Comments

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    ICBM said:
    57Deluxe said:
    actually, matchless impedance = BOOM!
    lol

I see what you did there :).

Clever, but no... ;)

It's usually much less critical than popular wisdom will have you believe. There are a few exceptions, but generally any valve amp will take a half to double impedance mismatch with no trouble at all, and often 4:1 is OK. It's also always OK if the amp isn't cranked.

But it's still not a good idea to use a severe mismatch (eg amp at 4 ohms, 16-ohm cab) to try to reduce the volume of an overdriven amp, that *can* cause damage.

Sorry to be dull, too good an opportunity to miss :D.
    So if I was wanting to use an 8 Ohm and 16 Ohm cabs at the same time is it possible?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72408
    andy1839 said:

So if I was wanting to use an 8 Ohm and 16 Ohm cabs at the same time is it possible?
    Yes. The combined impedance (in parallel, which is the normal way) is 5.33 ohms, which is safe with the amp set to either 4 ohms or 8 ohms. 2/3 of the power goes to the 8-ohm cab.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    ICBM said:
    andy1839 said:

Yes. The combined impedance (in parallel, which is the normal way) is 5.33 ohms, which is safe with the amp set to either 4 ohms or 8 ohms. 2/3 of the power goes to the 8-ohm cab.
    Brill, cheers!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom