New Explorer Day

What's Hot
BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
Ive been after one of these in decent condtion for a looong time and today was the day I finally scored one. 1982 Gibson Explorer E2. In absolutely fantastic condition, its obviously been extremely well looked after. The body contours make it very comfortable for the pick hand and perfect for the particular brand of lunk headed no frills metal/punk that I like to play, but most importantly it also goes marvellously with the bamboo flooring in my work room. Heres a pic
0reaction image LOL 19reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    That's awesome!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Ive been after one of these in decent condtion for a looong time and today was the day I finally scored one.
    Glad to see you've finally found what you've been looking for.

(I'll get my coat).

Looks REALLY clean - Nice find!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3572
    Sweet Jesus, that's drool worthy.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    That is epic - love it - HND
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    edited August 2018
    Nice!
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    Lovely! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1384
    Not that I am questioning anything but the body appears to have a few chamfers and a small belly cut. Is that normal for explorers? 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited August 2018
    Its an E2 Explorer - it is normal for them, yes - part of the appeal of them in fact
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16753
    rsvmark said:
    Not that I am questioning anything but the body appears to have a few chamfers and a small belly cut. Is that normal for explorers? 
    No, but it is normal for E2’s

V2’s have similar, but look much worse than the explorer version
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    That is saucy!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23048
    WezV said:
    rsvmark said:
    No, but it is normal for E2’s

V2’s have similar, but look much worse than the explorer version
    I've always liked the look of V2s, although the pickups (and scratchplate) are a bit silly.

Nothing silly about this E2 Explorer though, very nice.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 884
    In my humble opinion the TP6 tailpiece sounds better than normal Gibson tailpieces. I've no idea why.  I've spent an inordinate amount of time switching them back and forth. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5793
    Not my normal bag at all but I do love that. It’s outrageous and understatedly elegant at the same time. 

Very cool indeed 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16753
    dazzajl said:
    Not my normal bag at all but I do love that. It’s outrageous and understatedly elegant at the same time. 

Very cool indeed 

Whereas the V2 just looks like its been left in the sun too long - although I still have a soft spot for them 

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited August 2018
    Yeah, the V2 is almost on a par with the reverse v for ugliness
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10605
    tFB Trader
    I kinda like the V2 ... the trouble is the pickups ... by making them that shape they instantly cut out the ability to fit anything else. That would have been okay if the originals were half way decent, but they were weedy and totally underwhelming. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14556
    In 1984 or 85, a friend of mine sold almost every bit of guitar gear he owned to purchase an secondhand E2 Explorer. The construction of his example was the reverse of the OP. i.e. More maple than walnut. It weighed more than the typical Norlin-era Les Paul. 

the V2 ... the trouble is the pickups 
    Agreed on all points. 

Considering that the E2 came with the original Dirty Fingers humbuckers, the V2 *Boomerang* things were always going to lose out by comparison.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Back in the early 80s I was in an originals band and the other guitarist had a collection of Gibsons (quite unique back then) including one of these. iirc the sound was usually overdriven into a marshall and sounded quite focussed (he was an accurate player by any standards). It was certainly a nice sounding guitar and quite the looker.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10605
    tFB Trader
    In 1984 or 85, a friend of mine sold almost every bit of guitar gear he owned to purchase an secondhand E2 Explorer. The construction of his example was the reverse of the OP. i.e. More maple than walnut. It weighed more than the typical Norlin-era Les Paul. 

the V2 ... the trouble is the pickups 
    Agreed on all points. 

Considering that the E2 came with the original Dirty Fingers humbuckers, the V2 *Boomerang* things were always going to lose out by comparison.
    Had they made the V with the Dirty Fingers they would have a quite different reputation these days.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    That is seriously cool.