Difference between SSS and HSS configuration

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72557
    edited August 2018
    clarkefan said:
    The deal breaker for me would be getting an authentic Strat bridge-middle sound with HSS.  It's the sound that makes or breaks a Strat IMO, the other sounds available on a Strat are available elsewhere.  If that isn't available, then two guitars.
    You probably need something like a Duncan Stag Mag or an Oil City Brassknuckle, which are effectively two Strat-type single coils mounted on a humbucker baseplate. OK they're still not angled - or they haven't been since the 1980s anyway - but one of those split *is* basically a Strat pickup.

The downside is that they sound less like a Gibson-type humbucker when not split, but there are some circles that just can't be squared. (Even getting a true Strat and a true Tele sound in one guitar...)

normula1 said:
    I'm the opposite of @ICBM. I go for a relatively low output bridge humbucker with a partial split voicing the screw coil.
    I have in the past used higher output humbuckers and they can work well but I still much prefer to voice the screw coil.
    I prefer a partial split when using the pickup alone, but a full one when trying to get the Strat-type position 2 sound. There is a wiring scheme which will do this - auto full split in position 2, push-pull to give a partial split in 1 - but not at the same time as the traditional 2-tone setup. (Or not without a Superswitch, anyway.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom