Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Facebook guitar sell

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
Is there a Gibson/Epiphone guitar classified section on Facebook?

Someone tipped me off as my guitar was not sellin' on Gumtree....tis true then?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Gibson/Epiphone Guitar, Amp, Buy, Sell, Trade (UK)
  • My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    Hmmmmm....... thanks guys  :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • Just be prepared to wade through shit loads of ads from people trying to sell used epiphones for higher than the new cost! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    The fact that people are starting to make all these individual groups because they want to be the owner/admin is annoying.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_ said:
    The fact that people are starting to make all these individual groups because they want to be the owner/admin is annoying.
    Yep. I only join the ones that have members numbering in the tens of thousands. The ones that have 200 or so I ignore. Otherwise it’s a waste of time posting. I haven’t had much success selling on Facebook - there are a lot of time wasters. 
  • Jack_ said:
    Jim Ramsey, who runs that one, is pretty sound actually. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Facebook lets you cross post items for sale into different groups now, very handy. There's loads of gear pages, lots of weirdos and flakes too though unfortunately!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Facebook selling groups...

Be prepared for...

1. Bump
    2. Bump
    3. Bump
    4. Bump
    5. Bump
    6. Aw man, if I had the money....
    7. Bump 
    8. Bump
    9. Pm’d (Which leads to fuck all)
    10. Bump 
    11. Bump 
    12. Trade for *insert nonsensical item*
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • badlydrawnbanjobadlydrawnbanjo Frets: 855
    edited August 2018
    I’ve done some great deals via the Facebook groups but there are some proper knobs on there who think they’re doing you a favour by making a derisory offer to take it off your hands because it’ll never sell. So like on here, but with a bigger reach 
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I used to be a member of a general guitar etc classifieds group, probably an Essex one. 

I posted a Stagg guitar up, loads of pics, loads of info all within the rules, but it never stayed up for more than 5 minutes. 

Must have tried posting it 3 times over a week before I gave up and presumed the the cock gobbler of an admin deemed it not worthy enough to be in his classifieds. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited August 2018
    A lot of the Facebook Guitar Buy/Sell Uk etc groups do tend to have loads of tyre kickers, any time I’ve posted on them all that happened was a load of blokes gawp over your guitar and talk about how much they’d like it, but no ones ever going to actually buy it. I was selling a LP Custom and some guy engaged me in a long back and forth via messenger about the intimate details of the guitar (string gauge, neck relief, weight etc etc), then after we’d got that out of the way he announced that he’d love it but there’s no way he could afford it and would I trade it for a load of tat he wanted rid of? Erm no thanks
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_ said:
    Jim Ramsey, who runs that one, is pretty sound actually. 

He’s a bit of a muppet to be fair. Always jumping on other people’s sales threads with a know it all attitude which has harmed their sales potential 

Hes another bedroom dealer that started his own group so he can be admin and take advantage of what makes it to the page or not. And of course vetting ads that he can buy for peanuts and push on for profit 

FB is full of these chancers now. Charging more than secondhand shop prices 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5048
    I sold my Lazy J through a Facebook group, so it can work. I’ve listed lots of other stuff that hasn’t sold though...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • thetomskthetomsk Frets: 98
    I've sold about the same amount via gumtree as I have on Facebook.

Facebook seems to be next to useless for high end gear unless it's priced really low, even then you see it pop up again when the buyer tries to make profit on it straight away.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    A lot of the Facebook Guitar Buy/Sell Uk etc groups do tend to have loads of tyre kickers, any time I’ve posted on them all that happened was a load of blokes gawp over your guitar and talk about how much they’d like it, but no ones ever going to actually buy it. I was selling a LP Custom and some guy engaged me in a long back and forth via messenger about the intimate details of the guitar (string gauge, neck relief, weight etc etc), then after we’d got that out of the way he announced that he’d love it but there’s no way he could afford it and would I trade it for a load of tat he wanted rid of? Erm no thanks
    On the other side of the coin I've found FB absolutely fucking murderous to buy from. The amount of times I've agreed to buy something and arranged to collect at the seller's convenience only for them to PM me, sometimes when I'm nearly at their house with a PM "sorry mate just sold it" or even worse "sorry mate, sold it last weekend and forgot to tell you".
  • I had one last week," if I can shift my stuff I'll deffo have this off you".  Got offered a cheap Ibanez and a multi effects pedal for my Orange TH30 once, that lead to an interesting exchange!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Had similar experiences myself. I also agree that a lot are bedroom dealers who skim the ridiculously cheap items then list them later at a markup. 
    Had a bloke make me a ridiculous offer on a classic strat before it was listed 'cos they aren't that good them Mexican ones'.
    Told him I thought he was mistaking it for a Mex Std given his initial offer. After a bit of back and forth he fessed up that he 'likes to buy and sell a bit and actually just sold one of them for about 50 quid more than you are asking mate'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CastroCastro Frets: 512
    The group that I set up 'GUITAR FX & PEDALS UK' has been very successful with many deals being done every week.

It might not be the biggest group on FB - 3,476 members - but I run a very tight ship as nothing can be posted without me having vetted it and I refuse every sale post that isn't pedal-related.
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    lonestar said:
    Facebook selling groups...

Be prepared for...

1. Bump
    2. Bump
    3. Bump
    4. Bump
    5. Bump
    6. Aw man, if I had the money....
    7. Bump 
    8. Bump
    9. Pm’d (Which leads to fuck all)
    10. Bump 
    11. Bump 
    12. Trade for *insert nonsensical item*
    So, essentially the same experience as I have on here?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom