Advice on a PRS

What's Hot
John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
edited August 2018 in Guitar
Looking at getting another PRS, since I sold mine.  Got GAS for something and it's silly buying 'another' Les Paul

Is £2200 a good price for a 2013 Brazilian Artist Pack SC245 ?  Any views on them?  My last PRS was a CE22 which I really liked

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33834
    I have an Artist SC58, very similar model.

I paid about £600 less than that for mine in near perfect condition, albeit in a different country.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdipsiaAdipsia Frets: 55
    edited August 2018
    I'd say that £2k-2.2k is a reasonable price for a Brazilian Artist Pack. The 245 is definitely a more authentic LP than the SC58... and although there are CITES-concerns, the Brazilian and Artist Pack place this on a different-level IMHO.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5447
    The Brazilian board definitely adds to the value/appeal, but none of those older PRS models include any permits/paperwork so it's kinda locked into the country forever, keep that in mind, unless you wanna risk the wrath of a foreign customs seizure. I'd be trying to get it for £2k I think if I REALLY wanted it (but I won't buy Braz for exactly that reason above...)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Cheers guys, I'll mull this one over
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    John,
    That will sound very different to your old (now my) CE22. The CE has a more Fender-y attack, plus that thick lump of maple will react very differently to the body on the CE.

I've yet to play a 'bad' PRS neck but that CE really does have a special one.

And no, sorry... its not for sale, as its now my go-to guitar. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

edited August 2018
    impmann said:
    John,
    That will sound very different to your old (now my) CE22. The CE has a more Fender-y attack, plus that thick lump of maple will react very differently to the body on the CE.

I've yet to play a 'bad' PRS neck but that CE really does have a special one.

And no, sorry... its not for sale, as its now my go-to guitar. :-)
    It was my go-to as well, never loved it, but it was always the one I picked up for a gig as it just worked well, and did everything.  The plan was to start using more of my other guitars instead, which was fun for a few gigs, but now a PITA dealing with Old Les Pauls that wont stay in tune, have poor upper fret access and don't 'jangle'  too well when needed, or my Vigier which although is great looks a bit daft on me IMO

May have to find another CE;)  Out of interest, the newer CE's dont seem as popular, and reason or this?
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5447
    Newer CEs cut quite a few corners to hit a price that the old ones don’t - which makes secondhand older variants a comparable bargain. The only thing the new ones improve on is the pickup selection, IMO, but that’s something so easily changed and customised that it doesn’t really matter. 

£2k for a new one with a gigbag or £750 plus or minus for an old one with a hard case... I know what I’d do. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    Artist pack models always command a premium but who knows if a haggle is on the cards ? It’s a slow old market for high end gear at the moment so it’s always worth a cheeky offer 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    Whitecat said:
    Newer CEs cut quite a few corners to hit a price that the old ones don’t - which makes secondhand older variants a comparable bargain. The only thing the new ones improve on is the pickup selection, IMO, but that’s something so easily changed and customised that it doesn’t really matter. 

£2k for a new one with a gigbag or £750 plus or minus for an old one with a hard case... I know what I’d do. 
    This.

I'd always search out an older one.

Or there is a very pretty blue CU22 on the classifieds at the moment.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14345
    tFB Trader
    I see no issues with such a guitar in the price point - As for the finer detail between an SC58, SC245, Singlecut or indeed 594, then all have a similar flavour, so it is the finer nuances that are different - As such which you prefer is  a matter of taste

Certainly how they feel and play is good IMO - pick-ups and I'd favour changing them - Not that the 245 p/ups are crap, just I think better p/ups will enrich the guitars tone

The Brz part could be an issue if you ever decide to sell out of the EU/UK - legally and technically it needs a CITES now to be sold, even in the UK, but in reality no one bothers - as @Whitecat comments you won't get any CITES for such a guitar, as they were shipped into the EU/UK without them, in the first place and since they are built after 1972 you can't retrospectively acquire any paperwork - I would not let that worry you if you like the guitar, as 1000's of us are in the same position, so buy it, enjoy it and keep it
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33834
    Adipsia said:
    I'd say that £2k-2.2k is a reasonable price for a Brazilian Artist Pack. The 245 is definitely a more authentic LP than the SC58... and although there are CITES-concerns, the Brazilian and Artist Pack place this on a different-level IMHO.
    SC58 has a two piece bridge, the 245 doesn't.
    Isn't the 245 weight relieved as well?
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    Adipsia said:
    SC58 has a two piece bridge, the 245 doesn't.
    Isn't the 245 weight relieved as well?
    I think you are correct on the weight relief for all 245's - Personally I find both 245's and 58's sell well - Minimal difference when played but finer nuances might sway one customer to pick one over the other - I could make either work in the same environment

The wrap over is somehow more PRS home base/territory - but the move to the 2 piece format was somehow more of a move to appeal to a more traditional LP fan - Unless you go with a wd 3rd or very heavy strings, then should not have any intonation issues with a wrap over - You can change to the adjustable SC250 style if required - Not cheap though
    More daft questions - The SC250 seems to go for a lump less than the 245, is there any difference apart from scale length?
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    I just bought a used SC250 last week, it's bloody awesome, gigged it Saturday night and loved it.

#thebatesmotelband
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    John, I'm probably going to get my arse kicked here but I'm going to post anyway.....

I've owned around 6 PRS guitars but none of them stayed. Earlier this year I bought the Bernie SE which is basically a cheap version of a real 245 with less finesse. Same scale, thicker body and neck binding over the standard Se245. 

It is a fabulous guitar in every way, so much so that, at some point, I will be looking out for the real deal core model you are interested in. I have some high end guitars and I love my Les Paul but there is just something about the design of the 245 that really feels good to me. The Bernie has sold the design to me. 

I have no interest in any other PRS models but that Singlecut 245 with a wrap over bridge is a fabulous improvement on the quirks of a Les Paul. I'm a Les Paul guy through and through but it has got me thinking of splashing the cash.
    Good luck with your search!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 19791979 Frets: 87
    My CE24 is still for sale @John_A  , got to be worth a look for the money?
    tFB Trader
    John_A said:
    More daft questions - The SC250 seems to go for a lump less than the 245, is there any difference apart from scale length?
    slightly hotter p/ups on a SC250 - adjustable wrap over on the SC250 - Sure that I recall SC250 are locking tuners
    tFB Trader
    @John_A ;  have you got clarification that it is a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard - Not all PRS Artist Pack models had a Brz f/board - far more models had an Indian rosewood fingerboard

Should tell you via the mod cat decoder - should find it on the tag, maybe still on a sticker on the end of the case but certainly below the pick-up 

If you need help on this you can either google PRS modcat decoder - or type in the info here and I/others can help decode
    I don't, but it certainly looks like it

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    1979 said:
    My CE24 is still for sale @John_A  , got to be worth a look for the money?
    Afraid i'm shallow and not keen on the colour ;)  Loved the colour of mine :( Great price though!