Probably nothing special to most, but cor....that looks nice

What's Hot
joetelejoetele Frets: 951
MUSIC: Pale Blurs
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    OK, without really realising it until afterwards, the local guitar shop had one of these in last week. I tried it out and...wow. For £300 this is a seriously fantastic guitar. Basically an LP Goldtop but with 24 frets and slightly longer scale length, body contours, rubber-lined control knobs and amazing build quality. Plugged it into their amp, which I've tried a few guitars on now, and was absolutely bowled over by the pickups. Genuinely clear and warm in clean and driven channels, with a real sparkly sound, and a complete beast when distorted. 

I think I might be trying this guitar a few more times while simultaneously nagging my wife about it in the run up to Christmas. 
  • Looks a lot like an ESP LTD ( I think the EC 256 is a goldtop, can't quite remember if it has some relicing) so might be worth looking at that range as well.   
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Yeah, I've seen a few of those. I didn't really make the mental connection between the one in the link above and the one I tried on friday until afterwards, I was simply blown away by the guitar I was trying on friday in and of itself. I've not had a guitar make such an impression for a long time. 
  • steersteer Frets: 1188
    Is it very heavy?
    steer said:
    Is it very heavy?
    It's certainly not quite as heavy as a Les Paul - I think Amazon lists it at 5.6kg (although pinch of salt with them as always) - but it's on the heavier side for an electric, I'd say. 
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Thats cool 
  • joetele said:
    steer said:
    Is it very heavy?
    It's certainly not quite as heavy as a Les Paul - I think Amazon lists it at 5.6kg (although pinch of salt with them as always) - but it's on the heavier side for an electric, I'd say. 
    5.6kg would be in excess of 12lbs and an absolute boat anchor.  Surely some mistake?
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2018
    joetele said:
    steer said:
    Is it very heavy?
    5.6kg would be in excess of 12lbs and an absolute boat anchor.  Surely some mistake?
    Quite possibly - Amazon have been known to get weight and dimensions very wrong on occasion. I think my Tele is just under 8lbs and I'd say it was on a par with that. 

Also I'm pretty sure the 12lbs is the shipping weight...

EDIT: Just checked a bit further and I think it's 7.2lbs weight, so around 3.2kg, Not bad at all really. 
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    Seems pretty decent that for £300. It’s amazing what that sort of money can buy these days. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Was surprised to see the Ibanez logo on that tbh.  Looks like really good value.

I
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    I'd prefer it if it was the 1970s/80s double-cut Artist shape.

As it is, I think it falls just the wrong side of the 'blatant Les Paul copy with a couple of changes to keep the lawyers away' line. But it is a very fine line...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    I'd prefer it if it was the 1970s/80s double-cut Artist shape.

As it is, I think it falls just the wrong side of the 'blatant Les Paul copy with a couple of changes to keep the lawyers away' line. But it is a very fine line...
    I thought similar, but then I actually played it. Stunning. 
  • That looks really good. As had already been said, it's very like an LTD EC. My EC1000 was a great guitar, I'd have taken that over an actual Les Paul any day 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    "Jatoba has a reddish brown color which produces a rich mid range with a crisp high end. "

Nice to know it's the colour that determines the tonal characteristics. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Sporky said:
    "Jatoba has a reddish brown color which produces a rich mid range with a crisp high end. "

Of course it is, or have you not been here long? That's what makes the difference between maple and rosewood.

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Looks ruddy lovely !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    Looks ruddy lovely !
    It's even better in hand. Just a joy to play, and the pickups sound BEAUTIFUL. 

I think I'll be mentioning it to my wife every single day in the run up to Christmas. 
  • Sporky said:

-to be fair, the magic ears people wouldn't be able to tell the difference if they didn't have the visual clues ;-)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10465
    tFB Trader
    Is it my imagination or does that look an awful lot like one of these
     https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_sc_custom_vb.htm 

The cutaway is a bit different ... but the idea is pretty much identical. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Is it my imagination or does that look an awful lot like one of these
     https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_sc_custom_vb.htm 

The cutaway is a bit different ... but the idea is pretty much identical. 
    I think there's probably a fair few 'LP-inspired' guitars taking very similar design steps.