Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson blowout - wait or buy?

What's Hot
AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 479
edited August 2018 in Guitar
With the Peach R8 thread going strong with some cracking deals to be had, I thought about the end of year discounts that Gibson put out on all of there normal USA line guitars. Does anyone remember when they begin? I've got my eye on one of the goldtop classics and don't know whether to wait for the looming crazy blowout or order one from Andertons for £1200. This seems like a good deal already to me and most other retailers have them at around £1500.

Any ideas chaps?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5114
    From speaking with Peach it is very likely that both Memphis and USA Gibsons are also present within the factory being liquidated, and these will be being blown out at silly prices too.

This will not follow the usual timescales that we have seen for end of year blowouts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2620
    tFB Trader

Hmm..  Last year they released them on Sept 1st...  Id wait and see what happens if I were you.

Also Gibson are coming up to the end of their protected period in their chapter 11 thingy..  Not sure whats going to happen next with that.

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8209
    Presume it's the Classic LP you are looking at. Hard to believe they will go much lower. Think they were £1800 originally. Cracking deal at £1200.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    edited February 2019
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2346
    With the Peach R8 thread going strong with some cracking deals to be had, I thought about the end of year discounts that Gibson put out on all of there normal USA line guitars. Does anyone remember when they begin? I've got my eye on one of the goldtop classics and don't know whether to wait for the looming crazy blowout or order one from Andertons for £1200. This seems like a good deal already to me and most other retailers have them at around £1500.

Any ideas chaps?
    I'm tempted by the Pelham Blue instead of an R8.....purely because I'll not be as worried using it all the time! Plus the Classics look lovely and I bet the P90s sound great. 
  • Thanks guys, I might hang on a little while longer in that case. Knowing my luck I'll buy one then the following day they'll 400 off the price.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8556
    Where are you seeing the Goldtop at that price? Anderson’s have Pelham Blue and Black at 1200, but not goldtop.
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 497
    Thanks guys, I might hang on a little while longer in that case. Knowing my luck I'll buy one then the following day they'll 400 off the price.
    If you buy online you have 14 days to return it. That might force their hand to give you the difference back instead if you query it.
    tFB Trader
    wesker123 said:
    Thanks guys, I might hang on a little while longer in that case. Knowing my luck I'll buy one then the following day they'll 400 off the price.
    If you buy online you have 14 days to return it. That might force their hand to give you the difference back instead if you query it.

Sneaky...

:)

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9478
    0% 36 month deal with guitar guitar runs out on 31st August so maybe they'll kill that and then discount the guitars. Not sure if that deadline is specific to that shop or not.

Are the likes of the already-discounted 330s expected to be further reduced or just full price stock?
    I jumped on a 330 yesterday. VOS at 2k with 36 months 0%. I doubt they’ll go much lower than that and finance will likely be gone. GG also have 339s at £1699 with a £200 voucher. Again, I cant see them going much under.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    edited February 2019
  • dindude said:
    Where are you seeing the Goldtop at that price? Anderson’s have Pelham Blue and Black at 1200, but not goldtop.
    Oops. I was sent a link to the black version by a colleague and assume they were all the same price. I was tossing up between gold and black anyway so this has made the desision easier!
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    edited August 2018
    I bought a classic goldtop a month or so ago for 1299 from GG, I asked them to price match the goldtop vs the Pelham blue and black models. Was painless enough.

As much as I like those R8's on offer I think that these classics are the real steal. Gibson don't do the goldtop p90 spec in the regular line up all that often, 1200/1300 is great value when you compare what that gets you these days.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10912
    chris78 said:
    0% 36 month deal with guitar guitar runs out on 31st August so maybe they'll kill that and then discount the guitars. Not sure if that deadline is specific to that shop or not.

Are the likes of the already-discounted 330s expected to be further reduced or just full price stock?
    I jumped on a 330 yesterday. VOS at 2k with 36 months 0%. I doubt they’ll go much lower than that and finance will likely be gone. GG also have 339s at £1699 with a £200 voucher. Again, I cant see them going much under.
    What's the neck measure on those? Everywhere just says "C"
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10912
    @chris78 let us know how you find it when it turns up :)
  • Gerz6558 said:
    I bought a classic goldtop a month or so ago for 1299 from GG, I asked them to price match the goldtop vs the Pelham blue and black models. Was painless enough.

As much as I like those R8's on offer I think that these classics are the real steal. Gibson don't do the goldtop p90 spec in the regular line up all that often, 1200/1300 is great value when you compare what that gets you these days.
    Yeah P90 LPs don't appear often other than limited editions or signature models. How are you liking yours? The seem to have been well received from what i've read.
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    edited August 2018
    Yeah P90 LPs don't appear often other than limited editions or signature models. How are you liking yours? The seem to have been well received from what i've read.

It's great, I'm more a Fender guy these days so the p90's were a real draw for me. It replaces a 89 les paul custom, and I don't feel like it's been a drop in quality at all. I got GG to send me their lightest one as I've seen them hover between 9 pounds 10 plus pounds.

I've always been after a goldtop and almost got an R6 a few times, it's alot of money though. Could not turn these down, especially after reading how well they've been received on the les paul forums, as you say.

Looks like the classics in 2019 are back to humbuckers and a sizeable price increase. I figured at this price the worse case would be that you probably won't lose any money if you wanted to move it on at some stage.
    tFB Trader

Any ideas chaps?

I was just having a look..  For fifty quid more you can get the Classic Player Plus

https://www.andertons.co.uk/les-paul-guitars/gibson-usa-2018-limited-edition-les-paul-classic-player-plus-satin-ocean-blue

https://i.imgur.com/EXgPniI.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/n65fR1o.jpg?1

And a Traditional for £1675

https://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-guitars/gibson-usa-2018-les-paul-traditional-in-tobacco-sunburst-perimeter-lptd18tbnh1180006224

https://i.imgur.com/iFRPLST.jpg

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12697
    If nobody buys them, of course the price will go lower!!!!

Dors anyone else feel a bit like this is like vultures picking a carcass clean???
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9478
    roberty said:
    @chris78 let us know how you find it when it turns up :)
    Will do. I’m dreadful at uploading pics to this forum, but I’ll see what I can do