OK, I've been converted to Les Pauls...

What's Hot
joetelejoetele Frets: 952
edited August 2018 in Guitar
I admit to not having a huge amount of experience with Gibsons/LPs - my mate at school had an Epiphone Les Paul which seemed OK but didn't feel right for my preferences, I tried a Gibson SG years ago in a music shop, and I had a Tokai Love Rock which although nice, again felt a bit plasticky and I didn't get with. So for years I narrow-mindedly dismissed LPs and Gibson stuff as not suiting me, preferring more Fender-style guitars overall. 

Last night I picked up my mate's Les Paul Studio which he bought in 1997 - so could have been made any time in the mid 90s. He claims lots of parts have been replaced over the years, and I noticed it had metal tuners/machineheads (which is my preference to the classic ones). It's been beaten up, has cigarette marks, chips, knocks, some bizarre decoration including what look like diamante studs at the bottom, and there's a hole where the pickup selector switch used to be (he's got a replacement lined up to fit). 

Apart from the somewhat devastating weight of the guitar, the neck felt great despite being a lot chunkier than I'm used to, and the finish matched the almost satin matt paint over the rest of the guitar so was smooth to play, and the tuning held fantastically despite me playing lots of bends - something my Tokai never managed sadly - and the pickups were great even through his little Peavey Backstage. Proper clarity, subtlety and brutal with gain. 

I found myself playing it for ages, not wanting to put it down. And now I want an identical Les Paul Studio (but in slightly better shape than his perhaps!) with the same satin feel neck, metal tuners and tuning stability. Any idea what it might have been, and what a decent equivalent at a sensible price might be? Second hand is fine. Also any guitars from other brands you think might give a similar feel (I know this is hugely subjective and wide open).

(I know, I should have taken a pic. It was ebony with black scratchplate but that could have been replaced at some point.)
MUSIC: Pale Blurs
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wis for your desire to enter the wonderful world of LPs. Sorry, I can't name the model from your description and they can be a bit variable anyway so I suggest looking around, playing as many as you can until you find one you like. I hope you enjoy both the search and the eventual ownership.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 952
    wis for your desire to enter the wonderful world of LPs. Sorry, I can't name the model from your description and they can be a bit variable anyway so I suggest looking around, playing as many as you can until you find one you like. I hope you enjoy both the search and the eventual ownership.
    Cheers Phil. It at least helped me cement a few things I'd like in a Les Paul - definitely the metal tuners because I'm not a fan of the Kluson style ones...and the kind of neck I like too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1267
    If you can live with the tuners (or don’t mind changing the buttons on them) then it sounds a lot like the Tribute I bought a few weeks ago should suit you very nicely - it’s a lovely guitar which doesn’t need to make any apologies for its lowly position in the Les Paul hierarchy and the (no grain filler?) all over satin finish (mines a Gold Top) feels lovely and gives it it’s own identity beyond being a “de-contented” version of something more expensive.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    How about some of the Epiphone LPs? How are they for tuning stability and quality compared to Gibbos? 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    Some of my favourite players have done spectacular stuff with Les Pauls but I've never got one with them. I think I like the idea of them but that comes apart when I actually play them. Good on you for coming back to them.
    Some of my favourite players have done spectacular stuff with Les Pauls but I've never got one with them. I think I like the idea of them but that comes apart when I actually play them. Good on you for coming back to them.
    Honestly, most of the ones I've tried (admittedly not many, and nothing higher end) didn't feel right. But there was something about this one - the satin feel neck, the lack of binding, the tuning stability and the pickups...just felt right. Loved it. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    90s Les Paul Studios are not rare or very expensive, just look for one of those.

They did use all-metal Grover machineheads at some times, although the tulip-key type are more common - it’s easy to change them in any case, no drilling needed, although it will leave six extra screw holes. (Not too hard to fill, especially on a black guitar.)

