Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Combo, Heads and cabs

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
Just musing after tonights gig over a gin and tonic and I'm thinking Heads and Cabs are more popular than combos (I could be wrong). What is your preference and why?
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    Combo - mine is small and light. Had head / cab back in the day but my amp sits out at home so needs to look nice ( wife said )
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    No combo projects like a big 2x12 and certainly not like a 4x12. 

Plus point of the combo is less trips to the car

Weight doesn’t really come into it for me as my gigging combo has been a 4x10 which is far more of a pain in the arse to carry than a separate head and 2x12. 

I am talking absolute and utter bollocks here though because I’ve just got an ABY pedal again so I can use a Head, Cab and Combo set up. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72366
    Guitar - combo.
    Bass - head and cab.

Because those are the best solutions for the sounds I want and the type of music I play.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I love combos. I used to think they were gash, but over time I came to realise combos were cooler :)

I also love the way certain amps sound better when the mechanical interaction between amp and speaker is more intense. Matchless DC30 for example I think sounds better than the HC30 / 212 cab.

I also love the way certain amps sound better when the mechanical interaction between amp and speaker is more intense. Matchless DC30 for example I think sounds better than the HC30 / 212 cab.
    That’s definitely a factor with valve amps. It’s not good for the valves, but it does improve the sound. (Or not, if you want very tight, focused sounds.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited September 2018
    I have always preferred combos, most of the guitars idols I had as a kid used combos and they are what I started out using (Peavey). I'm using a Mesa Mark V 35 combo at present.

When it comes to valves though, a small head and cab can avoid the tube rattle that some combos can suffer.

• vizviz Frets: 10698
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Head over combo all day long as I use them with IRs and need to get as many as possible into my tiny guitar room :-)
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • I've always had combos myself but I feel I should go for a Head ad Cab to try them out. I know it'll be another trip to the car and back for the box but at least the weight will be disbursed between them. ;) It's a consideration I have t think of nowadays unfortunately :(
  • viz said:
    Awful lOL
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

From a purely engineering point of view it is a bit crazy to put valves in a box and expose them to 130dB SPL+ sound levels* and expect them NOT to feedback! There is also a big compromise in cabinet design when it has to hold both amp chassis and speaker. Combos can be a bugger to "de-rattle"!

Not! That there is much science involved in guitar cabs. There is, or should be in a bass cab and in any case, if you had an SVT with internal amp you would need a forklift instead of a Transit.

*Mind you, I have always thought that a combo's sound MUST be influenced by the speaker/valve coupling to some degree? Has anyone tried comparing an amp going from internal speaker to a nominally identical external? Easiest to do with two identical combos.

Dave.

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Matchless DC30 for example I think sounds better than the HC30 / 212 cab.
    My back also agrees with this... ;)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    viz said:
    Both:

[Marshall ms-2 with the 412 cab. (loud)]
    In a shop I used to work in, I did that - I had an MS-2 on the counter to test guitars when they came in for work, but I had fitted an extension speaker jack and connected it to a Laney 4x12" which was in the amp display area next to the counter - it wasn't immediately obvious where the sound was coming from so at first it made it look like the MS-2 was making all that noise :). A whole half a watt is quite a lot through an efficient cab!

ecc83 said:

I have always thought that a combo's sound MUST be influenced by the speaker/valve coupling to some degree? Has anyone tried comparing an amp going from internal speaker to a nominally identical external? Easiest to do with two identical combos.

Yes, I have - and there's very definitely a 'microphonic' component in the sound even when it isn't obviously whistling or ringing. I was actually experimenting to see why two nominally identical amps sounded different, by ruling out the speakers - but the difference in sound was the same whichever amp section was connected to the opposite speaker, rather than its own.

ecc83 said:

Not! That there is much science involved in guitar cabs. There is, or should be in a bass cab and in any case, if you had an SVT with internal amp you would need a forklift instead of a Transit.
    Trace Elliot did make an 8x10" bass combo, who knows why! And admittedly the amp section was solid-state, so it probably didn't make a lot of difference to the weight of the cab. It was an unwieldy pig to move though, partly because it was slightly top-heavy.

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

Ah! The T Elly might be a bit more practical theses days with SMPSUs and class D!

Dave.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    Always head and cab for me from now on. The head version always sounds better through a 2x12 or 4x12 imo. Combos are just a pain in the arse to move as well, even 112s can be heavy.
  • TTBZ said:
    Always head and cab for me from now on. The head version always sounds better through a 2x12 or 4x12 imo. Combos are just a pain in the arse to move as well, even 112s can be heavy.
    Yes this is my thinking too as I'd like a 2x12 cab but from experience a 2x12 combo is just too impractical now :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • After a lifetime of using combos, with the odd period of "ghost rattle" from valves or chassis from time to time, I now find myself using low powered combos at home but a head and cab away when playing with drummers. As we're talking a Bluguitar AMP1 and a 1x12 FatCab, there's a big difference in weight that my back thanks me for. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4174
    Head (lunchbox) and cab (small).  If I could carry heavier weights I’d use a Mk. Boogie of some kind but I can’t, so it’s the Bonsai version.

I’m looking at more and more Helix reviews though...
  • supessupes Frets: 183
    Head and cab. Gigged for years, tried both but i always come back to head and cab. I think it’s the spread of sound you convince yourself is much better with a cab. 
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    Every time I pick up my Tremoverb I'm glad it's a head....