Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Allure of the Headstock

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22941
    Kitsune said:
    I prefer the big 70s Fender headstock. Looks much better than the undergrown one.
    I think Fender got both their Strat headstocks just right (ignoring mis-steps like "The Strat", I think that was just a tooling error).  Both look great on Strats of the relevant periods.

I think I lean towards the big headstock due to the Blackmore, Trower, Roth associations but I really like the '50s and '60s looks as well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    edited September 2018
    I'm going to shock @Philly_Q here... I am coming round to the 70s Fender Headstock (mainly for the reasons @ICBM states). However, out of the 4 or 5 strats I do own, they're still all 50s/60s.

On the allure/brand/etc of the original post... I'm easy on it either way myself. But mostly I buy Gibsons/Fenders over Epiphone/Squier because I prefer them and can afford them. I'm very happy that Mexican Fender are real Fenders (same as Japanese are - except, out of the ones I've played, I don't like them so much!).

I buy Gibsons/Fenders instead of "whoever" when I want a Gibson/Fender design. Mainly because I grew up on "copies" in the days when that wasn't such a good thing... and again, because I can afford it now.

When it's not a G/F design - eg Yamaha Revstar - and it grabs me... I'm all over it :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    octatonic said:
    I don't mind the Tyler headstock. It's unapologetic and pretty much the only not-Fender that is properly trying not to be a Fender headstock. 

It is basically a 'fuck you' to vintage purists too.

Tyler is a funny guy- the psychedelic vomit finish was meant to be a joke that people, inexplicably, seemed to like.

I think the repetition of the logo on the Tyler headstock makes it seem much worse than it actually is.  When I try to visualise it without all that it never seems as bad.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72413
    Philly_Q said:

(ignoring mis-steps like "The Strat", I think that was just a tooling error).
    I can't believe it was - it's too big a difference. Someone must have drawn what they thought was a 'small' headstock without taking the apparently obvious steps of either looking at the original drawings - which if I remember rightly may have been lost or destroyed by CBS - or just finding an old one and drawing round it.

I seem to remember reading that the Cunetto-era headstock was intentionally wrong too, to avoid fakery - but I find that odd as well, because it's so easy to permanently mark the neck as a reissue somewhere else. Either way it spoils the effect of the otherwise quite realistic relicing, because you can see the head shape is wrong from the other end of a room.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Also +1 for “yay nitro”. I don’t doubt a good thin poly (of whatever type) sounds just as good, but nitro looks better and feels better and wears better, and that helps me make more of a connection with an instrument 

Once I’ve had my old Strat refin-ed I’ll only have one poly finish - paisley MIJ Tele :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    AndyR said:
    I'm going to shock @Philly_Q here... I am coming round to the 70s Fender Headstock (mainly for the reasons @ICBM states). However, out of the 4 or 5 strats I do own, they're still all 50s/60s.
    I am shocked!
    Philly_Q said:
    AndyR said:
    I am shocked!
    However... the vile painting of strat headstocks is another matter entirely, deserving of severe and possibly violent disapprobation :)
    AndyR said:
    Philly_Q said:
    AndyR said:
    I am shocked!
    However... the vile painting of strat headstocks is another matter entirely, deserving of severe and possibly violent disapprobation :)

I look forward to you getting a nice '60s in Burgundy Mist with a matching headstock...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    AndyR said:
    Philly_Q said:
    AndyR said:
    I am shocked!
    Nonsense...I really like matching headstocks. My 2010 Daphne blue Strat is lovely and the matching headstock looks fab!  ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    When it comes to a Stratocaster (my main squeeze) then I'm a Fender guy. I won't look at another Strat. Other than that I don't care. I have a couple of Godin guitars which I'd have trouble giving away .. I have a Tele made by Arrowhead Guitars and a Mike Stern Yamaha signature Tele and an Epi Dot which I've had modified.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Voxman said:
    AndyR said:
    Philly_Q said:
    AndyR said:
    I am shocked!
    Nonsense...I really like matching headstocks. My 2010 Daphne blue Strat is lovely and the matching headstock looks fab!  ;)
    Hehe... I really thought I'd added

"unless, of course, someone has already bought one and it is their pride and joy... in which case, it's a very nice look but not for me personally :-)"

I must have clicked Post Comment before I was finished - there was a lot of stuff going on here (post-lunch nap, etc)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I used to be very much someone who needed 'Fender' on strats, Tele's etc. I'm actually not bothered now, which probably came about when I started making my own guitars, which I prefer to play. I do generally like the 'right' headstock shape on stratty guitars or tele guitars, but not always.

