Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The best high-end Strat-style guitars - According to Musicradar

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• duotone said:
    carlos said:
    sweepy said:
    No Suhr ? 
    Probably haven't been buying much advertising space on Music Radar.
    +1, I thought the same
    Really?

I’ve not read Guitarist for a long time - but I doubt LSL and Xotic are throwing much into their advertising coffers.
    But I bet the distributor is, or somewhere like Peach 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysoft said:
    richardhomer said:
    Really?

I’ve not read Guitarist for a long time - but I doubt LSL and Xotic are throwing much into their advertising coffers.
    Peach stock Suhr & LSL - so I’m not sure the argument holds water.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2240
    Philly_Q said:
    sweepy said:
    No Suhr ? 
    I can't boogie.
    if you play a certain song lol given
  • Flippin’ lol.

A Strat is a Fender.

All you ‘high end’ lovers/manufacturers fook off, make your own guitar.

That is all  :o
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysoft said:
    richardhomer said:
    Really?

Suhr sell themselves, stuff like LSLs need more help because there’s a new fad builder every week who supposedly builds the best Strat ever. They’ve got a wall of LSL and Xotics, but I don’t know who would choose one over a CS Strat, so they’d want those pushed. I reckon in a years time you’ll struggle to get stuff like xotics and LSLs, the stocks will be run down and they’ll be less desirable due to the influx of them into the used market.

seen it all before.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Flippin’ lol.

A Strat is a Fender.

How very open minded of you. Actually a Strat is a Strat and Fender the company have the rights to the original headstock design etc, but it’s not like Leo is still at the helm and it doesn’t mean someone can’t put their own take on it. 

I can can kinda see why someone would go a different route, for all the options of the Custom Shop, I found it incredibly difficult to find one with the spec I wanted. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22893
    dindude said:
    I can can kinda see why someone would go a different route, for all the options of the Custom Shop, I found it incredibly difficult to find one with the spec I wanted. 
    The only thing I wanted but couldn't get when I ordered mine was stainless frets. 

But that's just me, I'm sure there are many other options they don't offer - other manufacturers' hardware, for example.  And presumably you're limited to mostly Fender pickups, standard electronics etc but I wasn't bothered about that.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited September 2018
    A Strat is a great and iconic instrument but if it didn't need tweaks here and there to improve things, be it locking tuners, steel trem block, pickup upgrade etc or even a Floyd, Gotoh, SS Frets, fancy switching or HB in the bridge then these Superstrats wouldn't have been born and it wouldn't be the most modded of guitars.

There's room for all of them and obviously, demand.

I remember buying a nice MIJ Strat in the early 90s and taking it to Chandlers for one of their 'superstrat upgrades'. After discussing it with them, looking at the pros and cons, like cost, features, resale value etc I got a mega-deal from Doug and ended up part exchanging it instead for a Tom Anderson which ticked all the boxes from the get go.
  • FWIW (not much, admittedly)...the H7 verdict:

All six of the MR choices look like shit.

The End.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    Is the Cutlass a Leo Fender design?
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    prlgmnr said:
    Is the Cutlass a Leo Fender design?
    Yep. http://blog.music-man.com/instruments/introducing-the-new-2018-cutlass-stingray-guitars/

“The instruments are an update to the original Ernie Ball Music Man Modern Classics that were designed by Leo Fender in 1975.”
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Philly_Q said:
    dindude said:
    The only thing I wanted but couldn't get when I ordered mine was stainless frets. 

But that's just me, I'm sure there are many other options they don't offer - other manufacturers' hardware, for example.  And presumably you're limited to mostly Fender pickups, standard electronics etc but I wasn't bothered about that.
    Was thinking more what’s in the shops rather than custom order.

Firstly I wanted a NOS finish, that immidiately narrows it to about 10 Custom Shop Strats nationwide!

Then preferred neck choice was ‘65 C, but compromised on Oval 60’s as simply none about.

Would have also liked a satin back to the neck but hey I can do that myself.

Pickups - 60’s fine, but would have liked something a wee bit hotter in the bridge.

So I guess what I’m saying is I’ve ended up with a great guitar, but it will need tweaking to get it just right, but actually something like a Suhr Classic is probably closer to my spec and more readily available, that’s why they are valid options.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22893
    edited September 2018
    dindude said:
    Was thinking more what’s in the shops rather than custom order.

Firstly I wanted a NOS finish, that immidiately narrows it to about 10 Custom Shop Strats nationwide!

Then preferred neck choice was ‘65 C, but compromised on Oval 60’s as simply none about.

Would have also liked a satin back to the neck but hey I can do that myself.

Pickups - 60’s fine, but would have liked something a wee bit hotter in the bridge.

So I guess what I’m saying is I’ve ended up with a great guitar, but it will need tweaking to get it just right, but actually something like a Suhr Classic is probably closer to my spec and more readily available, that’s why they are valid options.

Fair enough, if you're buying off the shelf then it is hard to find particular combinations of features.

The vast majority of rosewood-board '60s CS Strats seem to have the mid-60s Oval C profile, the vast majority of '50s CS Strats have the 57 or 10/56 V profiles.  I'd quite like a '60s Strat with a rosewood board and a 10/56 V - I have seem a few but only as dealer custom orders.

My Strat has mostly '70s spec but with a 54 U profile neck, I'd never have found that in a shop.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    timmysoft said:
    timmysoft said:
    richardhomer said:
    Really?

Suhr sell themselves, stuff like LSLs need more help because there’s a new fad builder every week who supposedly builds the best Strat ever. They’ve got a wall of LSL and Xotics, but I don’t know who would choose one over a CS Strat, so they’d want those pushed. I reckon in a years time you’ll struggle to get stuff like xotics and LSLs, the stocks will be run down and they’ll be less desirable due to the influx of them into the used market.

seen it all before.
    Dunno. Knaggs isn’t on their list even though at least two of their writers have the horn for them and personally own & play them (their “technical” videos often feature them). But doubt Knaggs advertises with them even though Peach stocks them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Best strat I ever played is the one @Del_Preston built using Washburn N5 parts. Admittedly, haven't played that many strat-type guitars. Anyway, what IS a strat?
  • carlos said:
    Best strat I ever played is the one @Del_Preston built using Washburn N5 parts. Admittedly, haven't played that many strat-type guitars. Anyway, what IS a strat?
    Haha, thanks mate...  That's nice to hear!
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Collings said:
    Ooh xotic looks good!
    I have to say I do like the look of Xotic but seem's like lot of money for a guitar with key components sourced from the far east. 

That's not to suggest they don't play/sound nice..
    I've just brought an Xotic XSC after spending a good few months trying strat type guitars in that price range and it was by far the best for me.

I thought they were largely USA made based on the info they have one their website regards origin but maybe its how I've interpreted it.

They list it on their website.

http://xotic.us/country-of-origin

Click on the Xotic Guitars tab.

That definaltey sounds like made off shore and assembled in the USA.
  • Flippin’ lol.

A Strat is a Fender.

Amen
  • carlos said:
    It’s a Fender, whatever any southern big girls blouse tells ya  ;)

If you want something modern go spec a CS or buy an Ibanez RG550/Jem