What's Hot
kt66kt66 Frets: 315
edited May 2019 in Guitar

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16736
    edited August 2018
    Your are at risk of making people think of guitars as art rather than tools.     I would agree to a certain extent as i have always been drawn to the aesthetic appeal of the instrument.   However, A painting's function is only aesthetic, whereas with guitars its a secondary function at best

How about:  

Telling someone they have too many guitars, is like telling an artist they have too many paint brushes.

OR

Telling someone they have too many guitars, is like telling a mechanic they have too many spanners
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    Your are at risk of making people think of guitars as art rather than tools.     I would agree to a certain extent as i have always been drawn to the aesthetic appeal of the instrument.   However, A painting's function is only aesthetic, whereas with guitars its a secondary function at best

How about:  

Telling someone they have too many guitars, is like telling an artist they have too many paint brushes.

OR

Telling someone they have too many guitars, is like telling a mechanic they have too many spanners
    not agreeing at all...a guitar is more than a tool, it is in itself a beautiful thing...cant really see a mechanics tools or indeed a set of paint brushes filling that role.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5055
    Telling someone that they have too many guitars is like telling someone (usually a lady) that they have too many handbags!  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16736
    WezV said:

How about:  

OR

not agreeing at all...a guitar is more than a tool, it is in itself a beautiful thing...cant really see a mechanics tools or indeed a set of paint brushes filling that role.

Some would disagree... to some a Snap On cabinet full of shiny bits of chrome is an aesthetically pleasing thing.

Did you really get  "guitars are only tools" from my post? You may have missed the second and third sentence.  I will stick to aesthetics being a secondary function though... You don't need a pretty guitar to make music
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I honestly think if you have guitars knocking about that you haven't played for months you have too many guitars
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    WezV said:

How about:  

OR

Some would disagree... to some a Snap On cabinet full of shiny bits of chrome is an aesthetically pleasing thing.

Did you really get  "guitars are only tools" from my post? You may have missed the second and third sentence.  I will stick to aesthetics being a secondary function though... You don't need a pretty guitar to make music
    yep i totally missed the other sentences and spurted out the above drivel...its been a long and weary life so far
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Well its like money innit. 

You can either have enough to get by, but you aint gonna turn down more! 

Saying that.. to some people guitars are also investments.. same as art I guess. 

What I really don’t get is, why spend millions on a painting, to lock it in a vault and have a replica made to display.. silly. Its just a material thing. 

On the other hand, the only guitars I keep purely for display purposes, are very cheap, or broken. 

But regardless, when I wake up, or get home late and can’t play that day, I enjoy looking at my instruments. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • AnderzAnderz Frets: 30
    I know it's not of my business to ever say that to anyone or you are playing the wrong guitar for this kind music.

I do agree that guitars are tools to get the music out. 
    Computer Shop UK Your PC Needs In One Place: https://computershopuk.com/
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    It depends if the person is a collector of objects (which I personally don't really understand but each to their own) or is genuinely just using guitars as tools and has several to get several different tones.

I don't think anyone needs more than, say, 5 different guitars to make all the different sounds they want. Could be argued they only really need 2.

Having said that though, it's no one else's place to tell anyone else they have too many of anything regardless of the reason they have it. Maybe if it's at the extreme hoarding point where it's ruining a loved one's life or something.
  • I once heard someone justify their "investment" in (a lot of) guitars by saying, "You can't play a Picasso!"

All I could think was, "Hmmm... But I play a lot of old Pollocks..."  :/
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    What's all the investment talk?

Are there actually guitars you can buy now that could be worth more in the future?

Or is it just that because people now want guitars from the 50s, they think one day people will want guitars from the 2010s?
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Whilst it isnt quite the same as mechanics tools, there are many woodworking tools (planes from Holtey, HNT Gorfon or Konrad Sauer, chisels from Blue Spruce, general tools from Bridge City, saws from Wenzloff) that are both aesthetically superb but also work wonderfully as tools.

To say that you only *need* 1 or 2 guitars always assumes that everyones reason for owning guitars is the same. It most demonstrably is not. For instance, i have around 9 guitars, and all but 3 were made by myself. I dont gig though i play at home, but i enjoy owning them. And the enjoyment one gets from merely owning an object is surely as valid a reason as any.

Adam
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9660
    kt66 said:
    Telling someone they have too many guitars, is like telling an art collector they have too many paintings.

More like telling an artist they have too many brushes.
    Kalimna said:
    Whilst it isnt quite the same as mechanics tools, there are many woodworking tools (planes from Holtey, HNT Gorfon or Konrad Sauer, chisels from Blue Spruce, general tools from Bridge City, saws from Wenzloff) that are both aesthetically superb but also work wonderfully as tools.

I wonder if we start to find things aesthetically pleasing when we know they're good tools. E.g. I think a Neve channel strip looks great - much more so than I'd ever think about an array of knobs and switches on gear from a field I have no interest in. I think the fact that I know it works so well must have an impact on how I view it aesthetically.
    To say that you only *need* 1 or 2 guitars always assumes that everyones reason for owning guitars is the same. It most demonstrably is not. For instance, i have around 9 guitars, and all but 3 were made by myself. I dont gig though i play at home, but i enjoy owning them. And the enjoyment one gets from merely owning an object is surely as valid a reason as any.

If someone gets enjoyment from owning a lot of guitars then that 100% is as valid a reason as any to have them.

Personally I've never understood the concept of enjoying ownership of something. I've tried to have discussions about it before but people often struggle to understand because their own enjoyment from ownership is so ingrained in them that they just don't understand my lack of that. I remember one girl thought it was some kind of Marxist ideology I was embracing lol

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    "You can't play a Picasso!"
    Well, unless it is a "Picasso"! 

(FTR it's a guitar which belonging by Picasso's favourite musician which he famously drew some things on)

• kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    It's Art and Engineering that is functional, and can take people to any emotion.
    So better than paintings!, don't tell me there aren't people here with hung up guitars on walls that just get looked at? 
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    Telling someone that they have too many guitars is like telling someone (usually a lady) that they have too many handbags!  :)
    Handbags like shoes have a real practical purpose. Guitars are for pleasure, normally.

Who would tell an art collector they have too many paintings? 
    Could apply this to watches, rings. classic cars, maybe books too.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    a typical comment from my Mother (as has been since I was 15 and she is now 84)

" What on earth do you want another guitar for?  - You can't even play the one you've got..."
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Handbags like shoes have a real practical purpose. Guitars are for pleasure, normally.

Who would tell an art collector they have too many paintings? 
    Could apply this to watches, rings. classic cars, maybe books too.

Guitars fall more into this category of "things" for me.  I like guitars.  I like the way they look, I like what they're associated with, I'm interested in their history and how they're built. They have a practical purpose but the fascination is much more than that.

If they're just tools then, I'm afraid, they're tools I can't use very well.  Me playing guitar is like a carpenter hitting his thumb with a hammer or lopping off some fingers on a bandsaw.

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    thegummy said:
    What's all the investment talk?

Are there actually guitars you can buy now that could be worth more in the future?

Or is it just that because people now want guitars from the 50s, they think one day people will want guitars from the 2010s?
    Limited editions, but I was more thinking Gibson Bursts. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...