My main bass for a while was a Squier that I modded. I hated Squier on the headstock so I replaced it with a regular Fender decal (In theory only whilst I owned it). I wish I hadn't changed it now though. I'm gonna remove the Fender decal, I may get a Squier or I may just leave it blank.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Any time I see a good musician, sometimes professional, using a Squier it makes me feel embarrassed for having my bias where I just couldn't get one.

I just know I'd have an irrational fear that it was somehow inferior and I couldn't be at peace.

Paying for the American Fender stops me having that unrestful mind but in reality it's all in my head to begin with.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    John_A said:
    IMO a Suhr or Anderson is just a well put together Strat, a Vigier on the other hand takes quality and innovation to a good few levels up.  Once I played one I stopped worrying about the headstock shape, they are brilliant guitars 
    Never saw, let alone played, a Vigier but I own and play an Anderson. I cannot imagine a better playing instrument than the Anderson. If the Vigier is better, as you say it is, then it is some guitar
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• The name on the headstock doesn't bother me at all, one of my favourite guitars is a Squier.  The shape though. I can't be dealing with manky looking headstocks. Mainly those that are sorta like a Fender/Squier but not. Haar's headstock shape bothers me for example. 
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    thegummy said:
    Any time I see a good musician, sometimes professional, using a Squier it makes me feel embarrassed for having my bias where I just couldn't get one.

I just know I'd have an irrational fear that it was somehow inferior and I couldn't be at peace.

Paying for the American Fender stops me having that unrestful mind but in reality it's all in my head to begin with.
    Guilty. Was watching some footage of a great guitarist the other and thinking “that’s a lovely Tele he’s got”

look it it up and it’s a Squier. Which surprised me as it was a pro musician.

Still sounded good though. Probably spent all the money on pedals
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited September 2018
    AndyR said:
    Voxman said:
    AndyR said:
    Philly_Q said:
    AndyR said:
    I am shocked!
    However... the vile painting of strat headstocks is another matter entirely, deserving of severe and possibly violent disapprobation
    Nonsense...I really like matching headstocks. My 2010 Daphne blue Strat is lovely and the matching headstock looks fab! 
    Hehe... I really thought I'd added

"unless, of course, someone has already bought one and it is their pride and joy... in which case, it's a very nice look but not for me personally :-)"

I must have clicked Post Comment before I was finished - there was a lot of stuff going on here (post-lunch nap, etc)
    LOL!  It's one of my guitars - it's not my 'pride & joy' but I do like it and it plays & sounds great too.  But disapprobation....do you honestly think that this isn't a very pretty guitar?

photo fender-usa-strat-fsr-dpb-lg2_zps357af51ejpg
    photo 929e25b675e741cecbcba55790702e58_zpsc49c4daajpeg
    photo cea3735ecf6c23f5153e156fbcee83fd_zps77ddd2fbjpeg
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    ^ It is a cute guitar. And the headstock on it's own is pretty to look at...
    But I just can't get on with the two together. Especially the last picture. It just doesn't look "right" to me.
  • rlw said:
    The name on the headstock doesn't bother me but the shape does.  I cannot be doing with the unsightly variations on the Fender headstock, Suhr, albeit one of many, being the worst in my view. 

And Vigier.
    I agree 100% with this... really  don't like the PRS or Suhr...

And yet... I now own a Suhr Alt T Pro !

And for me, if there is a better playing guitar, out there, Ive yet to play it...
    owwwwwwwww thats the suhr in the classifieds by 2019 :-P
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom