Cheap Tuner Pedals?

What's Hot
I'm thinking of buying a tuner pedal, but am on a tight budget. Not really wanting to spend more than about £30. I've seen the odd old, very battle-weary Boss TU-2 on ebay/gumtree for around that price, but most of the Boss and Korg ones that are in decent nick are in the £40-£50 range.

I've seen the likes of the Joyo JT305 (ie Pitchblack knock-off) and the Behringer Tuner that I can get new within my budget. In terms of accuracy and reliability, is there much of a difference between the likes of the Joyos vs the Boss/Korg pedals?

Any other recommendations from anyone? 

BTW - I'd want it to have 9v battery power, so the 'mini' pedals are off the menu.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72381
    There will be no difference in the accuracy - the technology is very simple and precise and even the most basic implementation will be far more accurate than the typical +/- 1 cent you need (at most) for a stage tuner.

The Behringer pedals I've seen which are Boss knock-offs are identical in performance - I've got a FZ-2 and a SF-300 and they're indistinguishable sound-wise. I haven't seen the Joyo tuner, but I would assume same relative to the Korg.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12902
    edited August 2018
    The snark pedal tuner is very good and costs very little. 

It looks like it's made of plastic but it's actually a metal shell. Seems pretty bomb proof to me. 

There's one here:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/183391605468

You'll probably get one cheaper than that if you try. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a Behringer floor tuner and wasn't impressed. I got a Mooer mini tuner and liked it so much I gave the Behringer away with an overdrive I sold on ebay.

Whether the Mooer is as good as a Boss I don't know not having tried one
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6071
    I recently went with the Peterson iPhone tuner, very reasonable price and incredibly accurate. They do an Android version too.

I've had a few Snarks, they're very handy but they break eventually, usually at the ball joint holding the tuner to the grip. Good while they last though and cheap enough to not mind buying another.
  • JezWynd said:
    I recently went with the Peterson iPhone tuner, very reasonable price and incredibly accurate. They do an Android version too.

I've had a few Snarks, they're very handy but they break eventually, usually at the ball joint holding the tuner to the grip. Good while they last though and cheap enough to not mind buying another.
    The snark pedal is a totally different proposition to the snark clip on. 
  • Try and get a second hand Boss TU-3 if you can. From what I've seen of the Behringer ones they're very unreliable. My mate had one on his board and it never picked up the signal. Possibly cos he had crappy cables and played in drop b lol. But since getting a TU-2 he's had no issues. They'll last years (mine has been going for a decade) and I've never had an issue. Think I paid £55 or so for it. I know its a bit more but I'd rather that and you have reassurance you got a good reliable tuner.
  • Thanks for the input guys. Good to know that in terms of accuracy something cheapish should do exactly the same as a more fancy one. I guess it comes down to how much I can trust in the durability of the cheaper ones. Only one way to find out if guess... 
  • Are you going to be playing live or is it just for home use? Live I wouldn't take any risks with a cheap shit one, I can't be spending half the set worrying if certain things will work or have pedal board issues!!
  • Bit of both, but I'm not a regular gigger by any means. Can always use my cheap little clip on thing as a back up too if needed. Gonna keep my eyes peeled for a Joyo or Snark one on eBay/Gumtree I think.
  • For live I'm not a fan of the clip on ones as people frequently bump my headstock so it could get damaged. Also if doing guitar changes I like the mute function on a tuner pedal.
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    edited August 2018
    I went from a Korg Pitchblack Plus (for switching between electric and acoustic guitars) to a Joyo JT305 (to save space as I didn't need the switching anymore) and there's no discernible difference. I've been totally happy with the Joyo.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Not sure if it's just my snark clip on, but it gives a consistently different tuning from my TU-3.  I use it when playing unplugged but when I plug in and check tuning with the TU-3 I always have to raise each string by about 3 of the gradients on the TU-3.

I'm assuming that given that the TU-3 is an industry standard then it's the correct one, and the Snark is therefore the duffer :)
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited August 2018
    clarkefan said:

I'm assuming that given that the TU-3 is an industry standard then it's the correct one, and the Snark is therefore the duffer
    Just make sure that the TU-3 is set to 440 Hz because you are able to change this.
    Hold down Mode and Stream/Cent buttons at the same time:  if  it displays "0" then it's referencing at 440.
    It does 336-445 so the last digit tells you what the reference pitch is.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    @kurtrowe2000  is selling a korg pitch black for £35
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a Korg Pitchblack Tuner in brushed nickel. Excellent condition and boxed. I could let you have it for £35 plus postage. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6071
    JezWynd said:

The snark pedal is a totally different proposition to the snark clip on. 
    Yeah, the 'pedal' part of the title totally passed me by.  :s
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 337
    Just be patient and keep your eyes peeled.

I picked up a brand new TU-3 for £27.50 from a guy about 5 minutes drive away. That was only a couple of months back.

The bargains are out there.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10466
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:
    @kurtrowe2000  is selling a korg pitch black for £35
    I use a pitch black ... simple, bombproof and high quality.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• BGGBGG Frets: 689
    My Polytune Mini decided to fail on me at a gig on Friday. Set to Eb for a dep gig but it was tuning me to E.
    Very annoying, thinking a TU3 is on the cards now ;)

#thebatesmotelband
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Grunfeld said:
    clarkefan said:

I'm assuming that given that the TU-3 is an industry standard then it's the correct one, and the Snark is therefore the duffer
    Just make sure that the TU-3 is set to 440 Hz because you are able to change this.
    Hold down Mode and Stream/Cent buttons at the same time:  if  it displays "0" then it's referencing at 440.
    It does 336-445 so the last digit tells you what the reference pitch is.
    @Grunfeld , checked and you were absolutely right, it was set to 4, reset to zero as you suggested and all is good, and Snark retrieved from bin :)

I've no clue how that happened, I haven't touched those controls forever, thank you :)