What a surprise! Hillsborough cop charges dropped.

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24327
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45258766

Well well....  who’d have thought that was likely ?
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    “Prosecutors said insufficient evidence meant there was no real prospect of securing a conviction.”

No point in wasting tax payers money for a show trial with no prospect of a good outcome. No different to any other part of the justice system
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    Remember, he was not being charged with any culpability for the disaster itself.

OR for blaming Liverpool fans.

He was being charged for lying four times between 1998-2012 about whether he had blamed Liverpool fans in the first place.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Emp_Fab said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45258766

Well well....  who’d have thought that was likely ?
    Highly likely after one witness died and the other two changed some testimony which is now contradictory. His charges weren't that serious. The other police officers are due to be tried and if found guilty face long prison sentences.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    96 football fans died. Even if that officer was acquitted, the families deserved better. They still do
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12372
    Rocker said:
    96 football fans died. Even if that officer was acquitted, the families deserved better. They still do
    I don't disagree but there's legal process if they cannot can't win in court its just lip service.
    Rocker said:
    The officers culpable in this case are yet to be tried so justice will hopefully prevail.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rocker said:
    This has a faint whiff of “prosecute someone, doesn’t matter who, guilty or not.. just prosecute someone” and we should be careful of that. Justice is 100% needed for the families - by convicting those of negligence on that day. That can be proven. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    well, we should also prosecute those who engaged in the cover up after the event to protect those who were culpable on the day. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:
    well, we should also prosecute those who engaged in the cover up after the event to protect those who were culpable on the day. 
    If the CPS think the police have gathered enough evidence to secure a conviction, then yes.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    Yes, but one witness died and the other two changed some testimony which is now contradictory. There is no realistic chance of him being prosecuted successfully and the charges weren't that serious compared to the other former offices who will go to prison for a long time if found guilty.
    Yes, but one witness died and the other two changed some testimony which is now contradictory. There is no realistic chance of him being prosecuted successfully and the charges weren't that serious compared to the other former offices who will go to prison for a long time if found guilty.
    Serious or not, there is a test that has to be met. It’s universal across our justice system. You are innocent and then police build evidence to present to the CPS - they build a case and test it. If it passes the test it goes to court and a jury of peers decide if the charges brought stand up.

Without this basic principal our justice system is a sham and a joke. If the CPS feel there is insufficient evidence then so be it. To prosecute would be wrong if they felt there wasn’t enough evidence. 

The hillsborough campaign have maintained a hugely dignified and honourable stance with no pitchforks to denegrate their superb work. Our justice system needs to retain and match their very high standards
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:
    They've been charged and will face court.

The guy whose prosecution has been dropped was basically accused of lying to get a job, but it now seems the evidence is circumstantial. You're innocent until proven guilty.

Fretwired said:
    VimFuego said:
    They've been charged and will face court.

The guy whose prosecution has been dropped was basically accused of lying to get a job, but it now seems the evidence is circumstantial. You're innocent until proven guilty.
    I know, I didn't say anything about this specific case. I was adding to the post above mine, context is everything. 

• Some people seem to have a lot of faith in the police and the judicial system. You do realise it was the police that caused the disaster in the first place and then the corrupt judicial system that allowed them to evade prosecution for so long?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Some people seem to have a lot of faith in the police and the judicial system. You do realise it was the police that caused the disaster in the first place and then the corrupt judicial system that allowed them to evade prosecution for so long?
    Yes, that’s true. But similar to the other miscarriages of justice like the Bham 6 or Guildford 4 you have to put some faith in the system when it tries to rectify those mistakes.

If we have no faith in the system at all, then we risk society collapsing to some extent. Some may say it has already however
    well, it was the ceaseless pressure from the families and their supporters who has brought us to this stage, the system certainly didn't make any attempts to rectify what happened. And I'm pretty sure you can't call a systemic cover up a mistake. They didn't do it by accident. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:
    well, it was the ceaseless pressure from the families and their supporters who has brought us to this stage, the system certainly didn't make any attempts to rectify what happened. And I'm pretty sure you can't call a systemic cover up a mistake. They didn't do it by accident. 
    He police covered up. A former government did too. A recent government reopened it and is now seeking to bring charges. That’s the measured view
    edited August 2018
    the present govt re opened the case due to pressure from the families, those are the facts. 

EDIT: the system may have re opened the case without the pressure, but that is pure speculation. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:
    the present govt re opened the case due to pressure from the families, those are the facts. 
    Maybe. But I fail to see what this has to do with someone having charges dropped by lack of evidence? 

The OP sensationalised the news with his subject title and my response was to that - if there is insufficient evidence to convict someone then you can’t convict them. 

This could be another government cover up, yes, but the earth could be flat and there could be aliens in Area 51.. you have to draw the line somewhere
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I have not mentioned anything about the charges against this individual. 

I have also not referenced the OP

Your 3rd paragraph is irrelevent.