50th Birthday Present For The Wife

What's Hot
MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
My wife, not anyone else's... 

I'm really struggling for ideas... We've been married 20 years next year, and I've always been really good at getting presents.  But it's been a bloody great struggle this past few years, and 50 is a milestone (millstone..?)

Any sensible suggestions welcome (Fender Customshop Tele wouldn't be appreciated, I suspect...)
Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Weekend away for two with theatre tickets. Chicks love that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7807
    yeah, some kind of trip away. Anything she's always wanted to do?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I can't remember what I got MrsTheWeary, terrible. We don't tend to do expensive presents though - when people on here say it was a special birthday so I got a Les Paul I find this unrelatable. 

What about doing a nice thing like going to a Michelin starred restaurant?  Or just ask her. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3592
    Take her to a spa hotel so she can be pamperred. join in or have a swin and a beer, but get her pamperred.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    What's wrong with Customshop Teles?
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    go to a company called destinology. book a lovely holiday, we had an amazing time in Mauritius with this company sorting it for us. I have so many good memories from my trip there.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    MrBump said:

I'm really struggling for ideas... We've been married 20 years next year, and I've always been really good at getting presents.  But it's been a bloody great struggle this past few years, and 50 is a milestone (millstone..?)

Any sensible suggestions welcome (Fender Customshop Tele wouldn't be appreciated, I suspect...)
    Budget?
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Jimbro66 said:
    MrBump said:

Budget?
    Tricky... £50 - £500, generally.  Mauritius is probably out of the question...

I am actually taking her to dinner too.  And some London sight seeing things.  Just looking for the "something" else...
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    edited August 2018
    MrBump said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    MrBump said:

Budget?
    Tricky... £50 - £500, generally.  Mauritius is probably out of the question...

I am actually taking her to dinner too.  And some London sight seeing things.  Just looking for the "something" else...
    With a meal and a London trip already programmed maybe include theatre in the London trip and, as @ESBlonde suggested, treat her to a whole day of pampering at a nice spa. Most women seem to love that.
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    A trip somewhere she's always wanted to go? Back to a city abroad for the weekend you may have go to together when you were younger? A vintage tele?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    edited August 2018
    Nice bit of jewellery? Something gold as it’s 50 years. 

Is there something she’s always wanted to experience? Hot air balloon trip, breakfast at the Ritz, paragliding, something along those lines? 

A weekend course? My missus had always wanted to try pottery so I booked her a course at a nice place on the edge of the New Forest for her birthday this year. She loved it. Lots of brownie points for me and I went to Beaulieu and looked at classic cars while she made some wonky pots: win win. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    She's 50 .. you'll take her out somewhere nice anyway .. get her something she'll remember. I bought my wife some pearls .. she likes that sort of thing and ten years later she still wears them and when I kick the bucket she'll still have them .. it doesn't have to be expensive ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    proggy said:
    What's wrong with Customshop Teles?

She's more of a Gibson player 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    Hungry Hungry Hippos

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4545
    MrBump said:

Fender Customshop Tele wouldn't be appreciated, I suspect...
    Of course not.  Totally inappropriate.

She's 50.  Has to be a Goldtop.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • She's 50.  Has to be a Goldtop.
    One pint or two?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBump said:

Get her a Gibson then ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 412
    A box to keep things in. It can be a really nice box, carved wood, or leather-bound or something.

Then you work together to find things to keep in it. Maybe some little thing from each of the 50 years. You might already have some. An old valentines card. Pictures of you as kids. Family photos. A plectrum from the first time she saw you on stage. A cd that was top of the charts when she was 18.

Then spend all the money you've saved on another guitar. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Does it have to be a surprise? Can't you just ask her what she'd like?

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24352

??
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom