Different or alternative overdrive sounds... What is there

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
So having read the interesting Brian May thread on here recently, I'm interested in what interesting pedals or methods of getting different overdrive sounds, like May overdriving his Deacy and into the ac30s etc.

We all know what a tubescreamer sounds like, we all know what amp-in-a-box pedals sound like. We all know what amp like drive or distortion sounds like, as well as fuzz and distortion.

But which pedals or methods could give something a bit different? If you don't want warm, buttery tasteful overdrive, instead something unusual, but usable as a rhythm tone.

So far I'm thinking of a Bit Crusher, I'm aware of things like the Hudson Broadcast but the demos just make it sound like a crunchy fuzz. The jhs Colourbox could be good (and would suit my username). Would something like the EHX Crayon be such a beast as it says it's full range and may be different?

Alternatively, would one of those Fender Mini Twin battery amps in front of a proper amp as a pedal work in a similar fashion to the Deacy?

Let's hear your ideas for unusual but useful guitar rhythm overdrive sounds :)
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27055
    Gamechanger Plasma? I have one arriving in a couple of weeks. I don't know how useful it will be but I'm intrigued and very keen to find out.  
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    I'm aware of things like the Hudson Broadcast but the demos just make it sound like a crunchy fuzz.
    yeah the demos don't do it justice imo. the guy who first made me aware of them said the same, the low gain is so sort of natural and organic (uuugggghhhhhh i hate myself for saying that) that it isn't the kind of thing that really shines in demos. and yeah the fuzz is awesome too.

my crunchy rhythm sound for a long time was a buzzz (superfuzz) with the octave off. really snarly punky rhythm tone.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gamechanger Plasma? I have one arriving in a couple of weeks. I don't know how useful it will be but I'm intrigued and very keen to find out.  
    Wow that one looks incredible
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28343
    Zvex Machine? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    you could try a video tape machine or cassette player. I had an enjoyable afternoon at a mate's in the 80s playing through the video (set to record, overdrive the tape, monitor out into guitar amp). Nowadays I think you can just use a Strymon Deco. 

Zvex Fuzz Factory is another thing I would try if I were after unusual distortion (is that what @Sporky meant?), which, however, I am not, so I never tried. 

No, I meant the Machine.

It uses crossover distortion rather than clipping. 
  • Good stuff chaps keep them coming.

The zvex machine and fuzz factory seem more on the fuzz side of things, I have a Woolly Mammoth clone which does similar things I think, but they are definitely the right kind of concept I'm thinking of. 

I've also been recommended to try a compressor or two with an eq between or before, shall give this a whirl too
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    Sporky said:
    No, I meant the Machine.

It uses crossover distortion rather than clipping. 
    ah, I've not been keeping up, again ;)

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    You should look at some lower gain demos of the Broadcast. (For me) its clean to crunchy rhythm sounds are probably the strongest point for that pedal. 
    How very rock and roll
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    The moog mf drive is an odd one. Dark and wooly. Wasn't for me but a lot of people like it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Will see if I can find a tape machine to hack, as I've not had a cassette thing nor a VCR for at least 15 years Haha but I suppose yes that would be quite interesting.

You should look at some lower gain demos of the Broadcast. (For me) its clean to crunchy rhythm sounds are probably the strongest point for that pedal. 
    I'll see if I can find one, though every demo I've heard the Colour box has sounded much better for that kind of thing. Maybe I have cloth ears though....

Teetonetal said:
    The moog mf drive is an odd one. Dark and wooly. Wasn't for me but a lot of people like it.
    Will have a look as I've not ever listened to one of those
    Good stuff chaps keep them coming.

The zvex machine and fuzz factory seem more on the fuzz side of things, 
    The Machine doesn't sound like anything else I've heard. Really weird overtones, but still usable. 
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Tronographic Rusty Box or Boxidizer are both surprisingly versatile drives which are based off solid state Traynor amp/preamp circuits.  You can set them for milder drive sounds, but with the gain pushed harder they do a great sizzly compressed solid state tone, with a hint of weird intermodulation in there.

The Infanem Driving Notion is another oddball...great for clangy, scooped post-punk drive sounds.  

Never tried one, but Source Audio did a digital multiband distortion box a few years back, which had some pretty distinct and unusual sounds in it.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • Sporky said:

The Machine doesn't sound like anything else I've heard. Really weird overtones, but still usable. 
    I take it back, the demos I listened to was through fuzz as well (handily, a Woolly Mammoth of which I have a copy so at least I know how that sounds). Yes it sounds like the kind of thing I mean, I can imagine that with by Boss Multi overtone thingy would be like the world was ending due to somebody scratching huge nails on a huge blackboard
  • variplexivariplexi Frets: 108
    Supro drive in front of other overdrives / distortions. Perhaps might not be as "unique", but certainly different! Many tones in there depending on what you stack it with and between the 2 gain settings on the Supro drive. Works for rhythm and lead tones. 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    edited August 2018
    How about something like the Castledine magical mystery box? Based on the old Vox SS amps of the late 60s. I like the misboosted scratchy SS sounds it can do.

The Machine as previously mentioned is a worthy contender - very odd sounds. Buy a Sonar and you get the Machine built in for free...

The Moog MF drive is rubbish, I’d avoid it.
  • variplexi said:
    Supro drive in front of other overdrives / distortions. Perhaps might not be as "unique", but certainly different! Many tones in there depending on what you stack it with and between the 2 gain settings on the Supro drive. Works for rhythm and lead tones. 
    I've a Supro amp already! But it has a line out so could try that into another pedal and into another amp maybe.

How about something like the Castledine magical mystery box? Based on the old Vox SS amps of the late 60s. I like the misboosted scratchy SS sounds it can do.

The Machine as previously mentioned is a worthy contender - very odd sounds. Buy a Sonar and you get the Machine built in for free...

The Moog MF drive is rubbish, I’d avoid it.
    Will look up the castledine thing, thanks. I did spot something about the Sonar having the Machine inside it when looking for where to buy a Machine, seemed about the same price as well... Interesting
    Sporky said:

I take it back, the demos I listened to was through fuzz as well (handily, a Woolly Mammoth of which I have a copy so at least I know how that sounds). Yes it sounds like the kind of thing I mean, I can imagine that with by Boss Multi overtone thingy would be like the world was ending due to somebody scratching huge nails on a huge blackboard
    I would like to hear that. With a Miko.

For some reason almost all the Machine demos are through a fuzz, at which point it sounds like a fuzz. On its own it's rather more interesting than that.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    The 'overdriving a console' type of sound.

You can also cascade multiple channels on a console into one another (ch1 into ch2, into ch3 etc) to get it really hot and crunchy.
    Then attenuate into a tape machine or DAW.

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    octatonic said:
    The 'overdriving a console' type of sound.

This.