Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Combo, Heads and cabs

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Never owned a combo for a gigging amp. Always a head and a cab. Can fit my 4x12 in my car (used to have a van) and always have bodies available to help out. Usually play with loud drummers so need something to compete!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

Then, since most people agree that a good (...)* % of your sound is due to the speaker, IF the amp blows you can still crack on with a spare. Very unlikely to blow a 4x12. Yes! I know you could jack into the dead comb's speaker but not all are that accessable.

*Put your personal number in there.

Dave.

• The only speaker I’ve ever blown was in a 4x12...
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    I've used both.. I like to think I prefer head/cab yet I don't own any currently and have no plans to get one... 
    I have a great combo though and it has satisfied all amp gas.. 
  • LuttiS said:
    I've used both.. I like to think I prefer head/cab yet I don't own any currently and have no plans to get one... 
    what combo do you have then @LuttiS ;
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    hotpickups said: 
    LuttiS said:
    I've got a Kustom 36 Coupé. It had been on my ''to try' list for a while, one came up at a great price and went with it. Was a bit of a gamble as was broken (hence the great price of about 10% of new..). Once repaired it completely blew me away. 
    Really great cleans and pedal platform, also very responsive and organic drive channel..
  • LuttiS said:
    hotpickups said: 
    LuttiS said:
    I've got a Kustom 36 Coupé. It had been on my ''to try' list for a while, one came up at a great price and went with it. Was a bit of a gamble as was broken (hence the great price of about 10% of new..). Once repaired it completely blew me away. 
    Really great cleans and pedal platform, also very responsive and organic drive channel..
    Never seen one of them in the flesh yet :(
  • Combo, because you all the best amps are combos - AC30, DRRI, PRRI, 

I suspect most of this ultimately comes down to whether you’re a Marshall/Mesa person or a Fender/Vox person
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    LuttiS said:
    hotpickups said: 
    LuttiS said:
    Never seen one of them in the flesh yet :(
    Highly recommend if you do come across. Imagine Fender cleans with a cranked Marshall and everything on between. 
    Then imagine that they are usually a silly low price as people don't usually like tuck n roll finishes for some reason :)
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4927
    Some of the current combos are just a cab with a head attached.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72367
    prowla said:
    Some of the current combos are just a cab with a head attached.
    But if they're valve amps, they still have some of the microphonic interaction between the speaker and the valves via the cabinet, even if the speaker isn't in the same enclosed space.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    I've got a combo, but if I were buying today it would 100% be a head and cab setup. That allows more switching around and changing of items.
  • Kitsune said:
    I've got a combo, but if I were buying today it would 100% be a head and cab setup. That allows more switching around and changing of items.
    Yes that thought has occurred to me too. However, I rarely swap stuff around continually. Just because I can't be bothered to do so ;)
  • Was happy with a combo until I tried a marshall cab and 4x12. Just seems to be more versatile. And sound better than I thought at lower volume and looks bad ass!
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I dread to think how heavy a 100w Matamp combo would be. Certainly over 1000 kilos!
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited September 2018
    I have tried the same amps (Redplate Backverb, Ceriatone OTS, 1987 clone, Carr Rambler) in both combo and head/cab format a number of times and every time the sound is better from the head/cab. Its the response of a big cab allowing the speakers (EV and Red Fang) to breathe. Combo always sounded compromised to me, but very convenient.
  • I only own a head... no cabs. 

I do have a PA system and a couple of powered speakers that I route my head too.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you