What to do when your playing becomes stale...

What's Hot
lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2529
What tips do you have when you almost become bored of what you are churning out at home on your guitar?

Before I went on holiday I was enjoying my playing, but since returning I am just not feeling it.  

I am not a student of the guitar in a learning sense. I play for enjoyment and don't grind out any practice routines or scales, I just play what I like be it Hendrix (mainly rhythm) or just making up stuff.

I don't play with effects, just mainly through a small HT1R valve amp with either a Tele or Strat.

So question is, do you ever get these moments and if so what do you do to get back in to the groove...?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Start transcribing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658

I try to learn something in a completely different style., even if its just a couple of phrases or a different scale.

Try some Cumbia, some Afro Beat  or learn a couple Django runs?

• Buy loads more gear.

(Note: no guarantee of satisfaction is provided)
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited August 2018
    Take a few days, even weeks off if needed. Then come back having missed it, and find that everything is seemingly enjoyable.

(Doesn't really help with your playing becoming stale, but it does take away from how annoying it is :bleep_bloop: The lazy solution!)
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2529
    Buy loads more gear.

(Note: no guarantee of satisfaction is provided)
    I LOL'd but the thought has crossed my mind. Good job I am skint!
    Transcribing is free and actually works.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12371
    I mainly learn songs, some really simple strumming only, some by tabbing out the whole thing.  I would suggest getting a looper and learning both parts, play the rhythm then play the lead it feels like progression to me.  I find I learn (or make up) the bass part and record with all the tone rolled off then the rhythm clean and the lead with an overdrive on.

Learning stuff in different genres freshens things up I have picked up bits of surf, rock and roll, country, pop, 80s etc

Other times I just widdle, don't know any theory just play what sounds good.
    munckee said:
    I mainly learn songs, some really simple strumming only, some by tabbing out the whole thing.  I would suggest getting a looper
     and learning both parts, play the rhythm then play the lead it feels like progression to me.  I find I learn (or make up) the bass part and record with all the tone rolled off then the rhythm clean and the lead with an overdrive on.

Learning stuff in different genres freshens things up I have picked up bits of surf, rock and roll, country, pop, 80s etc

Just sold one :)

I am a simple man so don't like to think too much about techie stuff when I am playing..

I do think learning some new stuff out of my comfort zone would be good though. And maybe a guitar with humbuckers and a new amp ...
    octatonic said:
    Seems like too much theory to me i'd rather just play..
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12371
    munckee said:
    I mainly learn songs, some really simple strumming only, some by tabbing out the whole thing.  I would suggest getting a looper
     and learning both parts, play the rhythm then play the lead it feels like progression to me.  I find I learn (or make up) the bass part and record with all the tone rolled off then the rhythm clean and the lead with an overdrive on.

I am a simple man so don't like to think too much about techie stuff when I am playing..

I do think learning some new stuff out of my comfort zone would be good though. And maybe a guitar with humbuckers and a new amp ...
    If you can be ar#ed to drive to me some time you can borrow my 335 copy for a bit, its a humdinger.
    octatonic said:
    Sure, but that is sort of like saying “I wanted to lose a stone but didn’t want to modify my diet or do any exercise.”
    Or “I want to write a book but I sitting around typing is boooooooring.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    Get stale? I listen to something different. Something like Keiji Haino, clear the decks a bit.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10465
    tFB Trader
    Try: alternative tunings ... always good for making you think outside of the box. For example try tuning in fourths ... it's a whole new world with scales. 
    Try writing a melody and then working out chords for it ... that's a great exercise.
    Try a new style ... maybe even one that you don't really like or 'get' ... I hated country till I learned some flash country runs ... 

If all else fails: buy a mandoline ... or take up the nose flute :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    Transcribing doesn’t have to mean writing it down, just learn songs by ear.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    munckee said:
    munckee said:

If you can be ar#ed to drive to me some time you can borrow my 335 copy for a bit, its a humdinger.
    :+1: 

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    edited August 2018
    octatonic said:
    Start transcribing.
    This. 

And,  join a band or find other musicians to jam with.   I’m not sure how much I enjoy playing guitar on its own these days but I love playing with other people - preferably on stage but just jamming and rehearsing is still great - it’s what music is all about for me.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    Sure, but that is sort of like saying “I wanted to lose a stone but didn’t want to modify my diet or do any exercise.”
    Or “I want to write a book but I sitting around typing is boooooooring.”
    That's it completely, so true. If someone just sticks to the same thing they're bound to get bored. The reason it's worth putting in work and practice is so that playing remains enjoyable.

With transcribing, even if you do write it down, there's no theory involved, you can just write which note is played without bothering about how it applies to the scale.
  • John_P said:

And,  join a band or find other musicians to jam with.   I’m not sure how much I enjoy playing guitar on its own these days but I love playing with other people - preferably on stage but just jamming and rehearsing is still great - it’s what music is all about for me.  
    Wis'd.  I rarely get time to play at home, and sometimes feel when I do it's a bit lacking in direction - but I love playing with the band.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited August 2018
    change instruments. bass, keys, drums, strings, wind, whatever. anything that bumps you out of your groove and interrupts your thinking patterns. the brain can get locked into loops so focus it somewhere where you can only function if you break with those loops.

if you only have guitars then consider something that forces you to move outside your comfort-habit zone, obliging you to ask new questions and break new ground. get a new effect, get an ebow, tune it weirdly, play wrong handed, take some strings off, etc.

the aim is not to get results (though that may happen) the aim is to break your habits and reboot your brain.

also important to remember that in this context, frustration, disappointment, despair (feelings that usually have negative connotations) are to be expected. it may well be that it is your avoiding of them that has forced you into the comfort-habit corner you now find yourself trapped in.
    so consider them not to be avoided, but accepted and got on with, like nasty-tasting antibiotics that make you better in the long run.

i also recommend these. oblique counsel from a very wise (and oblique) owl. http://stoney.sb.org/eno/oblique.html

dictated but not read, doctor Vale.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    ...the one thing that dictates what I play (when not learning or revising a set piece) is the tone the guitar+chosen amp+coupled pedals makes upon startup.

If I get a strident tone then I rock, if it is a mellow lusciousness, then I luxuriate, if it is dull and lifeless then I go and cut the grass or paint something...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>