Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson blowout - wait or buy?

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27221
    @roberty I got one of the 330s as well. Neck is a middle sized C shape. A little like an R9 (not as big as R8, certainly). So not huge but also nowhere near as slim as a “slim taper”. It’s a fraction bigger than my early-2000s SG standard if that helps.

Its a very comfy neck.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9378
    @roberty  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g6t0sq11z347hw3/AACvAYlA2qRm2bfL0j9u;

I can’t upload, but hopefully this link works to the 330 & 339
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    chris78 said:
    @roberty  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g6t0sq11z347hw3/AACvAYlA2qRm2bfL0j9u;

I can’t upload, but hopefully this link works to the 330 & 339
    Nice. I was *this* close to buying a 330, but went for a 335 instead - the current Gibson "sell them, sell all the guitars" pricing meant they were the same price so it was really down to feel.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15987
    two questions....

have we seen the last of the 2.5k lemon tops?

and what price can we expect the 2019 58s to be?
    tae be or not tae be
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2532
    I am a fender guy at heart but I can feel some serious Gibson GAS brewing!!
    I am a fender guy at heart but I can feel some serious Gibson GAS brewing!!
    Exactly the same. A tele is my guitar. These prices are incredible though and it’s nice to have a variety of sounds. The 330 is on 3 years interest free at £50 a month. People spend more at Starbucks 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23083
    edited August 2018
    impmann said:
    Dors anyone else feel a bit like this is like vultures picking a carcass clean???
    Nature, red in tooth and claw....
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2613
    tFB Trader
    Thanks guys, I might hang on a little while longer in that case. Knowing my luck I'll buy one then the following day they'll 400 off the price.

Announcement has happened now.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    hootsmon said:
    two questions....

I could be mistaken but I’m pretty sure Gibson is going “full custom” for 2019... so no “off the peg” R8s as such. Price will depend on your spec I guess... although I’m sure a dealer could give you/us an idea of the “base” price...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23083
    Whitecat said:
    hootsmon said:
    two questions....

I could be mistaken but I’m pretty sure Gibson is going “full custom” for 2019... so no “off the peg” R8s as such. Price will depend on your spec I guess... although I’m sure a dealer could give you/us an idea of the “base” price...
    Straight back up to £5k+, presumably...?
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10894
    Philly_Q said: 
    Whitecat said:
    hootsmon said:
    two questions....

Scary shit, isn't it. Like climate change. The Gibson weather system is volatile
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The prices of the new models aren't as bad as I was expecting. The new classic has gone up by a couple of hundred. Just got to wait for the old models to drop now I guess.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    roberty said:
    Philly_Q said: 
    Whitecat said:
    hootsmon said:
    two questions....

Scary shit, isn't it. Like climate change. The Gibson weather system is volatile
    Heh, definitely. The big thing about the new plan is that “overstock” will be a thing of the past - unless a dealer over-orders for some reason... everything is otherwise built to order. £2499 R8s will just never happen under the proposed system. 
  • ^^^^ and that might be just what's needed to save Gibson. 

Not building more guitars than there is demand for means you don't need as big a wageroll, warehousing, and shipping them around the world and you don't end up junking your prices to clear old stock ever year. This in turn might restore some relationships with dealers and open up the books again. Finally, if you're building to order, you can spend more time making sure they're perfect. 

That's good for the used market too. 

It'll take a couple of years for the market to settle into the new pricing, which at first glance seems high...but I don't think they're competing with Fender. They're trying to put PRS in their place. PRS are pretty damn expensive, but lose a stack load more value on the used market. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I think it’s a good move, stock wise. They do need to get rid of their yearly iteration crap though as that’s inevitably what causes these sales just as much as the overstock and inflated price - these are guitars, not mobile phones. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Adamski said:
    I think it’s a good move, stock wise. They do need to get rid of their yearly iteration crap though as that’s inevitably what causes these sales just as much as the overstock and inflated price - these are guitars, not mobile phones. 
    Don’t forget, each year they’re the “best ever”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FWIW I bought a goldtop Classic a few weeks ago, paid 1350.  Tried to get price down to the 1290 that was then the best I could see for the Black and Pelham Blue versions, but nobody wanted to do that on the goldtops.
    The best I could eventually get was 1350 (Thank you, Reidys).  Tried Andertons but they wouldn't go less than 1549, I think it was, and weren't prepared to even price match the other main dealers who were advertising at 50 quid less at that time. Couple of days later they did drop their screen price to match others, just wouldn't do it for me on the phone, hence I bought mine elsewhere. Andertons had about a dozen in stock the day I tried to get the price match and then these were gone within a week so i guess they weren't in a hurry to get down to the 1300 mark, really. Bit disappointed they wouldn't price match though, over 50 quid.  
    Lovely sounding and looking guitar.  The new 2019 ones appear to be quite different, weight relieved too, no P90s, not the same model at all really.    
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    They're trying to put PRS in their place.
    Where is that?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FWIW I bought a goldtop Classic a few weeks ago, paid 1350.  Tried to get price down to the 1290 that was then the best I could see for the Black and Pelham Blue versions, but nobody wanted to do that on the goldtops.
    The best I could eventually get was 1350 (Thank you, Reidys).  Tried Andertons but they wouldn't go less than 1549, I think it was, and weren't prepared to even price match the other main dealers who were advertising at 50 quid less at that time. Couple of days later they did drop their screen price to match others, just wouldn't do it for me on the phone, hence I bought mine elsewhere. Andertons had about a dozen in stock the day I tried to get the price match and then these were gone within a week so i guess they weren't in a hurry to get down to the 1300 mark, really. Bit disappointed they wouldn't price match though, over 50 quid.  
    Lovely sounding and looking guitar.  The new 2019 ones appear to be quite different, weight relieved too, no P90s, not the same model at all really.    
    The Classic is the nicest 2018 model, for the price, IMO.

I've not seen many Goldtops cheaper than £1300, but the Pelham blue is now £1199 and I am VERY tempted.
    That's good to know, thanks. Does seem daft that they wouldn't price match at all. The goldtop is lovely, however I'm starting to lean towards Pelham Blue with cream plastics.