Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Allure of the Headstock

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    AndyR said:
    ^ It is a cute guitar. And the headstock on it's own is pretty to look at...
    But I just can't get on with the two together. Especially the last picture. It just doesn't look "right" to me.
    Last two taken with a crap camera.   :/
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    Matching headstocks make me get my wallet out
    Name on headstock is only important to me if I ever plan to sell it.

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
    edited September 2018
    I've only ever encountered actual brand snobbery once, and it was from a non-guitarist... as I've mentioned before my main gigging guitar for years was a purple LTD EC1000. I played metal, and I preferred the three knob control layout, 24 fret neck and thinner lighter body compared to a Les Paul I had at the time... After a gig once, while I was packing away, someone came over, told me he'd enjoyed the set, then nodded towards the guitar and said "Couldn't afford a real one then?". I replied with something like "You've obviously never played one of these", whereupon he told me didn't play. I genuinely don't understand the reason for the comment
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• not surprisingly I really like the Vigier headstock; pointy and a nice shape. The 'V' in the logo is a bit too big though. Never liked the Strat headstock; it's that big round bit at the end, just can't get on with it. Likewise any headstock with 3 tuners per side. My favourite one is the old BC Rich headstock - 6 tuners in a row, pointy and a cool logo. Appreciate it's not to all tastes though :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    The funny thing is that the only time I can remember getting it was from a photographer who was doing some band photos, who saw my guitar and asked what kind it was, and then said something like "I'm surprised you don't play a Gibson or a Fender, that's what the professionals I've worked for all use".

It was a PRS :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    The funny thing is that the only time I can remember getting it was from a photographer who was doing some band photos, who saw my guitar and asked what kind it was, and then said something like "I'm surprised you don't play a Gibson or a Fender, that's what the professionals I've worked for all use".

It was a PRS :).
    Proves you aren’t a professional then :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Couldn’t care less what’s on the headstock tbh. As long as it’s a guitar I like and it works. Just as I don’t feel the need for little squiggly logos on my clothes so long as they don’t fall apart after two weeks.
    Audiences don’t give a stuff. They ‘just’ listen to the music. Rightly so.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • not surprisingly I really like the Vigier headstock; pointy and a nice shape. The 'V' in the logo is a bit too big though. Never liked the Strat headstock; it's that big round bit at the end, just can't get on with it. Likewise any headstock with 3 tuners per side. My favourite one is the old BC Rich headstock - 6 tuners in a row, pointy and a cool logo. Appreciate it's not to all tastes though :)
    I think it should be three-a-side on a singlecut, but anything Stratty with three-a-side just looks foul, to me. For BC Rich, I prefer the three-a-side on a Mockingbird, the six-in-line just doesn't look right. Other opinions are of course available
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    AlexC said:
    Couldn’t care less what’s on the headstock tbh. As long as it’s a guitar I like and it works. Just as I don’t feel the need for little squiggly logos on my clothes so long as they don’t fall apart after two weeks.
    Audiences don’t give a stuff. They ‘just’ listen to the music. Rightly so.
    See I'm immune to the brand brainwashing in other areas like clothes etc.

With guitars I don't think it's so much that I actually care about the logo, it's that deep down I'm not fully convinced Squier (for e.g) actually are as good as more expensive Fenders despite what the internet hype says.

There are those guitars with Fender logos but are the same price as the lowest Squiers or even lower. I wouldn't go near one of them either so it's not actually about the logo.
  • The only concern for me buying something without a big name brand is the resale value, I'm sure there's a lot of great guitars out there but because of lacking the 'Fender' or 'Gibson' on the headstock they are left to languish on the classifieds for months until heavily discounted. So in a way it's a circular problem for those like me that are GAS afflicted :)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    edited September 2018
    ICBM said:

It was a PRS .
    The answer to him is that you are surprised he was not using a Hasselblad or a Mamiya as that is what professional photographers use :)
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom