Farewell Dean Markley strings

What's Hot
FezFez Frets: 528
I always used to like Dean Markley strings but they don't seem to have solved their packaging issues. I just opened a pack which OK I have had a while but they were sealed and all top three strings had rust on them or compromised plating. These were the Blue steel ones which are supposed to be better than the regular ones. As it happens it was the last pack, I had other than some singles which have also all rusted and now reside in the bin. So I won't be buying Dean Markleys in the future.
Don't touch that dial.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1953
    This is why I don't buy them anymore - Their signature series was awesome, but my last 3 packets were like that. Used them for 10 years before.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AnderzAnderz Frets: 30
    I also said goodbye to Blue steel some decades ago. Now it's Fender bullet and Ernie Ball. 
    Computer Shop UK Your PC Needs In One Place: https://computershopuk.com/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi Fezz and Schnozz.  So sorry to hear of the issues you had with the Blue Steels. It was alter discovered that the corrosion was actually due to the change in acid level used to make the paper envelopes.  Regardless, we would like to make this right for you.  Can we send replacement sets out to you?  If so, email us at dmusacustomerservice@deanmarkley.com and we will get you squared away.  Thanks in advance
    0reaction image LOL 27reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3517
    Well you cant complain with that, well done DMS for stepping up and making this right.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11616
    tFB Trader
    Absolutely great move from Dean Markley. 
    This string packet issue has affected MOST of the world's string makers as one paper company were supplying all the envelopes and changed the formula for making the paper and it caused string corrosion. It took a while to come to light  and cost string makers a fortune.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4933
    Nice one, DM.
  • vizviz Frets: 10707
    Awesome customer service. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    This string packet issue has affected MOST of the world's string makers as one paper company were supplying all the envelopes and changed the formula for making the paper and it caused string corrosion. It took a while to come to light  and cost string makers a fortune.
    Yep, exactly what Curt Mangan told me before he replaced 8 sets of mine. 
  • I always liked DMs
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 528
    Well colour me impressed l better get that email sent.
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    What a top drawer post from DMS. I doff my cap to you sir.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Well done DMs !!!!!!!!! B)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Absolutely great move from Dean Markley. 
    Interesting - I've just been through my string supplies drawer and found four packets of Ernie Balls rusted in the packets.

Just been in touch with their customer service team, lets see if their service in dealing with this is like.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Interesting - I've just been through my string supplies drawer and found four packets of Ernie Balls rusted in the packets.

Just been in touch with their customer service team, lets see if their service in dealing with this is like.
    They will be surprised they lasted as long as they did :D
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7781
    I had this same issue with some GHS new in packet 2 years ago. Tarnish spots aside they didn't sound great, blue steels however are nice if you like a bright long lasting string. 
    I think the issue with the paper packaging affected a number of string brands. The trouble is that although the problem has been resolved there are still some of the packs in the distribution chain. Hopefully that will be diminishing now.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Absolutely great move from Dean Markley. 

Ernie Balls just got back to me - demanding photographs of strings and packets and proof of purchase.

I cannot remember where I bought these from (will have been reputable shops direct, not ebay/amazon) but I'll send the photos of the rusted strings and packaging...not quite the slick DM experience so far however.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    Update - more than a month on and no sign of the pack of strings DM said they would have their UK distributor send me and no reply to my email.
    Don't touch that dial.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mortmort Frets: 719
     Fez said:
    Update - more than a month on and no sign of the pack of strings DM said they would have their UK distributor send me and no reply to my email.

That's disappointing - @DeanMarkleyStrings :/
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    D'Addario is the answer , Sealed and vacuum packed strings .  Realized long ago that strings in paper packs have little shelf life . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom