Prices gone OTT?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Chalky said:
    I think the biggest factor on the Fretboard Classifieds is prices that are at the high end at a time when £100,000+ of liquidity has suddenly been sucked out of members pockets by the R8 deals.
    Only from those who bought them... sounds glib but its true. Yes, I could have probably begged, borrowed or stolen the money for one, but frankly such a guitar holds no appeal whatsoever. Whilst some have bought these things, the majority have not, therefore I'd contest its the "biggest factor".

There was a comment about non-price drop bumps and them being somehow futile. Well, as someone who has done that myself I can tell you its not - you remind people its for sale. Plus not everyone scans the classifieds every time they visit, so by the time they do, your advert for exactly the item they want may have dropped off the first or even second page (and few people look at ads past the second page, really).

There comes a point below which you think "bollocks, I won't drop any more - its worth more than that to keep it, shove it in the wardrobe and forget about it for a couple of years". The examples above of US Standard Strats is perfect - you all took the piss out of me 18months ago when I said that the price of early 2000s US Standards was rising. At the time they were £500ish... try finding an original one for that money now. If I'd held onto mine, I could have advertised it for £250 more than I did - and probably got it.

The chancers will always chance and the bargain hunters will always hunt - and those who are serious buyers will buy.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Chalky said:
    I've seen a few guitars in the classifieds recently that were/are a little overpriced? No names but some want more than they paid brand new for a guitar only a few years old!

Then we see the Peach R8 sale for bargain prices.  Are we seeing the top of the secondhand market prices?
    Not sure - I sold a Les Paul Studio for basically what I paid for it. I'd had it three years but hardly played it, I opted for higher price than the average on eBay as I could always reduce it. There weren't many on eBay and I was contacted by a guy who was local. He popped round, played the guitar and bought it. Could he have bought a cheaper one - yes, but I was local and he was able to see and try the guitar first.

I don't get why people get criticised for listing a 'high' price. It's supply and demand and confidence - someone may be willing to pay more knowing a seller on here is honest and reliable based on their sales record. If a price is too high for an item that is readily available on eBay or via a reputable guitar store then it won't sell. If you are interested in buying why not make an offer?

And after CITES laws were passed some manufacturers are changing from using rosewood to other more sustainable woods that don’t require certification to trade across borders. For example, Fender have made the move from Rosewood to Pau Ferro for their fretboards on their lower priced models. Will guitars made with rosewood boards be more valuable/desirable in the future?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom