the screw coil.
    I have in the past used higher output humbuckers and they can work well but I still much prefer to voice the screw coil.