Has anyone imported any Analogman stuff directly from him?

What's Hot
jfraze5150jfraze5150 Frets: 262
Was just wondering if anyone has had a Sunface or something similar custom made and imported and how much it cost all-in. The used prices for his stuff in the UK now is ridiculous. I bought a Sunlion on here a few years ago for £250 but they're now going for £400+. They are only $300 new (depending on spec and extras etc) so was considering just getting one direct.

I have a cunning plan too... my fiancé's folks live in North Carolina. I could have it sent there and then they send it over so I avoid the import charges...

So yeah... anyone have any insight?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• All the prices for custom builds are on the web site... might be a long wait though !
  • vizviz Frets: 10731
    edited September 2018
    Yes just email him and ask. He’s a right cool dude he is. He just bypassed my Whammy 1 :)

http://i.imgur.com/lSpu5Ag.jpg
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 215
    edited September 2018
    Sadly, he charges big dollar for shipping outside the US which heavily increases the amount that gets charged for taxes. I’d go for the North Caroline folks option... I had a King of Tone delivered to an American friend who happened to travel to Europe not long after..
  • Depends what you're after really. Sunfaces dispatch in 1-2 weeks apparently. Same with Sunlions. KoT is still 18 months though. I'm aware the prices and stuff are up there and its possible, I was just wondering what the import fees are like and if anyone has bought direct? 

I've priced a Sunface  with low gain NKT, green light and on/off volume pot. It comes to $250 and then $50 postage. I'd imagine import taxes are roughly about $75 so thats $425 already. Thats £330ish. But they're still going on ebay in the UK for £400-500!

edited September 2018
    Yep I think shipping and tax for the WH1 was only 40 or 60 bucks or so, but that was because I was only taxed for the cost of the mod, not the pedal itself, because of course it was mine and I’d sent it to him. Though it took a week of discussions with UK customs to explain that!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Emiel said:
    Sadly, he charges big dollar for shipping outside the US which heavily increases the amount that gets charged for taxes. I’d go for the North Caroline folks option... I had a King of Tone delivered to an American friend who happened to travel to Europe not long after..
    Yup... thats my plan I think. The same Sunface I've built is only $258 posted to in-laws. Thats under £200! I could buy two, punt one here and cover the cost of both! (Not that I would of course... B) )
  • I can’t recall exactly but I think all in my KoT cost £270 ish total inc insured delivery and a Cv7005 Sunface cost about £220 - bought both at same time to combine delivery. I think the customs charges were minimal as they declared a value of $50. I understand some people have been stung at customs though. 
    Hope that helps. 
  • viz said:
    Yep I think shipping and tax for the WH1 was only 40 or 60 bucks or so, but that was because I was only taxed for the cost of the mod, not the pedal itself. Though it took a week of discussions with UK customs to explain that!
    Thats pretty cool. I sent a Catalinbread Belle Epoch back for a free repair to Catalinbread... but they didn't specify it was for a repair when they sent it back (a simple tick of a box when sending) and I got stung £40 on delivery (£10 of which the Post Office added on themselves)

• mattdavis said:
    I can’t recall exactly but I think all in my KoT cost £270 ish total inc insured delivery and a Cv7005 Sunface cost about £220 - bought both at same time to combine delivery. I think the customs charges were minimal as they declared a value of $50. I understand some people have been stung at customs though. 
    Hope that helps. 
    That's REALLY cool! SO Mike saved you a lot by declaring it at only $50 for you? Thats cool but not something I'd like to gamble on (would also feel a bit rude asking him)
  • Think I'm gonna get it made and sent to my in-laws and they will bring it across when they visit for Thanksgiving. Cheers for input everyone!
  • bwetsbwets Frets: 162
    Think I'm gonna get it made and sent to my in-laws and they will bring it across when they visit for Thanksgiving. Cheers for input everyone!
    Definitely do that. You might have to pay VAT+import duty on the total amount (including postage) otherwise. 
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    I bought my ARDX20 direct and I really don't remember him adding an unreasonable amount on to send it to the UK. 
    It came very quickly too.
  • I bought a KoT direct, shipping was reasonable and import duty was ok, I think he puts the value lower than strictly correct on the customs docket. 

I’ve been considering a Sunlion recently as well.

• mattdavis said:
    I can’t recall exactly but I think all in my KoT cost £270 ish total inc insured delivery and a Cv7005 Sunface cost about £220 - bought both at same time to combine delivery. I think the customs charges were minimal as they declared a value of $50. I understand some people have been stung at customs though. 
    Hope that helps. 
    That's REALLY cool! SO Mike saved you a lot by declaring it at only $50 for you? Thats cool but not something I'd like to gamble on (would also feel a bit rude asking him)
    I didn’t ask him - he just does it. Made me think the pedal probably only costs him about $50! Obviously to the purchaser it’s higher value with its retail price, hence the pricy insured delivery cost. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Bought a KoT. Note from post office through the door saying I had to and pay about £18 for import.
    Thought that was ok.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So it seems he’s doing folks a favour with the import charges! That’s really cool. Thanks everyone. The trigger is getting pulled on a low gain NKT sunface, green light and on/off volume pot on pay day this month! 
    So it seems he’s doing folks a favour with the import charges! That’s really cool. Thanks everyone. The trigger is getting pulled on a low gain NKT sunface, green light and on/off volume pot on pay day this month! 
    I doubt he does; I’m sure they have standard policies and Mike’s scrupulously honest about taxes; the $50 value sounds like it must have been a mistake IMO. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    So it seems he’s doing folks a favour with the import charges! That’s really cool. Thanks everyone. The trigger is getting pulled on a low gain NKT sunface, green light and on/off volume pot on pay day this month! 
    I doubt he does; I’m sure they have standard policies and Mike’s scrupulously honest about taxes; the $50 value sounds like it must have been a mistake IMO. 
    I dunno... that’s several people have said they’ve paid less on import prices than they should have. $18 for a KoT?! I’ve paid more import charges on vinyl and t shirts from the States. 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

I'm too stupid for pedals and thought he was a very interesting interview subject on ToneTalk.

• mattdavis said:

mattdavis said:
    Hope that helps. 
    I didn’t ask him - he just does it. Made me think the pedal probably only costs him about $50! Obviously to the purchaser it’s higher value with its retail price, hence the pricy insured delivery cost. 
    Ah! I understand now, so you think he put the COST price as the stated value when sent to keep the import charges lower rather than the retail price? That makes sense.