No sound from a Squier Standard Tele

2»

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    A multimeter can be had really cheap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited August 2018
    watch this brilliant video by csguitars. bit at grounding is at 2m06, but whole thing is a really clear basic introduction (in 7mins) as to what a meter can do for you as a guitarist and how to do it.

and if you thnk you can handle that much, then this £5 meter will be more than enough to get you going. it's a uk seller, so if ordered wednesday may even be with you for the weekend.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Digital-Multimeter-Voltmeter-AC-DC-Voltage-Tester-Circuit-Checker-Buzzer-NEW/132516115340

i've got a near identical one to this and it is all i have needed for guitar (all the things mentioned in this video) and pedal building. for pedal building they are super useful as they can measure hfe (useful for sorting vintage transistors as to how useful they may be in an effect) and forward resistance for diodes (very useful for diodes, germanium or silicon, so you can match desired fv for that effect to what you have).

before i bought mine the lazy voice in my head said 'but why should i buy a new thing and learn new skills for just one problem'. you may not have that voice, but i do. but the answer to that is 'empowerment'.
    the superbasic (but essential) skills you aquire to fix a simple problem like this don't vanish once you finish fixing that particular problem, you get to keep them for life. and every time that problem or anything of that type happens to you, you are not helpless, you are empowered. it's like learning to change a wheel on your car.
    grounding and continuity on guitars and pedals is a constant in every guitarists life. so i would say have a go. i did and that empowerment thing is a buzz.

it will take and hour of your time to get the basic feel for the principle and practice, and cost you a fiver. and then you know.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom