2»

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    skunkwerx said:
    thegummy said:
    What's all the investment talk?

Are there actually guitars you can buy now that could be worth more in the future?

Or is it just that because people now want guitars from the 50s, they think one day people will want guitars from the 2010s?
    Limited editions, but I was more thinking Gibson Bursts. 

Ah right so it's still the ones from the 50s?

Are they going up in value at the same rate as bank interest?

I genuinely don't know. In fact, as long as they're staying the same relative value with inflation then they're a better investment than a bank account where interest is generally lower than inflation. And you get to play them while you have them!

I think I read something interesting on here, maybe elsewhere, that the people who are now middle aged are the ones who covet the 50s Les Pauls so they won't actually retain their value because when they all die out, there won't be enough of the next generation who care about them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Are guitars male or female?

*Troll mode on*
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Are guitars male or female?

No.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    kt66 said:
    Telling someone they have too many guitars, is like telling an art collector they have too many paintings.

A friend of mine put it this way ..

"When my wife asked me why I needed another guitar I asked her if she'd cook the dinner with one saucepan"
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Anchorboy said:
    kt66 said:
    Telling someone they have too many guitars, is like telling an art collector they have too many paintings.

"When my wife asked me why I needed another guitar I asked her if she'd cook the dinner with one saucepan"
    Doesn't really work as an analogy - people use more than one saucepan because either one is full or to keep things separate, it's not like they only ever use one at a time but have multiple so they can choose each time what flavour they want it to impart
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I have a different version .....

Telling someone they have to many guitars is like telling them that YOU WANT TO DIE!!! TO DIE!!! TO DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEE!!!!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Anchorboy said:
    kt66 said:

Wow, sexist or wot!
  • 57Deluxe said:
    a typical comment from my Mother (as has been since I was 15 and she is now 84)

" What on earth do you want another guitar for?  - You can't even play the one you've got..."
    I had sort of exactly the same thing growing up;

"But you only bought a record just last week!"
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10563
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Your are at risk of making people think of guitars as art rather than tools.     I would agree to a certain extent as i have always been drawn to the aesthetic appeal of the instrument.   However, A painting's function is only aesthetic, whereas with guitars its a secondary function at best

How about:  

Telling someone they have too many guitars, is like telling an artist they have too many paint brushes.

OR

Telling someone they have too many guitars, is like telling a mechanic they have too many spanners
    not agreeing at all...a guitar is more than a tool, it is in itself a beautiful thing...cant really see a mechanics tools or indeed a set of paint brushes filling that role.

I spent a fair amount of time as a pro photographer ... and cameras were simply my tools. True a lovely old Leica or Hasselblad is a pleasant thing to look upon, beautifully crafted and aesthetically pleasing ... but they are essentially metal boxes that hold film in front of an admittedly superlative lenses ... no more.
    Guitars are aesthetically pleasing tools to make music with.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message