Wireless systems and 60 Cycle Hum

What's Hot
nutsngumnutsngum Frets: 28
This is more than likely a daft question, but does anyone know if using a wireless system gets rid of the 60 cycle hum experienced when using p90s and single coil pickups?

I have a TVL Jazzmaster and I love it, but it suffers a bit from this, though strangely, not as badly as some of the other JMs I've tried at twice the price.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    No. The hum is picked up directly by the pickups, and is affected to some extent by the wiring layout and the shielding in the guitar, as well as the exact type of pickups. A wireless system simply transmits the signal from the guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• nutsngumnutsngum Frets: 28
    Ok mate, cheers.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    The pedant in me has to point out that the hum as at 50Hz in the UK not 60Hz.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'll put a Spaniard in the works. I've always had terrible noise issues with my guitars (two different houses, several amps, single coils humbuckers and other misc pickups) and the only thing that has ever solved it satisfactorily is a wireless system. I have a crappy Shure thing that eats batteries in the sender and the receiver is A5 paper sized, but it kills all the noise problems I've had.

I'd presume it's because the ground is somehow isolated. There are such things as ground isolators admittedly, though I've an Orchid Electronic one and more recently a Behringer Hum Destroyer, and neither really worked. Both reduce my signal level significantly, and the Behringer seems to now make noise when I DO touch the strings, rather than when I don't (can't remember if this was the same with the Orchid).

With all this said, I'm not sure my noise is the same as 50 or 60 cycle hum so maybe my findings are irrelevant.

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Interesting. I'd sort of assumed because you were essentially removing the direct connection to ground that the hum would no longer be a factor, I'm going to try and pick up a Boss WL 20 when they finally arrive and give it a blast anyway.
    crunchman said:
    The pedant in me has to point out that the hum as at 50Hz in the UK not 60Hz.
    Every day's a school day