New Schaller strap lock design

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72379
    TINMAN82 said:

With the matchstick method, the screw is being jammed in with matchsticks and glue (like you’d jam a nail in). It may be secure but it’s not running in a thread, particularly if it’s jammed in when the glue is wet as was suggested.
    Yes it is. You don't "jam" it in, you screw it in exactly as normal. It forms the thread by compressing the new wood.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    You could be right. But my assumption is that the screw cannot then be loosened (backed out) and tightened repeatedly as you could with the original thread in wood. If the thread is too fragile for that then it may work loose. My assumption is that the screw is acting more like a barbed nail. I’ve never tested this and if you guys have and it’s worked for decades then you’ve proven me wrong, which is great!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Those new locks look horrible - are Schaller completely discontinuing the old type?
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Brize said:
    Those new locks look horrible - are Schaller completely discontinuing the old type?
    Based on experience so far I hope not. The fingerwheel is a definite improvement over nut and washer though.
  • Another +1 for the new S-locks, the small set screw to stop the wheel loosening is a big improvement over the old method where the nut would loosen (unless fixed in place with a bit of superglue).  Not changed over the buttons as no need yet.