Most of them also had ebony fingerboards - slightly oddly for a cheaper model, but it was to use up lower-grade wood that wasn’t acceptable for a Custom. It does change the tone and feel slightly so if that’s what you like then you do need one of these and not any other model - other than a Custom.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    If it's a Studio from the late 90s then as far as I can remember that is the model designation.  There wasn't quite so much variation back then!

You basically got a red one or a black one, with silver hardware or gold hardware.  Them's wuz da choices, man.

It's about the only thing that's fixed in my brain, because I got my LP Studio (wine red, gold hardware) in '98 so was paying attention, as it was more money than I felt I had any right to spend on a guitar at the time.
    ICBM said:
    90s Les Paul Studios are not rare or very expensive, just look for one of those.

They did use all-metal Grover machineheads at some times, although the tulip-key type are more common - it’s easy to change them in any case, no drilling needed, although it will leave six extra screw holes. (Not too hard to fill, especially on a black guitar.)

Most of them also had ebony fingerboards - slightly oddly for a cheaper model, but it was to use up lower-grade wood that wasn’t acceptable for a Custom. It does change the tone and feel slightly so if that’s what you like then you do need one of these and not any other model - other than a Custom.
    Snags said:
    If it's a Studio from the late 90s then as far as I can remember that is the model designation.  There wasn't quite so much variation back then!

You basically got a red one or a black one, with silver hardware or gold hardware.  Them's wuz da choices, man.

It's about the only thing that's fixed in my brain, because I got my LP Studio (wine red, gold hardware) in '98 so was paying attention, as it was more money than I felt I had any right to spend on a guitar at the time.
    Thanks chaps, this matches with the guitar I played - all black, silver hardware and possibly Grover machineheads, I think I'll be scanning Ebay over the coming months to see if I can find a similar one. Sadly none of the music shops nearby really stock much variety of second hand stuff. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    There are a couple of 90s Studios on Ebay at the moment; not sure how optimistic the prices are:

Sunburst

Red and Gold; humorous price expectation

Black

They're all the metal+plastic tuners, and the hard cases will be after-the-fact (they came with gig bags).

Snags said:
    There are a couple of 90s Studios on Ebay at the moment; not sure how optimistic the prices are:

Sunburst

Red and Gold; humorous price expectation

Black

They're all the metal+plastic tuners, and the hard cases will be after-the-fact (they came with gig bags).

For some reason only the first link is working...
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Beware....the road to custom shop is an expensive one...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    RMJ said:
    Financially I'm in no danger of that  =)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    £500-£600 should still get you a decent one privately. A shop might ask a bit more.

As Snags said, they originally came with a gig bag which is a Very Bad Idea - or at least the Gibson one is, it actually stresses the neck rather than protecting it - so budget for a decent hard case if it doesn’t have one. (Or a better gig bag with proper neck protection, but they’re actually more expensive than a hard case.)

For this reason, Studios with repaired head breaks are common, and if done well doesn’t affect the strength or tone of the guitar, but it should bring the price down a bit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2333
    edited August 2018
    A 2017/18 Les Paul Tribute would get you there, then replace the tuners...
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    joetele said:
    RMJ said:
    Financially I'm in no danger of that  =)
    Neither was I.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I'm gonna be that guy...

keep an eye out for an Edwards Les Paul. Very good guitars that are often cheaper than the Gibsons and come with Seymour Duncans as standard. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2018
    I think this might be the guitar (not the exact one of course) - looks identical to the one last night apart from missing a scratchplate. 

• fftcfftc Frets: 559
    edited August 2018
    Could you cope with a PRS?

The current SE Bernie Marsden has a lovely chunky satin neck and is IMHO nicer in almost every way than the Gibson tribute Les Paul I also own. Granted, the tuners are a strange green plastic, but if that is the only issue it's an easily changed one.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/prs-se-bernie-marsden-ltd-edition-vintage-sunburst-2018-sebmsnvs